Nexus 7 & Garmin GDL39 - bluetooth issues

Does Garmin even admit or say that there will be an updated version?
Still on the fence with Garmin as a whole...

It seems much better with the latest Garmin software upgrade on the Nexus 7. My house has a bunch of 2.4GHz traffic and I could never really get it to work at all at home or flying. Now it's stable and seems to be fine for hours(admittedly not going anywhere, I'll try it in a plane one of these days.) Now, if they'd just get the flight plan page to show distance between waypoints so I can actually use it to do simplistic planning instead of hopping between that and the 'trip planner' which does no planning.

Now you are asking a lot...
I use this app 1-3x a week all VFR some trips, some local. I am not yet running a GDL, because I think that they still don't have it all in order. Why is it that WE the Paying public, pilots, customers, are THEIR guniea pigs, instead of releasing a finished & functioning version. I for 1 do not have the $$$ to throw their way, to experiment with. I'll throw the same $$$ to my plane, trips, etc... I have over 2000 hrs. without... I could be safer with the new technology, but refuse to fund garmin, or any company for their growth... Just my 2cents :)

Newbie with a Nexus and GDL 39 here that won't bluetooth easily either....

Other than that, I like the app. When it is paired, it's a dream to fly with.

That's an idea to return the GDL and wait for an updated unit. I think it's the GDL too. The Nexus bluetooth's to everything else easy. :confused:

Does Garmin even admit or say that there will be an updated version?
Still on the fence with Garmin as a whole...

No. Per my telcon with Garmin Aviation Products support today, they are unaware of a 2nd generation release planned in the future.
Doesn't mean it won't happen, just that it's not imminent (or so they say)

No. Per my telcon with Garmin Aviation Products support today, they are unaware of a 2nd generation release planned in the future.
Doesn't mean it won't happen, just that it's not imminent (or so they say)

We flew 1.2 hours with the latest version today. The GDL-39 paired easily, and -- more importantly -- STAYED paired.

We had traffic on the new split screen display all the way. It was great.

In that case don't buy a new airplane.

Now you are asking a lot...
I use this app 1-3x a week all VFR some trips, some local. I am not yet running a GDL, because I think that they still don't have it all in order. Why is it that WE the Paying public, pilots, customers, are THEIR guniea pigs, instead of releasing a finished & functioning version. I for 1 do not have the $$$ to throw their way, to experiment with. I'll throw the same $$$ to my plane, trips, etc... I have over 2000 hrs. without... I could be safer with the new technology, but refuse to fund garmin, or any company for their growth... Just my 2cents :)

Jay,
Are you using any updated software / firmware for the GDL39? As I understand, Garmin says that the connect issues are there & not the Nexus. I still have not bought the GDL, as I am skeptical of the consistent connection issues. IF I am using a system, I want to have some faith in it. I know that the handhelds are not the same as panel mounted systems, but there are issues here that keep me too concerned. Again, I don't think its fair that WE become the paying guniea pigs for Garmin.
CaptGary

Jay,
Are you using any updated software / firmware for the GDL39? As I understand, Garmin says that the connect issues are there & not the Nexus. I still have not bought the GDL, as I am skeptical of the consistent connection issues. IF I am using a system, I want to have some faith in it. I know that the handhelds are not the same as panel mounted systems, but there are issues here that keep me too concerned. Again, I don't think its fair that WE become the paying guniea pigs for Garmin.
CaptGary

Whatever they did in this last update has changed everything. On our last two flights (1.2 and 1.5 hours) the GDL-39 has connected automatically as soon as I turned the unit on, with Garmin Pilot already running on the Nexus 7.

I have no idea if this is just coincidental with this last updated of GP, or if they tweaked something in the software, but not only did it connect effortlessly, it STAYED connected throughout the flights. And the new split screen traffic display is terrific.

This is a complete turnaround of our last several flights, where the unit repeatedly disconnected.

Hey Jay,
We all appreciate the honest feedback. I will stay tuned for some follow-ups.
CaptGary

I really appreciated all the information here. With the recent price decrease I just ordered the GDL39. I will be paired with my iPad mini and Galaxy Tab2 (backup and for the daughter to watch) in flight.

Thanks

I tried to trial a GDL39 today...at an authorized dealer. Could not sync to my Nexus or my Galaxy III... I think I'm done with the trials... I plan on getting a iPadMini & sell my Nexus7. I am looking at using WingX Pro. I'm doing a long x-country this week & want to use the new system, over GP.
I am done with GP / android & have lost faith in the app as a whole...
I had hoped to have a good system with GP on the Nexus & set up the GDL39 as the "info feeder" for Nexrad & maybe some traffic.
I'll keep in the loop here as I care to hear everyone's feedback on their experience.

I tried to trial a GDL39 today...at an authorized dealer. Could not sync to my Nexus or my Galaxy III... I think I'm done with the trials... I plan on getting a iPadMini & sell my Nexus7. I am looking at using WingX Pro. I'm doing a long x-country this week & want to use the new system, over GP.
I am done with GP / android & have lost faith in the app as a whole...
I had hoped to have a good system with GP on the Nexus & set up the GDL39 as the "info feeder" for Nexrad & maybe some traffic.
I'll keep in the loop here as I care to hear everyone's feedback on their experience.

Sorry to hear it. I routinely connect both of those units to the GDL-39. And, since the last update of GP, it actually STAYS connected.

What makes you think it will be better with the iPad?

Took a 2 hour flight with the Nexus 7, the newest Garmin Pilot and my GDL39 this last week and it stayed solidly locked the whole time with no issues, no crashes. Weather worked fine, not many targets near me since the plane didn't have ADS-B Out, but lots of other targets around. Since I was flying a plastic airplane(Cirrus) I just tossed the GDL39 on the back seat.

Update

I've returned my GDL39 and am awaiting refund from Garmin. Even after multiple updates to the Nexus 7 and two GDL39's, the system has not been reliable (zero failures per cross country flight).
Am keeping the Nexus 7 but will wait for a second gen device.

I'm going to miss having onboard weather!!
John

I have been flying with a yoke mounted Nexus 7 and an iPad 2. I agree with the comments about the Android version of the app being more problematic. I have had numerous crashes of the Pilot app on the Nexus and almost nil of the iPad. I just don't trust Pilot on the Nexus. Lately the biggest issue has been screen load times. I have waited 10 to 15 seconds for the Home button to come up. Never saw this until a recent rev update cycle.

I have been flying with a yoke mounted Nexus 7 and an iPad 2. I agree with the comments about the Android version of the app being more problematic. I have had numerous crashes of the Pilot app on the Nexus and almost nil of the iPad. I just don't trust Pilot on the Nexus. Lately the biggest issue has been screen load times. I have waited 10 to 15 seconds for the Home button to come up. Never saw this until a recent rev update cycle.

I have noticed some button lag since the last update, but it's never approached 15 seconds. More like 2 -- which is still unacceptable, BTW.

I haven't had the app itself crash since last winter, many updates ago.

Back