Newark Airspace

coolgy59

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
James R.
Hey All,

So I'm hoping to fly back home for an overnight stay next week (if the weather isn't stormy) and I'm going back to my old stomping grounds at KLDJ. Yes, I know Linden isn't the best airport in the area, and for that I am sorry. Yes, I'm also admitting that I'm a native Jerseyite, and for that I also apologize.

Anyway, I just received my NY Sectional in the mail and opened it up to discoved that LDJ is sitting directly underneath EWR's Class B. Now I knew LDJ is right under the shelf, but I recalled that the ceiling over the field was 1200'. From this latest sectional (and TAC) it seems like the airspace above LDJ starts at 800' (see link below), which is, coincidentally, the TPA. Am I reading the map wrong? It seems a bit cramped in that area, so I wanted another opinion. Just interested in how I could fly the pattern without busting the Bravo. :dunno: Thanks!

http://skyvector.com/?ll=40.6174444,-74.2445833&chart=119&zoom=2

I read the chart, yes the Class B starts at 800 MSL
Yes, the TPA is 800 MSL according to the AF/D

I'm sure if you talk to approach in and out you'll not have a problem.

Yes, I'm also admitting that I'm a native Jerseyite, and for that I also apologize.

No, we're sorry too... jk.

From this latest sectional (and TAC) it seems like the airspace above LDJ starts at 800' (see link below), which is, coincidentally, the TPA.

Correct. It is a little easier to see on the NY Heli chart.

http://skyvector.com/?ll=40.617435280573105,-74.24463464836565&chart=200&zoom=3&plan=A.K6.KLDJ

It helps to coordinate with NY Approach and EWR Tower (127.85). They are very helpful.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm also admitting that I'm a native Jerseyite, and for that I also apologize.

it seems like the airspace above LDJ starts at 800' (see link below), which is, coincidentally, the TPA.

Born and raised in Newark, and for that I also apologize :rofl:.

I've never been to LDJ but if you're at 800' MSL, you're not in the Bravo.

"(Floors extending “upward from above” a certain altitude are preceded by a (+). Operations at and below these altitudes are outside of Class B Airspace)."

Which makes me wonder, why do they chart certain areas as +08 (+800msl) or +05 (+500msl)(south of JFK and over Staten Island).

I'm aware of what it means (floor of the Bravo starts above 800 & 500'msl), just confused about the reasoning behind it.

Why not just make it....
70 70
09 06 :dunno:. or just make the floors 800 and 500.

If I recall, the Hudson River corridor used to be +11.

Last edited:
I've only flown there as a pax, and I can't remember what the "real deal" is there. I've had more than one area pilot tell me "Why, you just fly at 799", or somesuch. That may actually be more or less what it entails... KEWR may just accept some slop in that small area... I can't remember. But other than ATC, if anybody can explain what's really expected of pilots flying to KLDJ, it would be someone from this club, which rotates their fleet between Linden and Caldwell. Don't feel weird contacting them just for this question... they are an easygoing bunch.

http://www.flyingclub.org/contact.html
And hey, that'll be enough of that self-deprecating "sorry I'm from Joisey" crap! :mad:
(Raised in Montvale- Exit 172 on the Parkway)
:lol:

Born and raised in Newark, and for that I also apologize :rofl:.

I've never been to LDJ but if you're at 800' MSL, you're not in the Bravo.

"(Floors extending “upward from above” a certain altitude are preceded by a (+). Operations at and below these altitudes are outside of Class B Airspace)."

Which makes me wonder, why do they chart certain areas as +08 (+800msl) or +05 (+500msl)(south of JFK and over Staten Island).

I'm aware of what it means (floor of the Bravo starts above 800 & 500'msl), just confused about the reasoning behind it.

Why not just make it....
70 70
09 06 :dunno:. or just make the floors 800 and 500.

If I recall, the Hudson River corridor used to be +11.

I asked this question of my CFI during my training days and the answer I got was that you could fly at 500 feet exactly and be outside the bravo but at 501 you'd be in the bravo. It never made much sense to me and he admitted itwas kind of a redicilous distinction as no one could ever fly that precisely nor would ATC actually recognize the one foot difference.

Back