Next steps? Shoulder not healing after spactacular fall.

I don't think I'll be at eastside Amy time soon lol.
Unless they have hydrocodone on tap.

This is bad. And I feel for you troy.You had it worse than this.

The cure just became worse than the original problem. Heh.

Not sure what path you are going down there but sure.
2 days after having my wisdom teeth out, I was in severe pain as well.

the first week or two after my appendectomy I was in a lot of pain.
I don't think anyone is going to have surgery and feel good 2 days later.

But yep right now I am in much more pain than I was 3 days ago. I think it is a little early to think I am going to regret having my shoulder fixed and that the pain I am feeling now will be chronic if that is what was being insinuated.

Thank you. Yes that is what they gave me just before its a dating me for the operation they did not give me any to take home I kind of wish they had that stuff was nice

But yep right now I am in much more pain than I was 3 days ago. I think it is a little early to think I am going to regret having my shoulder fixed and that the pain I am feeling now will be chronic if that is what was being insinuated.

Surgery hurts, they don't play that up before you go in, but for me it was part of the deal. Then you need to deal with the muscle atrophy, again part of the process. It will come back and you'll be fine, positive thinking goes a long way.

That's the interesting thing about disc surgery, I felt excellent right away. Compared to the prior pain, post OP pain was like a paper cut.

Got ice on the shoulder.
Incredible pain in my jaw and when swallowing.
Like really bad. I guess that is from the intibation.

I'm sore all over.

As far as how long it took for the anesthesia to kick in, he gave me some drug to keep me groggy and then I'm pretty sure I was out before he even administered the propofol

Ask your doc for a cold therapy machine. You put a sleeve around your shoulder, plug it in to a machine, and it circulates cold water around your shoulder. I loved it.

Glad you are out of the surgery now. Yes, Versed was a wonder drug when my boys had surgery. Hope the recovery is fast and smooth. Are you going to be doing any PT?

Glad you are out of the surgery now. Yes, Versed was a wonder drug when my boys had surgery. Hope the recovery is fast and smooth. Are you going to be doing any PT?

Will find out tomorrow when I go in to have the pain pump removed.
I was groggy but I think I recall him stating no PT would be necessary because there was no soft tissue repair, only bone.

I was beyond drugged though so I might have totally invented that.

Cool. People I know who did PT for shoulder swear it was miraculous. Even better if you don't need it at all. :)

Ask your doc for a cold therapy machine. You put a sleeve around your shoulder, plug it in to a machine, and it circulates cold water around your shoulder. I loved it.
Fantastic machine :yes:

It will get better, Bryan. Keep in mind some days will be good while others will be quite painful for the next week or so. Hang in there!

Will find out tomorrow when I go in to have the pain pump removed.
I was groggy but I think I recall him stating no PT would be necessary because there was no soft tissue repair, only bone.

My doc told me at first I wouldn't need PT, I was still in a good amount of pain at two week followup, so I decided to get it anyway with his approval, good thing in my mind, PT explained where the issues were (namely weak muscles from the surgery) and how to fix. I'm impatient and know I would have messed it up. If you are in pain at your follow up I would get PT.

They were stingy and did not share any of the happy drugs with me, so I remember what the doctor said. ;)

You asked if no stitching meant no PT. He said you would still benefit from some to strengthen the muscles, but probably would not need as much as you would have, had he needed to sew a tear.

That's the interesting thing about disc surgery, I felt excellent right away. Compared to the prior pain, post OP pain was like a paper cut.

It took a while for everything to heal up, but in my final evaluation appointment this morning the surgeon returned me to normal activities, no restrictions. But, you are correct, I did not have significant post-op pain and as I recall I got off the pain meds fairly quickly. Keep in mind, Henning, that my bod has a few extra years on it over you.

I don't recommend herniating a disc in your back, but if anyone needs a good neurosurgeon to fix it I can recommend one. :yes:

I didn't say it wouldn't get better. The statement was in the present tense.

Question for people w/ Medical knowledge.

First: I am feeling pretty good. They took out the pain pump and I don't like pills so I have swapped out my prescribed meds for a couple ibuprofen and hopefully will stop all of it tomorrow. I met w/ the Doc, we went over the images and I am 100X better than I thought I would be going in. All Good news

So question is this Tue, Wed, Thur I was in incredible pain in all of my joints. My legs were killing me at the hip joints. It was unbearable. All my muscles were on fire and I hurt everywhere. It felt like trying a new sport for the first time that your body isn't used to.
My jaw was probably the worst but I assume that was from being propped open. I probably slept 1-2 hrs each night.

I asked the PA and she said that is pretty common, it is from the anesthesia. She didn't have a lot of detail about it and I have been put under before (many years ago) and don't recall this.

Anyone else have this experience or know of a cause after surgery? Maybe it was the meds but that seems like an odd side effect. Quite possibly I was tense all over for hours thinking abut the upcoming procedure.

Maybe while I was out they did that game where two of them held my hands and two of them held my feet and they swung me around and around and let kids run under me. :dunno:

The pain all started to fade late yesterday so I am ok but just curious at this point.

Question for people w/ Medical knowledge.

First: I am feeling pretty good. They took out the pain pump and I don't like pills so I have swapped out my prescribed meds for a couple ibuprofen and hopefully will stop all of it tomorrow. I met w/ the Doc, we went over the images and I am 100X better than I thought I would be going in. All Good news

So question is this Tue, Wed, Thur I was in incredible pain in all of my joints. My legs were killing me at the hip joints. It was unbearable. All my muscles were on fire and I hurt everywhere. It felt like trying a new sport for the first time that your body isn't used to.
My jaw was probably the worst but I assume that was from being propped open. I probably slept 1-2 hrs each night.

I asked the PA and she said that is pretty common, it is from the anesthesia. She didn't have a lot of detail about it and I have been put under before (many years ago) and don't recall this.

Anyone else have this experience or know of a cause after surgery? Maybe it was the meds but that seems like an odd side effect. Quite possibly I was tense all over for hours thinking abut the upcoming procedure.

Maybe while I was out they did that game where two of them held my hands and two of them held my feet and they swung me around and around and let kids run under me. :dunno:

The pain all started to fade late yesterday so I am ok but just curious at this point.
What you describe here sounds like Succinylcholine induced post op myalgia. After anesthesia is induced with an agent which puts you to sleep, a muscle relaxant (paralytic drug) is commonly used to make placement of an endotracheal tube easier. Succinylcholine is one of the drugs which may be chosen for this. It is classified as a depolarizing agent as it causes all skeletal muscle to contract uncoordinated briefly after administration before true relaxation takes place. As a side effect of that uncoordinated contraction some patients experience post op myalgia or muscle pains. This is one of the reasons I try to avoid this drug. Read more here:
http://www.stopbang.ca/pdf/pub125.pdf

What you describe here sounds like Succinylcholine induced post op myalgia. After anesthesia is induced with an agent which puts you to sleep, a muscle relaxant (paralytic drug) is commonly used to make placement of an endotracheal tube easier. Succinylcholine is one of the drugs which may be chosen for this. It is classified as a depolarizing agent as it causes all skeletal muscle to contract uncoordinated briefly after administration before true relaxation takes place. As a side effect of that uncoordinated contraction some patients experience post op myalgia or muscle pains. This is one of the reasons I try to avoid this drug. Read more here:

Wow! That sounds right on the money.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Geeze, we could have had some fun with 6PC's question before you got all medical and everything. :)

Interesting answer though. But I'll contend that the nurses had their way with him before they took him into recovery. ;)

Geeze, we could have had some fun with 6PC's question before you got all medical and everything. :)

Interesting answer though. But I'll contend that the nurses had their way with him before they took him into recovery. ;)

Hey! those nurses were all male :eek:

Ewe....... We didn't need to hear about that.

well - at least he was given that muscle relaxer. So no tearing.

Ewe -- again.

I want to take my stitches out.
There are 3 holes each with one stitch.

My nurse friend is too important in the ER to answer my texts I guess

Procedure was on Tuesday and they want me to come in on Thur and get them taken out.

$40 copay and miss an hour of work seems a bit much for something I can do myself (and have done before) I am not concerned about weather or not to do it myself just what do I gain by waiting 3 more days?

The cuts are tiny and seem healed. and the stitches are starting to itch and for whatever he left them freakishly long.

Oops, guess they untied themselves! Sorry doc, denied you the sadistic moment...anyway, I thought 7 days was pretty standard, not 10.

Shoulder is good but the incision points are killing me.
I don't have any pain in the joint but where they cut, is real bad.

Was hoping to fly today but the weather had other ideas.

Shoulder is good but the incision points are killing me.
I don't have any pain in the joint but where they cut, is real bad.

Was hoping to fly today but the weather had other ideas.

Erin, I think 6PC is sand bagging so you have to do all of the work around the house. ;)

Erin, I think 6PC is sand bagging so you have to do all of the work around the house. ;)

Nope. He drove an hour each way yesterday to get a new dresser for our daughter's room. Moved her old one out and the new one in. And then while I was out at a fundraising event last night, he sent me a picture of her room -he totally organized and put everything away.

He's pulling his weight. :yes:

That being said, he could certainly clean the kitchen today. It needs it. :D

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back