Newest Foreflight Q+A thread (hint)

You *can* use the rest of ForeFlight while data is downloading. At least, I can. :dunno:

Interesting, seems you can! For some reason I had it in my head that this wasn't possible. However, when I tried this today when viewing an Airport page, the page constantly flashed and was refreshed, presumably as each downloaded update is applied and the entire database reloaded. Not sure of the mechanics behind it, but it seems as each individual update installs, everything does a quick reload which is a bit annoying to the end user (even if browsing information outside the scope of what was updated).

However, when I tried this today when viewing an Airport page, the page constantly flashed and was refreshed, presumably as each downloaded update is applied and the entire database reloaded. Not sure of the mechanics behind it, but it seems as each individual update installs, everything does a quick reload which is a bit annoying to the end user (even if browsing information outside the scope of what was updated).

Yep... And I already put in a "bug" report about that, so hopefully it'll be fixed in an upcoming release. :)

For example, I saw the July 28-August 5 data appear today (July 24th).

Thanks Kent...yikes we have to go looking for this weekly?

Request: Auto-Update button!

Thanks Kent...yikes we have to go looking for this weekly?

Request: Auto-Update button!

No, you shouldn't. When there are new charts available for download, a badge (a red number) will appear on the download tab and also on the Foreflight icon when you close the app. That's how you know to go in there and download the new charts.

No, you shouldn't. When there are new charts available for download, a badge (a red number) will appear on the download tab and also on the Foreflight icon when you close the app. That's how you know to go in there and download the new charts.

By 'looking for' I meant opening the ipad up + looking for the FF icon etc. Sounds like we still do.
No big deal, but I predict a hue and cry for auto updates. ie, whenever you access a signal, it will update.

By 'looking for' I meant opening the ipad up + looking for the FF icon etc. Sounds like we still do.
No big deal, but I predict a hue and cry for auto updates. ie, whenever you access a signal, it will update.
Not really possible with what Apple will permit a developer to do. There are also lots of problems with that. The updates are big, and whatever "signal" the device suddenly may have could cost the user a considerable amount of money. Best to leave this up to the user.

If you have any IFR GPS(s) to update - these charts expire on the same date. I set a calendar reminder to update all of my devices that goes off a day before the end of the cycle. With each new cycle I make a new reminder.

There is nothing new about this. We're used to things "expiring" in aviation, knowing when they're going to expire, and knowing if we need to get newer data for a particular flight. It's just a lot easier now because you're not hoping the FBO has the charts....or ordering them and waiting.

I'm sure a lot of developers would love it if Apple let certain WiFi networks trigger actions. On the home wifi network? Disable auto-lock, auto-download updates while sleeping, sync with home iTunes OTA etc.

How can a I-Pad have a GPS in it when it is a cell phone derivative, it needs a cell connection yet the foreflight keeps up dating your position while flying with no cell connections ?

Splane please.

How can a I-Pad have a GPS in it when it is a cell phone derivative, it needs a cell connection yet the foreflight keeps up dating your position while flying with no cell connections ?

Splane please.

Yes, the 3G versions have an internal GPS built into them. (in addition to the cell system internet chips)

Splane please.

All I know is I flew from KCOS to KRBD today at FL210 with the 3G data connection (and wireless internet) disabled and the iPad with FF had me georeferenced on the taxiway from Cutter, on the SID from KCOS, en route direct, and on the Gregg6 arrival into DFW right onto the runway at KRBD then taxiing all the way into Ambassador Jet Center.

I can't splane it. I just like it. :goofy:

Splane please.

It doesn't need a cell connection. It has a GPS chipset which can operate independently (though assisted GPS makes the initial aquisition faster when you DO have a connection.)

Unfortunately there is a lot of misinformation out there about assisted GPS in the iPad/iPhone - people think you must have a cell connection for the GPS features to work. It helps on startup, but the GPS will absolutely work without a signal. And the iPad 2 appears to me to have a better chipset or GPS antenna, it aquires fairly fast without a cell signal compared to my older iPhone, which will still aquire without a cell signal but might take up to two minutes to do so.

For some reason I'm not aware of, they chose to only implement GPS in the models which are also cellular-enabled. My guess is that in this world of instant-on expectations Apple felt that only assisted GPS would do for the average iWhatever user, who would be impatient with the usual wait while the device aquires TTFF like you see with a typical Garmin (for example.)

I'm used to using regular GPS handhelds so the TTFF wait is normal for me :yesnod:

Last edited:
FF had me georeferenced ......snip..... and on the Gregg6 arrival into DFW

SCREECH! -hold it right there, pal.

Did you really see your location depicted on a star?
I thought we could not get on sids and stars....I couldn't get it to show up on the Kalla2 into Austin last week. Enroute, fine. IAP, fine. Star; nada.

SCREECH! -hold it right there, pal.

Did you really see your location depicted on a star?
I thought we could not get on sids and stars....I couldn't get it to show up on the Kalla2 into Austin last week. Enroute, fine. IAP, fine. Star; nada.

:mad: Erps. Sorry. I was using "georeferenced" in the generic sense, as in "showing me where I am in relation to the geography referenced on the chart."

Tower gave us COS3.BRK Dir BRESH, then Dir SPS Transition onto GREGS.GREGS6. So that's how I entered the route . . . .

KCOS BRK BRESH SPS GREGS.GREGS6 KRBD. The result is that the waypoints associated with the departure and arrival showed up on the IFR enroute chart.

Then, when I landed KRBD I switched over to the airport diagram for directions and was pleasantly surprised that the LBP (little blue plane) could be seen on the diagram.

So I stand (actually sit) corrected. "Georeferencing" as it applies to the SID and STAR plates did not occur. Effectively, though, the waypoints appeared on the IFR enroute chart.

My main point is that the iPad's cellular data functionality was disabled and I was still able to get a great GPS signal all the way.

iPad 1 or iPad 2?

I can get an iPad 1 for about $200 less than an equivalent iPad 2. Primary use will be for the airplane & Foreflight, limited use for other stuff at this point (email, light web browsing, a few apps). This will replace my existing tablet. If FF is running, I really won't be doing anything else.

Is there any reason that I should spend the $200 extra for v2 at this point?

I had that choice and went for the minimum spec, wifi-only, refurb iPad 1. Happy.

My main point is that the iPad's cellular data functionality was disabled and I was still able to get a great GPS signal all the way.

So no LBP on the sids/stars, then?
Had me excited for a moment - thanks for clarifying!

:)

ipad 2 has a faster CPU. I have an wifi only iPad 2 that I'd make somebody a hell of a deal on.

So no LBP on the sids/stars, then?
Had me excited for a moment - thanks for clarifying!

:)

Nope. Sorry to pull the rug out from under you like that. And I wonder why it's so difficult to do when the Approach plates and the Airport Diagrams work?

Nope. Sorry to pull the rug out from under you like that. And I wonder why it's so difficult to do when the Approach plates and the Airport Diagrams work?

I don't think SIDs and STARs are to any reliable scale. How do you georef something that isn't to scale?

I don't think SIDs and STARs are to any reliable scale. How do you georef something that isn't to scale?

you're right, the airplane size will have to change as it moves from place to place.

:D

I have the II with Wifi only and am ticked pink, but I pretty much use if for charts only and I have three GPS units in the cockpit. Just didn't think I needed another <g>.

Best,

Dave

System Requirements: Apple iPad, Firmware version 4.0 or later (any iPad) - iPad 2 3G recommended

Gotta wonder why, is it something for the future ie 'sunsetting' older ipads?

But it also says:

Finally, decide between the iPad 2 or the original iPad. The iPad 2 is faster, lighter, and thinner than the original iPad. It also has more RAM, which lets you switch between apps faster. If you're buying an iPad for the first time, we recommend the iPad 2 - you'll appreciate the faster performance in apps like ForeFlight Mobile.

If you already own the original iPad, we don't think it's necessary to upgrade. The screen resolution on the iPad 2 is the same as the original iPad, so apps look the same. However, if you’re frequently switching between apps or want to get the best performance possible, then you’ll appreciate the new iPad 2. And remember – the original iPad makes the perfect gift for a loved one!

Frankly, my old ruggedized tablet (1 GHz Windoze w/512K memory) works OK for in-cockpit use. It's heavy & won't run Foreflight.

My thought process is to buy the cheaper version & upgrade to a future generation when the time comes. The same process I followed with digital SLR (which is why I have a Canon 7D right now).

As long as the older version is sufficient to run the app, INCLUDING the WxWorx data, perhaps I'd go for the 32 GB refurb machine now & upgrade later.

Jason, for the right price I'd consider it though I'd prefer the internal GPS. PM me with details.

System Requirements: Apple iPad, Firmware version 4.0 or later (any iPad) - iPad 2 3G recommended

Gotta wonder why, is it something for the future ie 'sunsetting' older ipads?

Speed. The iPad 1 with iOS 4.x and later is noticeably slower. The processors on the iPad 2's are much faster.

I didn't feel like there was enough reason to update my iPad 1 to an iPad 2 at the time, but you can be sure I'll be getting my fingers on an iPad 3 ASAP when they come out.

Also, technology's march is continuous - ForeFlight 4.0 and later require iOS 4.0 and later. As Apple builds more "stuff" into the API, and ForeFlight makes new features, they're eventually going to have to require a later iOS to run ForeFlight.

I'm pretty much planning on a 2-year update cycle, opposite the update cycle on my iPhone. As in, this year I'll buy a new iPhone, next year a new iPad, 2013 another new iPhone, 2014 another new iPad, etc. You can get good money for the used ones on eBay.

SIDs and STARs are not to scale, thus they can't be georeferenced - By anyone.

My thought process is to buy the cheaper version & upgrade to a future generation when the time comes. The same process I followed with digital SLR (which is why I have a Canon 7D right now).

As long as the older version is sufficient to run the app, INCLUDING the WxWorx data, perhaps I'd go for the 32 GB refurb machine now & upgrade later.

Yes, the iPad 1 is sufficient to run ForeFlight currently. It'll be noticeably poky, though. If you're planning on upgrading to an iPad 3 or whatever they call them when they come out (this fall or next spring depending on who's doing the speculating), then the iPad 1 can at least get you going. If you're not going to buy the iPad 3 when it comes out and want something that'll last you a while, get the iPad 2 now.

Ah yes, but each sid/star comes with a textual description. So they will soon have an appropriate textual description of your situation on the sid/star.

"You are way off course, to the west."
"There is no way you are going to make the xing restriction now, bud."
"If you don't pay attention, center is going to call you!"

Speed. The iPad 1 with iOS 4.x and later is noticeably slower. The processors on the iPad 2's are much faster.

I didn't feel like there was enough reason to update my iPad 1 to an iPad 2 at the time, but you can be sure I'll be getting my fingers on an iPad 3 ASAP when they come out.

Also, technology's march is continuous - ForeFlight 4.0 and later require iOS 4.0 and later. As Apple builds more "stuff" into the API, and ForeFlight makes new features, they're eventually going to have to require a later iOS to run ForeFlight.

I'm pretty much planning on a 2-year update cycle, opposite the update cycle on my iPhone. As in, this year I'll buy a new iPhone, next year a new iPad, 2013 another new iPhone, 2014 another new iPad, etc. You can get good money for the used ones on eBay.

Yes, the iPad 1 is sufficient to run ForeFlight currently. It'll be noticeably poky, though. If you're planning on upgrading to an iPad 3 or whatever they call them when they come out (this fall or next spring depending on who's doing the speculating), then the iPad 1 can at least get you going. If you're not going to buy the iPad 3 when it comes out and want something that'll last you a while, get the iPad 2 now.

In other words, any possible justification based on "saving money on charts", as some folks propose, is a total non-starter. Upgrading every 2 years means a $400-$500 expenditure every 2 years (assuming you can sell the old device to someone), plus the subscription to Foreflight, means you'll be spending every penny, if not more, depending on where you travel. For a small GA plane, I'd bet that there are no cost savings to be had.

Add in the fact that the iPad printing system is not really compatible with my (purchased 2 months ago) networked color laser printer, etc, etc. and you're pretty much having to go totally Apple or commit to operating multiple systems. And I can't use OpenVPN or some flavors of IPSec, requiring purchase of additional networking equipment to ensure security.

What should be a simple device purchase ends up costing several thousand dollars.

Too bad Apple doesn't believe in making their stuff compatible with existing standards & now locks-down against jailbreaking.

Last edited:
Ah yes, but each sid/star comes with a textual description. So they will soon have an appropriate textual description of your situation on the sid/star.

:rofl:

In other words, any possible justification based on "saving money on charts", as some folks propose, is a total non-starter. Upgrading every 2 years means a $400-$500 expenditure every 2 years (assuming you can sell the old device to someone), plus the subscription to Foreflight, means you'll be spending every penny, if not more, depending on where you travel. For a small GA plane, I'd bet that there are no cost savings to be had.

Depends how much and how far you fly - It won't save money for the folks who just fly 25nm away for breakfast once a month, but for those of us who use the airplane for travel, it's more plausible.

By the time I replace the iPad, it will NOT have paid for itself only in savings on paper charts - But it does WAY more than just that, and with some of the other things it's saved me money on, it will more than pay for itself.

:rofl:

Depends how much and how far you fly - It won't save money for the folks who just fly 25nm away for breakfast once a month, but for those of us who use the airplane for travel, it's more plausible.

By the time I replace the iPad, it will NOT have paid for itself only in savings on paper charts - But it does WAY more than just that, and with some of the other things it's saved me money on, it will more than pay for itself.

Even for larger areas it wont pay for itself in chart savings. Yes, you'll get more features.

Can you print to .pdf file that can be emailed? If not, I still need another flight planning program, or yet another printer. It won't print directly to my printer.

If I want GPS, I have to get a 3G version for $200 more, or get an externsl GPS.

Yeah, its a great program & offers many features. But I am not comnvnced that it's that much better than another EFB on a more flexible platform, either in terms of cost, ability to generate minimal backup paper, or eliminating 'stuff' in the cockpit.

via Tapatalk

Works pretty well for me Bill. I fly to Wisconsin, Florida and Greenville, SC one each month and take a couple other trips each year. I wind up purchasing some VFR charts, low and high altitude, facilities directory and approach charts for each trip. If plans changed or I had to divert, I might not have those charts with me. I can download extra charts in case and update at any Wifi if plans change. Really helps me. Trip charts were sometimes $75 or more per trip for me and I might not have charts needed if I had to divert.

Best,

Dave

Chart savings?!

Let's talk about lugging around 25lbs of charts!
And the trouble of making sure they are available at the same time the trip occurs! And locating them enroute! Or fiddling with a large paper chart in the cockpit every 15 minutes. Or trying to find the right iap book, the right iap, then accidentally tearing it.

That right there is worth hundreds of dollars.

Maybe they could make it an auditory textual description in the voice of your favorite backseat flyer . . .

"Honey, I think you're a little bit left of course."

"Dear, you should really bear right just a little more."

"You idiot! If you don't get this thing back on course, I'm bringing my mother next time!

:yikes:

when viewing Ipads for sale I see the word " UNLOCKED" what's that mean?

Even for larger areas it wont pay for itself in chart savings. Yes, you'll get more features.

Can you print to .pdf file that can be emailed? If not, I still need another flight planning program, or yet another printer. It won't print directly to my printer.

You can print to a screencap and email that very easily, or print that. I have Printopia installed on all of my Macs at home, which enables me to print from my iPad seamlessly to any printer connected to any Mac (or save as a PDF on the Mac).

If I want GPS, I have to get a 3G version for $200 more, or get an externsl GPS.

$130 more, not $200 more. Seems like you've made up your mind about this before even evaluating all of the information, though. Why not borrow one from a friend and see how you like it?

Sure the savings won't add up directly from paper charts, but how do you put a price on having WX info at your fingertips, TFRs, flight planning, winds, NOTAMs, always current AF/D and more? Plus the iPad is so much more beyond just ForeFlight, so once again it's unfair to compare direct chart costs to the hardware+software costs. Calculating W&B, having a digital version of the POH, performance planning...all simple on the iPad, and faster than doing the "old fashioned" way.

Seems you've just got a bit of an anti-Apple attitude.

Even for larger areas it wont pay for itself in chart savings.

Bill, I've spent $225 in paper charts on a single trip. $729 for an iPad (32G + 3G) and $150 for two years' worth of ForeFlight subscription, you still only need to take four such trips before it pays for itself completely.

The more serious flyers, then, can easily have it pay for itself just in chart savings - And that doesn't even start getting into all the additional features, the not having to lug two grocery bags' worth of paper charts in the airplane ($225 in charts is NOT a small pile of paper), and the other advantages that the Daves talked about as well.

I haven't been flying enough for the iPad to pay for itself solely in chart savings, but between aero charts and electronic textbooks, it will pay for itself - And it's done MUCH more than that for me. WELL worth the purchase.

As mentioned, Printopia will solve that problem if you have a Mac. If you have Windows, try this.

$130 more (and you get 3G too), or you can get the externals for about $99.

Yeah, its a great program & offers many features. But I am not comnvnced that it's that much better than another EFB on a more flexible platform, either in terms of cost, ability to generate minimal backup paper, or eliminating 'stuff' in the cockpit.

Much like democracy, it's the worst thing out there, except for everything else. ;) No, ForeFlight doesn't have the most features of any gadget. No, Apple's inflexibility makes certain things hard for developers like ForeFlight to do. But at the end of the day, the iPad + ForeFlight combo is an excellent value: It does much more than paper charts at a VERY reasonable price (especially for something aviation-related!), and the iPad is incredibly useful for other things.

And yes, someone really tried to tell me yesterday that I should have bought their $3800 gadget instead of the iPad. :dunno:

when viewing Ipads for sale I see the word " UNLOCKED" what's that mean?

That means they've hacked it so that it's no longer tied to Verizon (CDMA version) or AT&T (GSM version) for data service. That's great if you're in a foreign country where iPads may be very expensive or nonexistant as it'd get you service in those places. It's a TERRIBLE idea if you're in the US - They need to be jailbroken first and then unlocked, and sooner or later (generally sooner) a software upgrade will come along and "brick" it (turn it into a very expensive paperweight).

I would suggest you avoid the "UNLOCKED" iPads... Best place to buy safely is your local Apple store.

$130 more, not $200 more. Seems like you've made up your mind about this before even evaluating all of the information, though. Why not borrow one from a friend and see how you like it?

What part of "it's a great program" didn't come across to you?

Sure the savings won't add up directly from paper charts, but how do you put a price on having WX info at your fingertips, TFRs, flight planning, winds, NOTAMs, always current AF/D and more?

Got all that already. Yeah, it's on various programs/platforms, but I do have it. My goal is a better solution.

Plus the iPad is so much more beyond just ForeFlight, so once again it's unfair to compare direct chart costs to the hardware+software costs. Calculating W&B, having a digital version of the POH, performance planning...all simple on the iPad, and faster than doing the "old fashioned" way.

What part of "it's a great program" didn't you understand? And what part of "I really wouldn't use much of the other iPad features" wasn't clear? I've got an Android phone and barely scratch the surface of what it can do....

Or the matter of my having a tablet already with most all of that stuff on it?

Seems you've just got a bit of an anti-Apple attitude.

What I have is an attitude against companies - and if Apple happens to be one, then so be it - that construct software and systems that get in the way of doing things the way *I* want to work. The great promise of a computer is flexibility to adjust to the way it works best for an individual.... what Apple has chosen to do is lock down the systems to the point where that flexibility is lost. The result is additional cost (forked over to a big, rich, corporation) or inability to do certain things (in the case of Apple, this includes content restrictions in the App Store). It's like SAP in a corporate environment: "to use this program you have to change your processes to do it our way" as opposed to software that will adapt to the way you need to work.

So, to get a GPS on the Apple, I have to pay more and get a feature I will not likely use (3G)... or buy an external box (adding to the bulk and decreasing convenience). To use my existing WxWork receiver, I'm on the hook for $200 where a simple USB cable or BT will work on a MS platform. I travel internationally - 3G would be great if the device were sold unlocked so I could insert a local SIM (rather than pay the outrageous ATT international roaming rates, which can reach to $20/MB!?!). So I have to have a mifi.

And I'm not suggesting that the BSOD (Microsoft) or Android is any better. Android is more flexible than iPad but lacks Foreflight (and some of the other alternatives), and Microsoft is, well, Microsoft - it lacks the platform at this point.

The ideal package for me: an iPad (or equivalent) to run Foreflight or a similar package, that has a usable BT/USB connection for the WxWorx or SkyRadar receiver, GPS with the wifi unit (unlocked 3G that will accept non-ATT SIMS would certainly be something I'd consider), native ability to print directly to networked Postscript printer (IOW, no need to buy an app, no need to buy another printer, or no need to use another computer just to print), and ability to run OpenVPN without a jailbreak. That I would buy in a heartbeat. Or Foreflight that would run on an Android platform. Practically, neither of those are going to happen. It goes to convenience and overall cost.

None of that says I won't go the iPad route. What it does say is that I end up paying extra money & less convenience to get stuff I want, and end up with stuff I don't need/can't use effectively.

I realize this has started a religious war with you, Kent, and others. I also realize that you guys won't really understand my points. So be it.

Bill, I've spent $225 in paper charts on a single trip. $729 for an iPad (32G + 3G) and $150 for two years' worth of ForeFlight subscription, you still only need to take four such trips before it pays for itself completely.

I take a lot of trips, including some rather long ones. I've never paid $225 for paper charts for a single trip. Then again, I don't buy Jepp.... :rolleyes:

I'll add that when Sporty's first came out with their DVD that contained all the approach charts, I thought that might have been a way to reduce cost of plates. The convenience factor made it, well, essentially useless for saving any money at all. It was good to have on the tablet computer in the plane in case I ended up out of chart coverage, and it was good for printing one-offs when I'd manage to rip the plate in the book, but def. not convenient.

I haven't been flying enough for the iPad to pay for itself solely in chart savings, but between aero charts and electronic textbooks, it will pay for itself - And it's done MUCH more than that for me. WELL worth the purchase.

And that's the only point I was making. You're looking at a 2 year replacement cycle on the device. I wasn't reaching to features, I was just talking chart cost savings. Seems we agree.

I may find it more useful than I expect. Or not. It may replace my existing flight planning program. Or not (depending on print solutions). The key element here is the tie-in to my portable WxWorx receiver, resulting in a much lighter & more integrated solution than the large, ruggedized tablet. The other key is an ability to work at 20,000 feet - I expect the SSD will do that without crashing.....

Charts: I'll still need/want some paper charts. I'm in the DC SFRA. Very high traffic/low altitude corridor in and out,, and a bunch of restricted airspace. For local flying, I'm not going to carry an iPad, just the local paper chart & approach plate(s).

As mentioned, Printopia will solve that problem if you have a Mac. If you have Windows, try this.

Those still require printing through another computer. What I want to do is sit in my kitchen before leaving for the airport and printing on my network printer a "trip pack" that includes flight plan log, filed IFR plan, select approach plates, and a couple of other miscellaneous items. Essentially enough that if the iPad overheats or craps out in flight that I've got enough data to execute an approach and land.

$130 more (and you get 3G too), or you can get the externals for about $99.

I stand corrected on the price. Apparently I was unable to distinguish between a 32G and 63G model. My bad.

Much like democracy, it's the worst thing out there, except for everything else. ;) No, ForeFlight doesn't have the most features of any gadget. No, Apple's inflexibility makes certain things hard for developers like ForeFlight to do. But at the end of the day, the iPad + ForeFlight combo is an excellent value: It does much more than paper charts at a VERY reasonable price (especially for something aviation-related!), and the iPad is incredibly useful for other things.

Thus making my point..... It is a good package, but I am not convinced that it's the best value for what I need/want.

I still will need to carry my Netbook due to VPN limitations in the iPad and the imbedded base of paid-for software products that I really don't care to re-purchase on a new platform.

And yes, someone really tried to tell me yesterday that I should have bought their $3800 gadget instead of the iPad. :dunno:
I'd also call that nuts, too.

I'll probably end up with an iPad, but as noted in the other post responding to Mike, the hardware portion of the solution is suboptimal.

Last edited:
To be more specific, what I expect might be illegal is the fact that the phone is basically making a cell phone call while in the air to download the latest weather or any information that is being queried for download.

Which is not illegal with modern cell phones. You'll have to talk to the radio guys for the exact FCC regulation and what it applies to.

Definitely still *illegal*, per FCC.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/wireless-devices-airplanes

Back