Nexium

You say that Nexium is a non issue, meaning that you can eventually be approved for using it? But when and how do you have to report starting?

This is my situation. I have had heartburn. Several years ago my physician tested for H. pylori. It was negative. I had tried using Rolaids, but it would work for a little while, then I would have to take more sometimes. My physician then had my try Nexium. My gosh, all the symptoms went away! I mean within a few days, and it was like I had not heartburn issues at all anymore, unless I went several days without it, then I would start getting heartburn back. So I just made sure to take one tablet everyday. It worked. Awesome.

Then in 2011, I started working on my Private Pilot certifiicate again, after years since starting the journey. I could finally afford to work on lessons again. As I researched for obtaining a new medical certificate, I saw that taking Nexium was not allowed without special issuance. Once I saw this, I quit taking Nexium for months so it would not be a factor for my medical. After receiving my Class I medical certificate, I was searching the web and a Web-forum AME said that I could take Nexium as long as I didn't have an ulcer. I did not have an ulcer, so I started taking it again. Now, as I research again, I'm not sure if that was the right thing to do. One place on web said just report it at next medical. Other places made it look like I should have reported it right away.

So, now its time to renew my medical and am not sure if I did something wrong? Do I just not taking Nexium completely, but it will show up on my clinic records. I do NOT want to lie or withold the truth, but I also don't want to get in trouble if I was supposed to report taking it for the last year!

What do I need to report? Should I stop taking it until officically approved by FAA for it? What is involved in getting approval? Will a letter from my physician suffice? Again, never had an ulcer.

Sorry for the long post. I just can't seem to find the information anywhere. When I asked my AME if I could just come in for a pre-medical discussion, he just asked why that was needed and just come in for the official physical. Everywhere that I read about the FAA required medicals, the advice is always to get everything squared away prior to the official physical and submissions to the FAA. It seems that it is recommended to talk to your AME about issues and questions BEFORE it was official so that everything could get in order in time for FAA submission.

Help! I working towards a career change to become a pilot and don't want to have any problems or anything negative in my FAA records.

Thanks.
A pilot just looking for some answers.

Just report it as a current med. The AME will yawn. The agnecy will yawn. I kid you not, for this one.

Thanks, I really appreciate your input. This stuff can be a little nerve-racking when it can have an effect on your privileges!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back