Newbie from Penn State

CityKnight

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
CityKnight
Hello,

Im not sure if this is the right forum to post in, so if it isn't, Im sorry.
I was a student at Penn State (main campus) last year, studying Aerospace Engineering, and there I discovered the PSU Soaring Club. That's where it all started for me, and I fell in love with Soaring. Im a professional martial artist really; I'm a Black Belt, I've been a Taekwondo National Champion (fought at U.S. Team-Trials in 2008), a 2x Collegiate Champion, and currently am an MMA Fighter (movin' up in the world, haha). I also had a very good coach however, who believed in me; 2x U.S. Olympic Team member: Bobby Leach. However, the truth is, Im about satisfied with my accomplishments in the martial arts; MMA is more about the hype ('cus in reality, nobody really cares about Taekwondo nowadays), but when I discovered gliders at PSU, I fell in love ... It's officially become my new passion, and I really want to move forward and devote my life to it (and flying in general) as I have with the martial arts. I don't have too many hours in flight however; but so far I have experience winch-launching (release at 1800ft / max. alt. 3000ft), I've learned to use ridge-lift, I can initiate banked turns, I've flown within the pattern & landed, and Im able to use the horizon for airspeed (against a 20mph head-wind) ...

The downside ... Im no longer in school, and Im poor; is there anyway I can continue to fly somewhere; perhaps gain an apprenticeship with someone who owns planes, learning aviation mechanics, maybe helping 'em assemble their glider on the weekends, anything at all???
Im really trying to find a way to continue flying, and making progress as affordably as possible; but unfortunately I don't know anyone who "owns" a plane, that I could ask.

Im from Philly, and my instructor at school was Steve McGlaughlin (if anyones familiar) ... He was a Cross-Country Champion as far as I know.
To me, competition flying would be ideal, and to be honest ... I wanna fly in the Red-Bull Air-Race (or even the Sailplane Grand Prix).

You can call me crazy :)
I know "me" though ... If I can quit my job, and give my life 8hrs a day to train for a National Team, and take 3rd (my "first year" in Taekwondo); then I believe I can also rise quickly in anything I put my mind to. Not that I expect one thing to translate over to something completely different, like piloting aircraft, and Im not saying "Red Bull in a Year" either; I get it, all this is still too new to me; however, my commitment is "like that"; my desire is strong, Im incredibly ambitious, and I put a piece of my soul into everything that I commit to like this. Therefore, this has become my new martial arts; this is a "passion" for me; so I'll give all of myself in order to realize my dream.
I know I may sound somewhat ludicrous to people; some people laughed at me in martial arts also; they said "You wanna be Woooorld Class HAHAHAHAHA ..." but then I did it, and they shut their mouths.
Thats all. I just believe in "me", and I'd like someone else to also; I'll succeed for them as much as I will for myself.

The truth is, I am a little crazy; still, can somebody point me in the right direction? I have to start somewhere ...
I just wanna fly, as often as I can.

Last edited:
Your crazy. :goofy: But so are we all, well most of us anyway. ;)

Soaring is the pinnacle of flying. Being able to remain aloft with no power other than thermals is a real challenge and a sport you never fully master (like golf & surfing).

The local EAA chapter is a good place to start hanging out, although most are old guys clubs. Usually, it's the old guys that have the planes though. ;)

Hang out at your local airport on nice days and see who is flying. You can talk to them before or after their flight just to get to know them.

I would think as an PSU alumni you may still be able to be a member of the club for a while. Talk to the board of directors or what ever.

Where there is a will, there is a way. If you don't get hooked up right away be patient and persistent.

Welcome to POA

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

That's quite a story!

Did you complete your engineering degree? That could make a lot of difference in your earning power and ability to pay for instruction and the ensuing costly hobby.

If you're back in Philly the closest option for soaring is going to be the Philadelphia Glider Council: http://www.pgcsoaring.org/index.php

Start hanging out and getting to know people, even if you can't afford the membership fees etc. right away. Soaring people are good people and generally they'll help you find a way to achieve your goals if you show that you're really passionate.

How old are you? There are grants available for youth and first time contest pilots to cover entry fees etc.

If you need something to scratch the itch Soaring-wise over the winter and also get some competitive juices flowing, download the Condor soaring simulator, and start logging on for the US Nightly Soaring races (Tues-Sun). Lots of fun.

Did you fly with John Bird at PSU?

Join the military, I'm sure they would be happy to fund your dream to fly.

Welcome to the forum.

That's quite a story!

Did you complete your engineering degree? That could make a lot of difference in your earning power and ability to pay for instruction and the ensuing costly hobby.

No, thats what I mean; I can't afford to finish school, thats why Im not there this year.
Also, I live in Philly, and University Park (main campus) is 3hrs away in State College, Pa.

Last edited:
Join the military, I'm sure they would be happy to fund your dream to fly.

I tried (Marine Corps AND Air Force); only Commissioned Officers are pilots, and for that I "must" have a four year degree. Further, they said 28 was too old to be a pilot. No exceptions.

Last edited:
I tried (Marine Corps AND Air Force); only Commissioned Officers are pilots, and for that I "must" have a four year degree. Further, they said 28 was too old to be a pilot. No exceptions.

How about finishing school through ROTC, Uncle Sam will help you finish school.

That was going to be my suggestion. If you were to get an ROTC slot they would help you with school and maybe even provide a stipends (SP) for room and board.

The Navy paid for my sons Soph, Junior and Sr years of college. They have suggested (ie mandatory) courses he had to take in the math and science areas but you probably already have most of those as part of your Engineering course of study.

Can't hurt to give them a call.

Hey CityKnight. First Welcome to POA. Where in Philly do you live? Your options for soaring will vary depending upon where you live there are actually a few around here.

We actually have quite a large contingent of POAers from the Philly area myself included. (I'm out near Wings Field) Send me a PM with your contact info.

Anyway back to soaring, like I said there are a few operations that may work for you depending upon where you live. The one that I'm most familar with is the Philadelphia Glider Council. (PGC as everyone here knows it) Here is their website. http://www.pgcsoaring.org/index.php

I am friendly with one of the instructors there, I'll be happy to put you intouch with him.

I did! :)
Awesome teacher; he's who I flew with, during that 20mph head-wind.
It was in a Schweitzer 2-33.
How do you know John?

John was in my club in Kansas before he went to Penn state. I signed him off for his commercial glider check ride and have enjoyed flying with him. He flew our clubs ka-6 on kowbell in 2011 for gold distance.

I am a little late to this thread, but as a graduate from Penn States Aerospace Engineering department, welcome to POA!

I have been MIA from the forums for a while, but I remember it being a great place!

Welcome, I too am a Professional MMA fighter and student pilot (checkride this month hopefully)

Hit me up bruddah!

I flew and raced sailplanes for a number of years. Like you, I got the bug in a university soaring club. It took me 20 years to get over it. Flew mainly out of NJ but traveled the country chasing the racing. Some random thoughts.

Soaring Clubs are the ideal entry point but good ones are few and far between. PGC as others have mentioned is an old, established one and the people I've known there are great. Go there for sure. Spring is better than winter.

High performance gliders will blow you away compared to the Schweitzers. Fly in some fast glass 2 placers if you haven't already. Flying out of Penn State, you flew over some world class terrain. Doing 500K in the tree tops is about as good as it gets... well flying a thunderstorm gust front out west is pretty hot too, or doing engine-less "T&Gs" in FL is pretty cool too. It's all good!

The racing scene is small but fun and intense. The low dollar way in is to hang around with the racers and the contests and the Web sites. Offer crewing services (auto towing to contests, hanging around for retrieves, assembly and dissassembly help). If it's a fit, you'll stick.

If you are good at being a flying bum, travel around to hang out. Good soaring varies by season and no single location is good all year long... Look at where and when contests are held to figure out prime times. AUS is great way to wait out winter here (just takes $$$) but so is FL.

$$$ are an obstacle... marry up, cultivate friends with ships, etc. You seem psyched... good luck.

Bill "Foureyes" Watson - always a glider guider at heart

Back