Nexrad and OSH

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
If not for the onboard Nexrad on my Garmin 496, I wouldn't have made it to OSH. Flying northwest out of Jax, eastern Georgia, the Carolinas and Va/W.Va were awash with storms that were predicted to be isolated, but popped up much earlier than forecast and in much greater number. However, it was early in the day, and they had not yet built up to Tstorms. The strikefinder was blank. The onboard Nexrad, however, was showing alarming amounts of red and even a purple spot scattered along my route of flight. Looking out the window, it was an ominous sight. The Nexrad picture, however, helped me pick my way around them. In days of yore, I would have hesitated to go around cells for fear of hitting a sucker hole, but with the radar pic you can see what's behind. Note I was in VMC for most of this leg, so I could reconcile the view out the window with the view on the screen.

Made it up to OSH in "only" 6.5 hours. Did the OSH thing, and then it was time to come home. Departed ATW IFR and had to circle the airport to climb to 8000 before ATC would let me head on course past OSH. For this trip, I was heading west of Chicago instead of over Lake Michigan, because the nasty weather was piling up along my eastern route. South of Chicago, however, there was a repeat of the Carolinas situation, except this time a little more IMC. Still, I was able to make it around. The storms now were a little more mature and most were showing up on the strikefinder, enhancing my ability to spot them and verify the nexrad picture. Got to south Georgia, and found my path blocked by storms. ATC wanted to vector me between two, and had I not had the big picture I would have accepted the vector. However, I saw what he did not and opted for a run around the west that added significantly to my trip. A Bonanza flying behind me was not so fortunate, and ended up backtracking and eventually following me.

All told, 13.5 hours round trip, with about 8 in actual -- including the westbound leg over Lake Michigan. I used to be a little bit of a skeptic WRT Nexrad, due to lag times. But now I'm a believer.

I concur. Nexrad had made flights I would have cancelled into uneventful VFR experiences.

Joe

If not for the onboard Nexrad on my Garmin 496, I wouldn't have made it to OSH. Flying northwest out of Jax, eastern Georgia, the Carolinas and Va/W.Va were awash with storms that were predicted to be isolated, but popped up much earlier than forecast and in much greater number. However, it was early in the day, and they had not yet built up to Tstorms. The strikefinder was blank. The onboard Nexrad, however, was showing alarming amounts of red and even a purple spot scattered along my route of flight. Looking out the window, it was an ominous sight. The Nexrad picture, however, helped me pick my way around them. In days of yore, I would have hesitated to go around cells for fear of hitting a sucker hole, but with the radar pic you can see what's behind. Note I was in VMC for most of this leg, so I could reconcile the view out the window with the view on the screen.

Made it up to OSH in "only" 6.5 hours. Did the OSH thing, and then it was time to come home. Departed ATW IFR and had to circle the airport to climb to 8000 before ATC would let me head on course past OSH. For this trip, I was heading west of Chicago instead of over Lake Michigan, because the nasty weather was piling up along my eastern route. South of Chicago, however, there was a repeat of the Carolinas situation, except this time a little more IMC. Still, I was able to make it around. The storms now were a little more mature and most were showing up on the strikefinder, enhancing my ability to spot them and verify the nexrad picture. Got to south Georgia, and found my path blocked by storms. ATC wanted to vector me between two, and had I not had the big picture I would have accepted the vector. However, I saw what he did not and opted for a run around the west that added significantly to my trip. A Bonanza flying behind me was not so fortunate, and ended up backtracking and eventually following me.

All told, 13.5 hours round trip, with about 8 in actual -- including the westbound leg over Lake Michigan. I used to be a little bit of a skeptic WRT Nexrad, due to lag times. But now I'm a believer.

I used my 496 for our first long time ever, from Atlanta to Venice, FL. My wife grumped a bit about the price when I bought it, and was singing its praises after the trip. Like you I have a Strikefinder on board as well, between the two and my Mark I eyeballs (I am VFR only) the trip was uneventful except for deviation delays.

I was amazed at the accuracy of the thing....

If not for the onboard Nexrad on my Garmin 496,
Now that I have one, I can see that I still can't get home when storms are in my way. I think the Garmin 596 should have an option of not only being able to SEE storms, but also to MOVE them. :)

Now that I have one, I can see that I still can't get home when storms are in my way. I think the Garmin 596 should have an option of not only being able to SEE storms, but also to MOVE them. :)
It will. That's part of the delay. There is some kind of hardware/software integration issue. I believe it has something to do with Garmin's inability to keep the little elves IN the unit.

Don't have a 496, but do have a Flight Cheetah FL 190 and can attest to the capability of Nexrad and using it to "see" and avoid bad weather. This unit combined with the strikefinder adds a lot of confidence and avoidance ability to making trips.

The one big worry is having to control overconfidence in the unit as time goes on. :yes: It is important to remember this is only one more tool in the toolbox when flying the flight until we develop the ability to move the weather as Diana wants. I can just see the fights developing to decide who gets to make the decision as to where the weather opens up. :rofl:

BTDT :mad: Two years ago coming home from Gaston, even a 596 wouldn't da helped. :hairraise:

I found out this afternoon that if I go flying with my Garmin 496 I can point the unit at the storms and they dissipate in front of me along my route! :princess: :rolleyes: But then those storms left low clouds that I hadn't anticipated and couldn't detect with my new Garmin. :no: :dunno:

Hahahahahahahahaha!! It was merely Tom's idea to get one. :D Besides, it's like the Citabria...whosoever uses it the most gets to claim it's theirs. :D

I thought ALL of us who were stuck at Mountain Home decided we wanted a 496 and this was the year!

I may try WingX although they are sure hazy on how it connects. I think I know. :rolleyes: http://www.hiltonsoftware.com

Last edited:
We had fun on the way back from Osh, too.

After leaving from Rapid City Monday morning, we stopped in Evanston, WY for some food. The nexrad image looked pretty bad - a rather wide area of TS was right across our path about 40 NM west of Salt Lake City. Mostly green with some yellow and a few red spots. The bases were rather high (around 14k), so we decided to give it a try as soon as we saw what looked like the TS becoming less severe. About 20 NM west of Salt Lake City, we encountered a rather distinct dark line right in front of us from 9-3 o'clock. Flight watch said that they mostly saw light-moderate rain now and that the storms had continued to dissipate. We decided to give it a better look and after navigating around some pretty darn dark areas, we got through it about 45 minutes later. There was very little turbulence and just a bit of rain. Once we could see the sun through the clouds, things started looking a lot better. I'll post some pictures - that entire area looked pretty grim.

-Felix

We had fun on the way back from Osh, too.

After leaving from Rapid City Monday morning, we stopped in Evanston, WY for some food. The nexrad image looked pretty bad - a rather wide area of TS was right across our path about 40 NM west of Salt Lake City. Mostly green with some yellow and a few red spots. The bases were rather high (around 14k), so we decided to give it a try as soon as we saw what looked like the TS becoming less severe. About 20 NM west of Salt Lake City, we encountered a rather distinct dark line right in front of us from 9-3 o'clock. Flight watch said that they mostly saw light-moderate rain now and that the storms had continued to dissipate. We decided to give it a better look and after navigating around some pretty darn dark areas, we got through it about 45 minutes later. There was very little turbulence and just a bit of rain. Once we could see the sun through the clouds, things started looking a lot better. I'll post some pictures - that entire area looked pretty grim.

-Felix

Would you have gone for it without Nexrad on board? just curious....

Would you have gone for it without Nexrad on board? just curious....
Yes, in fact, I don't have Nexrad on board :) No doubt it's nice to have, but I'm going to wait until there's some competition in that market.

-Felix

Yes, in fact, I don't have Nexrad on board :) No doubt it's nice to have, but I'm going to wait until there's some competition in that market.

-Felix

Wow....good skills there man. I may have gone once I have more experience, but my wife would not have, thus I would have been grounded! LOL

nice felix. good visibility and plenty of room between the ground and bases make it often fairly easy to negotiate that kind of weather.

I have found that, in warm weather, when we have generally high ceilings, the green and even yellow stuff is usually eminently flyable, usually representing rain falling a long way from a high cloud. In daytime, you can fly and, if you can't see through it (the rain shaft), you don't try to fly through it either.

I have also found that, when controllers say "moderate precip," it's almost always benign; just wet.

With all that, I am willing to launch if there are scattered thunderstorms but high ceilings, in the day time, because visual avoidance is very easy.

Cooler weather months, when ceilings are much lower, are another thing altogether. I also want- and shall get- in-cockpit WX of some sort.

As promised, here are some pictures. Looking at them now, it doesn't look all that bad....

-Felix

Attachments

• PICT2900.jpg
    PICT2900.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 21
  • PICT2903.jpg
    PICT2903.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 26
  • PICT2906.jpg
    PICT2906.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 21
We encountered conditions similar to pic #1 on our way home. It was over the MS delta and the cloud bases were 3500msl. Gave Mary a chance to practice some of that aeronautical decision making you hear so much about.

As promised, here are some pictures. Looking at them now, it doesn't look all that bad....

-Felix

looks like some pretty serious updrafts in picture #2. excitingly terrifying!

Felix- thanks for the pictures. I agree with Tony, #2 does have a more sinister look to it.

Haven't had a chance to try out the 496 in the air yet, as it came back from OSH in the trunk of the car. Doing some flying this weekend though, will make for a good initial run.

On the other hand, i now know my groundspeed in knots when driving to work :) "Officer, I wasn't going that fast, really... we weren't even at rotation speed..."

-Felix

Felix

Lowrance plans on having one at OSH next year. They have it all working, but weren't satisfied with the presentation and decided to hold it back until it was done right. They said it looked like on octopus :dunno: . They told me it will most likely be the size of the 2000 after packaging. I was surprised when I looked at the 2000, I'd thought it was much larger. I'd be very pleased with a unit that size with weather. :yes:

Dave

Last edited:
The Bendix/King 770 looked nice (except for Jeppesen navdata required, why can't someone else supply OEM?). I may hold out until it hits the market in 2008 "competively priced" like the sales rep said.

https://www.bendixking.com/whyBendixking/ksn770.jsp

-Felix

Last edited:
Steve - the 770 looks pretty nice. If it's got airways like the 480, it'd be great...

Leslie - That picture does look a bit dark. Good luck with the 496, I'm sure you guys will enjoy it!

Dave - they told me the same thing. Then again, Lowrance said a year ago that they'd have WX done by this year's OSH. I'd really love to get a $800 WX handheld....

-Felix

Nexrad is not as popular with the high altitude crowd. This is what you see on the cross county OSH friday down my way. Nexrad didn't help much.

Attachments

• 100_0915-small.jpg
    100_0915-small.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 30
Sounds like a perfect fit for the IAR, a different drummer in the cacophony of aviation hypenomania.

I was totally underwhelmed by the 770. Day late and a dollar short.

Last edited:

-Felix

Looks flyable to me... although there's some precip-dropping clouds you don't want to fly under. The "can see the other side" rule is a pretty good way to go when it comes to precip- very heavy rain usually heralds downdrafts.
I would be wary in the conditions shown about the ceiling lowering or terrain rising... but all of the above is very detectable with the Mk I eyeball. :D
On-board wx radar is a terrific tool, but in the end, you just need to be able to interpret what you're seeing.
I guess the niftiest thing about the radar is that it can look ahead farther than the eye, making any necessary course changes more efficient.

Looks flyable to me... although there's some precip-dropping clouds you don't want to fly under. The "can see the other side" rule is a pretty good way to go when it comes to precip- very heavy rain usually heralds downdrafts.
I would be wary in the conditions shown about the ceiling lowering or terrain rising... but all of the above is very detectable with the Mk I eyeball. :D
On-board wx radar is a terrific tool, but in the end, you just need to be able to interpret what you're seeing.
I guess the niftiest thing about the radar is that it can look ahead farther than the eye, making any necessary course changes more efficient.
Yeah, it really wasn't a big deal. The real problem for me with this weather is that I don't get enough practice with it. Here in NorCal, there just isn't much of that stuff; if there is, it's usually in the winter and then it's not flyable.

Honestly, what I'd much rather have is on-board radar. Nexrad is nice, but it doesn't give me nearly as much added capability as radar would.

When I get ready to step up to a twin, radar will be a requirement. And if there are still P-Barons or 340s with enough hull life left around at that time, then I'll want radar + pressurization :D

Maybe I can convince Dave to give me a ride in his P-Baron ;)

-Felix

Dave - they told me the same thing. Then again, Lowrance said a year ago that they'd have WX done by this year's OSH. I'd really love to get a $800 WX handheld....
-Felix

Sorta like the story I got from PowerFlow for years, but then that's another story, or should I say another vendor.
Lowrance told me they actually have it done, it just wasn't presentable as they wanted. Let's hope it's true. I'd love an $800 handheld with WX, but that probably ain't gonna happen, maybe double that, but then that'd still be quite a bargin over Garmin.
I'm thinking it is and will be just Garmin and Lowrance in the handhled GPS game.

Dave

Nexrad is not as popular with the high altitude crowd. This is what you see on the cross county OSH friday down my way. Nexrad didn't help much.

Wait Doc..................how'd you get the hot plate full of ice and the windscreen clear ?????:dunno:

Back