Next up - Commercial and CFI

askulte

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Airmet Sierra
Hi guys,
I just got my IFR rating (http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62165) and am planning to start the studying for my Commercial and CFI knowledge exams. I'll probably get the advanced ground instructor rating while I'm at it.

Once that's done, I'll worry about finding a complex SEL airplane for the commercial (know any around KHFD?). Another option is to join a 2nd flying club with a complex plane. Our club, Connecticut Valley Flyers, has a C172K with a constant speed prop 180hp conversion (we have an opening, by the way).

What learning materials do you recommend? I've used Gleim to study for the knowledge exams, so I figured that would be a good start, but if others are better (ASA, Jepp, ?), I'm all ears.

Are any of the videos worth it? I've used Sporty's for private and IFR, and liked it. I've seen King videos before - Commercial "kits" are just under $400, but I usually do well with book learning (easier to read in bed than watching a screen with my wife trying to sleep!).

Thanks for the guidance! I found a few more thread I need to read through.

I used Dauntless for my iPad for the CFI/FOI writtens. I absolutely recommend it, very good software and there is an option online to track your progress and it puts your progress in graphs. Very helpful.

For the CFI ground stuff I did all self-study. I just read everything I could, joined WINGS (didn't find it helpful though), and I watched the King video (the $170 one) of the mock checkride. I took notes on it and it was very helpful.

Back