Newspaper Article RE: Angel Flight (in Texas)

I thought you were an assistant for Angel Flight West not Angel Flight America.

I can't post newspaper articles now?

I know plenty of pilots who had never heard about Angel Flight, was just trying to spread the word, didn't know we were separate (are we competing)?

To be fair, Adam, the article only mentions Angel Flight of America once, just referring to it as Angel Flight everywhere else. To those who don't know some of the background on the use of the name, "Angel Flight" is "Angel Flight." People don't necessarily know that the various organizations are all independent, or think the distinction particularly important.

And Kimberly, there are a lot more organizations out there doing public benefit flying than just the Angel Flight ones. You can find a large (though not comprehensive) list at the Air Care Alliance website.

To be fair, Adam, the article only mentions Angel Flight of America once, just referring to it as Angel Flight everywhere else. To those who don't know some of the background on the use of the name, "Angel Flight" is "Angel Flight." People don't necessarily know that the various organizations are all independent, or think the distinction particularly important.

And Kimberly, there are a lot more organizations out there doing public benefit flying than just the Angel Flight ones. You can find a large (though not comprehensive) list at the Air Care Alliance website.

We are separate? I thought there was like a parent organization?

Honestly, I posted it thinking once I joined Angel Flight West (costs $50 or more per year if I remember right), then we were a part of some bigger thing. Not that I'm a member over there or could fly over there, just that we were all the same. Adam is with Angel Flight East, I guess I just didn't know that it was such a big deal.

Honestly, I posted it thinking once I joined Angel Flight West (costs $50 or more per year if I remember right), then we were a part of some bigger thing. Not that I'm a member over there or could fly over there, just that we were all the same. Adam is with Angel Flight East, I guess I just didn't know that it was such a big deal.

There's some sort of relationship between the Angel Flight America network and it's member organizations, which include

Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic
Angel Flight South Central
Angel Flight Southeast

As a result of a 2003 lawsuit between Angel Flight America and Angel Flight of Georgia on claims for common law trademark infringement and various related violations of state and federal law, and after considering the arguments of the parties and the amici, the district court issued a permanent injunction prohibiting AFA and its members (including AF Mid-Atlantic and AF South Central) from using the Angel Flight mark in Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, North Carolina, or South Carolina for the purpose of soliciting donations, advertising, promoting their services, or recruiting volunteers.

(Taken from http://www.ca11.uscourts.gov/unpub/ops/200711124.pdf)

I think that Angel Flight America was later renamed Air Charity Network:
middle_left.GIF
Air Charity Network™ (ACN) is comprised of independent member organizations identified by specific geographical service area .
Airlift Hope NC-TN, Angel Flight Central, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic, Angel Flight Northeast, Angel FlightTM Southeast, Angel Flight West and Mercy FlightTM Southeast coordinate volunteer pilot missions in the continental United States as well as Alaska and Hawaii.
Mercy Medical Airlift, coordinates free airline tickets for missions over 600 miles and negotiates low cost air ambulance service for individuals and families, who are in need of this special service.
When requesting a flight, mission coordinators work diligently to successfully find a volunteer pilot or identify another appropriate transportation resource. Although many ACN member organizations have special volunteers who are "on-call" for last minute transplant, blood and special circumstance flights, our mission coordinators still appreciate as much time as possible to find the best transportation option for you.
To locate the Air Charity Network™ organization that serves your area, call 877-621-7177.

Reminds me, again, how distasteful it was to me that there was actually litigation over this issue.

Reminds me, again, how distasteful it was to me that there was actually litigation over this issue.

I didn't know about that. And I agree with you.

Again, I'm sorry, I just wanted pilots on here to read about Angel Flight (whatever part of the country). I like "happy" stories in the news, not sad ones.

Kimberly, I think you did well to post this story. It doesn't matter which particular organization a pilot joins, they are all doing good work. Any kind of publicity is good in my opinion, because it makes pilots aware of these programs and may result in more volunteers. I know I joined up with the local organzation, actually the same one of this news story after it had been discussed on this forum. This is a good thing. Thanks again for posting this story.

Kimberly,
I agree with Gubbins, but wanted to explain a bit of the background. I've flown for both LifeLine Pilots and Angel Flight Central, as well as Young Eagles. They're all examples of Public Benefit Flying. That's what Air Care Alliance is all about.

I can't post newspaper articles now?

I know plenty of pilots who had never heard about Angel Flight, was just trying to spread the word, didn't know we were separate (are we competing)?

As you are so fond of saying, Lighten up "DUDE" I think your being a tad sensitive. Really where did I say you can't post a news paper article? I only asked because I thought you were an assistant for AFW,but your post lead me to believe that perhaps it was another organization rather than AFW. AFW is the largest of the Air Care Alliance public benefit flying organizations and I had heard rumor that there were other groups trying to start up in the West. I was just though eh perhaps Kim is with a group other than AFW. I wasn't challenging you for charlies sake, I think its admirable that you help them out REGARDLESS of which group it is.

As for your other question sadly some public benefit flying organizations are competing, especially when their catchment areas over lap. All Angel Flights are not related and are not part of a Parent Angel Flight group. Most are part of the Air Care Alliance which is a sort of umbrella advocacy group and coordinator of all things good for public benefit flying organizations.

Et Tu Grant? I was just asking a question!! How does that come off as trying to bust stones? I wasn't trying to be "unfair". You are correct that most folks don't know that the " Angel Flights" are independent. The distinction is actually quite important when it comes to Fund Developmental for each organization. Its tough but we always have to remind people that we for example are Angel Flight EAST. Its like the SPCA. There is no SPCA there is the SPCA of Montgomery County or the SPCA of Philadelphia or Chicago etc.

There are a ton, Angel Flight East ( my favorite of course) Angel Flight West, Angel Flight SOARS ( Georgia) Angel Flight Mid Atlantic, Angel Flight North East, Mercy Flight, Pals, Life Line Pilots ( not sure if they operate under that name anymore) and scads of others.

Again its not a big deal, I was just asking a question. Also FWIW Angel Flight West has created a spectacular mission coordination software program that hopefully will soon be made available to all PBFOs

May I ask why AFW charges its assistants $50 to help them out? Do they charge pilots as well? Most pilots and assistants or SICs as we call them here are generous of their time and money so I'm curious as to what the charge is for?

Man that was an Ugly time! Sad because most fund raising for PBFOs is done locally. Not much at all is done on a national level.

Last edited:
Adam, the tone of your original comment was a little ambiguous, and Kimberly's interpretation of it certainly influenced my reading of it. Sorry if I misinterpreted it.

Adam, the tone of your original comment was a little ambiguous, and Kimberly's interpretation of it certainly influenced my reading of it. Sorry if I misinterpreted it.

Apology accepted. It was just a statement thats all really I guess I could have put a question mark at the end but that wouldn't change much. Sorta like me saying " I thought you flew the Sierra not the Bonanza to 6Y9. Just a statement to clarify thats all. You know me better than that.

Now if I said I thought it was Leslie that is the superior Prellwitz pilot. Well then I can understand some ruffled feathers. :wink2:

Heck looking back on it I can't even find a smilie that would have made it better. I'll have to get the MC on that issue:rofl:

Note... This thread shows how grownups handle conflict, and assume the best of each other rather than the worst. Funny how expectations get met, isn't it?

A timely reminder, particularly in comparison to other threads, of why I love you guys and gals.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Not that I read anything negative about your comment, but:

Thanks for posting this Kimberly. Oh hey, I thought you were an assistant for Angel Flight West. Has Angle Flight America made it out to your neck of the woods?

:)

Adam,

Unfortunately they do charge $50 to pilots (I joined as a pilot with the goal of flying missions just as soon as I get enough hours and qualify).

The only reason I am a "mission assistant" right now is because I take my duties seriously. I wanted to fly at least one "mission" with a pilot who has done this duty for a long time, and learn from the experienced pilot before going off on my own.

AFW where I am does not have the time (anymore) to do checkrides so they never fly with you, only in-person meeting with PowerPoint slides as far as I know.

I have also attended the yearly meeting (fly-out) with presenters, etc.

Sorry for mis-understanding your initial post, I just like to share pilot stuff.

Kimberly

Quote from their site:

"A F W membership dues are $50 for the first year and $35 per year thereafter. If your spouse or another family member joins at the same time, that person's membership is free. A F W is a nonprofit, 501 (c) (3) organization, so your dues are tax-deductible."

Several local pilots I know do NOT fly for them because they don't agree with paying $50 (since the pilots are already giving so much).

I have heard other charities in other parts of the USA do not charge the pilots anything. It must be just us?

May I ask why AFW charges its assistants $50 to help them out? Do they charge pilots as well? Most pilots and assistants or SICs as we call them here are generous of their time and money so I'm curious as to what the charge is for?

They do seem to require a $50 first year membership fee of pilots ($35/yr thereafter,) so you do have a reasonable question - so I actually emailed AFW a short while ago asking them for their rationale (not sure if or when they will answer.) However, after sending that email I started reviewing some of the other Angel Flight organizations, and found that a couple others do have at least a one-time fee of $25 to $50 to defray the cost of processing the applications. The pilots do tend to get various physical material on joining, to there is a non-zero cost involved to the organization. And I imagine that the organizations have no idea whether a new volunteer will actually ever fly any missions. On the other hand some of the organizations do seem to be short-handed with respect to pilots versus available missions.

But most Angel Flight organizations don't seem to charge volunteers anything to join. Angel Flight East even seems to have gone a bit the other way, in that it seems to have gotten an FAA exemption or waiver that provides a way for pilots to get donations that can be toward fuel cost reimbursement.

Angel Flight organizations, and found that a couple others do have at least a one-time fee of $25 to $50 to defray the cost of processing the applications.

When you say "processing", do you mean filing something with the state that cost them money, or just the cost of data entry and storing the application in a file cabinet? If it's the latter, you would think they could get volunteers to do that as well.

The pilots do tend to get various physical material on joining, to there is a non-zero cost involved to the organization.

Then stop distributing physical material. Everyone had an email address and a browser.

When you say "processing", do you mean filing something with the state that cost them money, or just the cost of data entry and filing the application? If it's the latter, you would think they could get volunteers to do that as well.

Then stop distributing physical material. Everyone had an email address and a browser.

Why don't you simply ask them what they mean by processing? I actually went to the trouble to bother AFW with one email. If or when I get an answer that I can pass along, I will.

Why don't you simply ask them what they mean by processing? I actually went to the trouble to bother AFW with one email. If or when I get an answer that I can pass along, I will.

Just thought you might know.

Quote from their site:

"A F W membership dues are $50 for the first year and $35 per year thereafter. If your spouse or another family member joins at the same time, that person's membership is free. A F W is a nonprofit, 501 (c) (3) organization, so your dues are tax-deductible."

Several local pilots I know do NOT fly for them because they don't agree with paying $50 (since the pilots are already giving so much).

I have heard other charities in other parts of the USA do not charge the pilots anything. It must be just us?

Good on you for volunteering and double good for paying to do so.

Back