Newbie in MD!

motospeed9058

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
rhall9058
Hi all.

I've been considering getting my PPL for about a year or so now, then about a month ago, I just decided, "ya know what, I'm bored with my current hobbies, and it's go time." So I told the wife of this "closet desire" and she, to my suprise, said OK. :hairraise:. So I'm currently trying to auction off all the goods from my past hobbies to try and start the financing for this. I'll be joining the Frederick Flight School in MD flying out of FDK, and taking part in the Cessna Online Ground School as it never expires. Haven't taken the discovery flight yet as I want to get the ground school portion paid for before I pay for the discovery flight.

P.S. If anybody is looking for a sturdy Sport-touring motorcycle, I've got one for sale. :) (that's gonna be my starting basis for this new adventure.)

A coworker of mine rents from FDK and has nothing but good things to say about the operation.

Welcome to POA!

Welcome to POA! Since your in western Maryland your not to far from WV and the site of POA's Windwood Flyin. You may want to drive down or fly with a friend to WV62 and join us for a day in the Caanan Valley and get a taste of what POA is all about. See the Windwood 2011 thread for details.

Welcome to POA! Since your in western Maryland your not to far from WV and the site of POA's Windwood Flyin. You may want to drive down or fly with a friend to WV62 and join us for a day in the Caanan Valley and get a taste of what POA is all about. See the Windwood 2011 thread for details.

I've flown through Caanan Valley on several occassions........just on two wheels. :goofy:

I'll definately look into it. Thanks for the heads up.

Huh, I was not aware of WV62. Don't know if I'll have my ticket by then, but it's a short drive.

Welcome!

I learned to fly at FDK. I hope you have a great experience there. Fall is prime flying weather here in the mid-atlantic.

Hi all.

I've been considering getting my PPL for about a year or so now, then about a month ago, I just decided, "ya know what, I'm bored with my current hobbies, and it's go time." So I told the wife of this "closet desire" and she, to my suprise, said OK. :hairraise:. So I'm currently trying to auction off all the goods from my past hobbies to try and start the financing for this. I'll be joining the Frederick Flight School in MD flying out of FDK, and taking part in the Cessna Online Ground School as it never expires. Haven't taken the discovery flight yet as I want to get the ground school portion paid for before I pay for the discovery flight.

P.S. If anybody is looking for a sturdy Sport-touring motorcycle, I've got one for sale. :) (that's gonna be my starting basis for this new adventure.)

Hey there, That can be an error when taken too far. The fundamental learning you need to have before your initial lesson will be covered in about 15 minutes by your instructor before the flight. It's good to go in with some theoretical knowledge, but you really don't start learning it till you start flying it. Flying is best learned in an integrated fashion of theory and applied lab. I don't discourage you from studying while you're rounding up the money, but once you have it, start flying.

It's good to go in with some theoretical knowledge, but you really don't start learning it till you start flying it. Flying is best learned in an integrated fashion of theory and applied lab.

Couldn't agree with you more!!

I don't discourage you from studying while you're rounding up the money, but once you have it, start flying.

That's exactly what I plan to do. I just wanted to come up with the $350 for the ground school first and get that going, then I can come up with the flight money as the paychecks roll in.

Thanks for the advice, you have confirmed exactly what I was hoping and that I'm not dillusional in my thoughts as of yet. :yes:

Couldn't agree with you more!!

That's exactly what I plan to do. I just wanted to come up with the $350 for the ground school first and get that going, then I can come up with the flight money as the paychecks roll in.

Thanks for the advice, you have confirmed exactly what I was hoping and that I'm not dillusional in my thoughts as of yet. :yes:

You do not need a $350 ground school. Not saying "don't do it" just that you don't need it. You can do most all of that studying on your own and pay your instructor for a few extra hours of ground if that. A lot of your questions will be answered during the pre/post flight briefings. Take that $350 and go buy 3 lessons in the plane. If money is tight, I recommend doing more 20 minute and half hour flights, especially after you solo, and fly more frequently. 3 laps around the pattern on 3 of 7 days is often better than 9 laps on one. You can't always do it like that, but often you can.

That would actually be a good test for a flight school. Walk in with $350 and say, "I want this turned into 3 lessons." and see how well they do with both quantity of what they deliver and quality. You can also use those three lessons to evaluate the people on a few more occasions than one before you really commit. The minimum I would expect to experience for $350 would be a demonstration of and first coached try at all the requireds in the PTS. You should have at least two and typically three or more take offs (they should be yours from the first) and you should be doing coached/assisted landings variable to how you demonstrate control. You should also get the abinitio first hour or two "Fundamentals of Flight" and introduction to GA and the FAA/FAR ground session that spelled out the whole process and everything required of you.

Last edited:
You do not need a $350 ground school. Not saying "don't do it" just that you don't need it. You can do most all of that studying on your own and pay your instructor for a few extra hours of ground if that. A lot of your questions will be answered during the pre/post flight briefings. Take that $350 and go buy 3 lessons in the plane. If money is tight, I recommend doing more 20 minute and half hour flights, especially after you solo, and fly more frequently. 3 laps around the pattern on 3 of 7 days is often better than 9 laps on one. You can't always do it like that, but often you can.

hhhmmmm, that's a thought too. I was doing the "ground school" as the Cessna online self study to get me through while I couldn't fly, but you bring up a good point as well.

hhhmmmm, that's a thought too. I was doing the "ground school" as the Cessna online self study to get me through while I couldn't fly, but you bring up a good point as well.

There's much more good reading out there as well. It would behoove you to get some form of eReader at this point.

Get the FAA Airplane Flying Handbook or whatever it's called. It's pretty good and mostly clear, and most of your test comes from it.... If you know that book and the other select FAA references, you will have no problem passing your written. Lot's of reading ahead....

Last edited:
You can skip the ground school. Only if you're motivated and willing to read on your own. My total cost was about $10. I used my dad's private pilot textbook from 1978. I read the AIM (available for free from the FAA) and just picked up knowledge from lessons. I also inherited a few other flying books which I read, plus there is a ton of free info in AOPA's flight training stuff online. I got an exam study book and took the written about a week before my checkride.

Guess you could say I put the written off, but it did not matter in the end.

I'm currently doing the same with my Instrument rating. Let ya know how it works out

I agree that books are better and cheaper than ground school, especially if you buy used. Plus, they will serve as a reference for later. AFH, Machado/Jeppesen, FAR/AIM, Stick and Rudder...

In hindsight, I wish I'd joined AOPA earlier; the online flight planning and weather tools can be helpful resources during the XC phase of training.

I'm also guilty of putting the written off, but I have found the asa prepware app to be very useful; it makes it easy to bang out test questions in your spare time, and figure out which areas you need to focus on.

Rod Machado's Private Flying Handbook.

Get it (about $30, IIRC), read it, love it, never look back at ground school again.

I looked at taking a formal ground school course from the FBO and decided against it. The Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (PHAK) is free from the FAA, PDF format, and contains an enormous amount of information.

I bought the Sporty's "Solo/Recreational Pilot" DVD course, which includes access to their online study & sample test system. That lets you take simulated FAA knowledge tests to see how well you do; once you've passed it a couple of times they will give you a CFI sign-off so you can take the test. You can get the online study and CFI sign-off from Gleim or Gold Seal (and probably others), or just study on your own. You can use Sporty's Study Buddy system for free and get your regular CFI to sign off for you later. I decided the $115 Sporty's course, plus the PHAK for learning, was a good compromise for me.

I'm not quite sold on the DVDs yet, to be honest. They cover some basic theory that I already knew quite well, and a lot more seems to be video instruction on stuff that I'll be doing anyway, with a CFI, in the plane. It may get better, I've only watched the first two. Still, I'm not too upset about it. No matter which way you slice it, I'd have either paid for one of the places to give me a sign-off, paid the FBO or spent the time with an instructor (who charges by the hour) to convince him I could pass the written. And it's not like the DVDs have no value, I just thought they would cover a lot of the ground school type stuff (weather, navigation, regs, airspace, etc) more thoroughly than they do.

Anyway... Like you, I'm delaying flying until I have some other goals met - some personal, some to preserve family peace & harmony. :) I figure I should be flying by winter.

Last edited:
Welcome Neighbor!

PM me about the bike

That would actually be a good test for a flight school. Walk in with $350 and say, "I want this turned into 3 lessons." and see how well they do with both quantity of what they deliver and quality. You can also use those three lessons to evaluate the people on a few more occasions than one before you really commit. The minimum I would expect to experience for $350 would be a demonstration of and first coached try at all the requireds in the PTS. You should have at least two and typically three or more take offs (they should be yours from the first) and you should be doing coached/assisted landings variable to how you demonstrate control. You should also get the abinitio first hour or two "Fundamentals of Flight" and introduction to GA and the FAA/FAR ground session that spelled out the whole process and everything required of you.

Henning, that certainly is an agressive strategy and may not work with everyone's personality, and I doubt it will go over well in this area either. I'd recommend the OP proceed with caution on this advice. Otherwise, I think Henning's advice is usually spot-on.

I would recommend going in with the attitude that says, "I'm a new STUDENT and I'm here to learn".

How do you study best? Formal ground school is best if you have trouble finding the time & focusing. Independent study is good if you have discipline.

I did the independent thing with input from my CFI. I know folks that would never have finished if not for a formal class.

via Tapatalk

Welcome Neighbor!

PM me about the bike

Henning, that certainly is an agressive strategy and may not work with everyone's personality, and I doubt it will go over well in this area either. I'd recommend the OP proceed with caution on this advice. Otherwise, I think Henning's advice is usually spot-on.

I would recommend going in with the attitude that says, "I'm a new STUDENT and I'm here to learn".

That's like going in with a sign on your back that says "Fleece me". Let them know right away that you are not an idiot consumer and expect something.

How do you study best? Formal ground school is best if you have trouble finding the time & focusing. Independent study is good if you have discipline.

I did the independent thing with input from my CFI. I know folks that would never have finished if not for a formal class.

via Tapatalk

Thing about "Formal Ground School" is that is when junior instructors teach all the "Old Wives Tales" and other tidbits that the book "leaves out". If you do one make sure it's with someone good.

Thing about "Formal Ground School" is that is when junior instructors teach all the "Old Wives Tales" and other tidbits that the book "leaves out". If you do one make sure it's with someone good.

There is always the chance of that. Is should go without saying that one should exercise due diligence in choosing an instructor - both for ground school and for in-aircraft instruction.

On the other hand, some books have mistakes, too (and some are pretty dense). If it's a choice of never finishing or going to ground school, I'd rather see someone take the class & git'r done.

I've flown through Caanan Valley on several occassions........just on two wheels. :goofy:

I'll definately look into it. Thanks for the heads up.

Huh, I was not aware of WV62. Don't know if I'll have my ticket by then, but it's a short drive.

Guys feel free to drive in for the day or longer if you like. Were a pretty inclusive group. There may also be one or two folks driving and flying in from the DC area so if you hop over to the Windwood thread you can post for a lift or room share.

via Tapatalk

Luckily, I'm an online independant type of guy. I'm one of those that did my entire college education online and am considering my MBA online as well. So doing the home study online or via DVD is of new issue. I do ask a lot of "why" question though which is why simply reading the manual won't work for me. I need examples of why things happen the way they do and the multi-media I have seen so far provides that.

Luckily, I'm an online independant type of guy. I'm one of those that did my entire college education online and am considering my MBA online as well. So doing the home study online or via DVD is of new issue. I do ask a lot of "why" question though which is why simply reading the manual won't work for me. I need examples of why things happen the way they do and the multi-media I have seen so far provides that.
No shortage of online and multimedia products, but I seriously recommend you know the AFH. THAT is the FAA's training guide, their weather book is worth reading as well. The FAA website has resources there as well, your tax dollars already paid for them, may as well use them. If you have an internet savvy CFI you may want to ask him for a link list.

WOO HOO!!! Motorcycle has been sold. Now to apease the wife with a small credit card payment and then it's time to FLY!!!!

Cool deal, have fun. Spend your flying wad quickly and fly at least 3 times a week and study hard and you can get the rating done for the least money. The two biggest factors in cost will be frequency of flying and the amount of effort you put into learning when not flying.

Cool deal, have fun. Spend your flying wad quickly and fly at least 3 times a week and study hard and you can get the rating done for the least money. The two biggest factors in cost will be frequency of flying and the amount of effort you put into learning when not flying.

Luckily I've already been working hard on learning what I can for the knowledge portion. Prolly calling tomorrow to setup the "discovery flight" and to find a CFI that I like. STOKED!!!!!

Posted via Tapatalk

Luckily I've already been working hard on learning what I can for the knowledge portion. Prolly calling tomorrow to setup the "discovery flight" and to find a CFI that I like. STOKED!!!!!

Posted via Tapatalk

If you have a school with a variety of instructors to choose from, do a 20 minute lesson with all of them before you decide. You might find one you really click with, but more importantly you increase your chances that someone will impart unto you a "magic clue". There are several "magic clue" moments in aviation where you are struglling and frustrated and someone will say something or something will happen and it's like a revaltion and suddenly you "have it". Best I can recall getting my PP I flew with 7 CFIs in 6 different type aircraft including Complex and High Performance (172RG and 182) and still managed to complete my cert in 40 hrs + a check ride. If you find an an instructor and plane you are comfortable with, do the most of your training there, often in the low price alternative, but don't be afraid to rent a complex or high performance plane for your dual cross countries. That's how I got my endorsements before my PP, I could even rent the 182 solo as a Student and used it to move a bunch of my stuff to Catalina LOL.

This is fun, treat it as fun. It's serious, but that doesn't mean it can't be fun.

If you have a school with a variety of instructors to choose from, do a 20 minute lesson with all of them before you decide. You might find one you really click with, but more importantly you increase your chances that someone will impart unto you a "magic clue". There are several "magic clue" moments in aviation where you are struglling and frustrated and someone will say something or something will happen and it's like a revaltion and suddenly you "have it". Best I can recall getting my PP I flew with 7 CFIs in 6 different type aircraft including Complex and High Performance (172RG and 182) and still managed to complete my cert in 40 hrs + a check ride. If you find an an instructor and plane you are comfortable with, do the most of your training there, often in the low price alternative, but don't be afraid to rent a complex or high performance plane for your dual cross countries. That's how I got my endorsements before my PP, I could even rent the 182 solo as a Student and used it to move a bunch of my stuff to Catalina LOL.

This is fun, treat it as fun. It's serious, but that doesn't mean it can't be fun.

Great ideas. Thanks for offering!

Posted via Tapatalk

Great ideas. Thanks for offering!

Posted via Tapatalk

You raced bikes so here is one great corollary you can take with you. Just like all bikes handle the same, all planes handle the same. There may be differences in limits and tollerance of what you can do, but doing things with the controls will always yield the same responses. Also remember what you learned about what a bike can really do when you went to the track vs what you thought it could do before? It's the same with these airplanes. Do not be afraid to crank, push and haul on the controls. You are going to sustain G forces in turns that will initially frighten you because any association you have with Gs like normal in a plane would be involved in losing control of a bike or car. Don't let it scare you. Ask to feel a 60* steep turn. That will be 2 gs. That will be around half od what the plane is rated for. That is a completely safe pull as long as the stall warning does not come on. There is no need to fear pulling those Gs, they are perfectly safe structurally. They only really bite you at low speeds.

Ask to feel a 60* steep turn. That will be 2 gs. That will be around half od what the plane is rated for. That is a completely safe pull as long as the stall warning does not come on. There is no need to fear pulling those Gs, they are perfectly safe structurally. They only really bite you at low speeds.

Absolutely doing that. My hope for this discovery flight is to do exactly what it says........DISCOVER. :goofy:

Back