Nexus 7 stopped charging while on

ChesapeakeJohnny

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
John
Anyone else have the issue with their Nexus 7, where the unit won't charge unless turned off?
I've done a factory reset and updated with latest version of OS, per Asus tech support help, but to no avail.
The December 2012-bought unit is going back to Asus in Texas on Monday.

John

You didn't say if you were using the wall charger or a USB port.

Only thing I've noticed is when it's plugged into a PC USB port. I think certain versions of that port put out just enough current to power the nexus(when it's on) but not enough to charge it.

Can also happen with an incompatible charger or a bad cable. But it should charge fine as long as you use the original charger and cable.

Hooking to a computer USB port probably won't charge while on, nor will most iPad chargers. I know this was discussed on one of the other Nexus threads as well.

This issue was with factory 120V wall charger and factory cable. Also occurring when plugged into my 2.1A 12V charger plug utilized in plane. It wouldn't recognize presence of charger when unit was powered on (not even receiving the charge), but had no problems recognizing that a charger was connected when the unit was powered off.

Didn't seem related to the myriad other charging issues reported herein -- it's likely an onboard hardware issue, as factory reset (done twice, plus latest OS update post-rest) did nothing to remedy.

John

Anyone else have the issue with their Nexus 7, where the unit won't charge unless turned off?
I've done a factory reset and updated with latest version of OS, per Asus tech support help, but to no avail.
The December 2012-bought unit is going back to Asus in Texas on Monday.

John

Last edited:
Back