New York to San Francisco (Cirrus)

Have any of you guys done a trip such as this? If so in what type of plane? Was/Would a trip such as this be fun or very, very uncomfortable?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkZDa8iAY8g

I've never done such a trip, but I think that a lot of it would depend on your attitude. I for one would be totally game for crossing the country in a 152...but I don't think many people would agree with me :rolleyes:.

Richmond, VA to Richland WA with stops in LIT and DEN. Tedious.

I did it both directions. The coast of North Carolina to Kanab, UT in one day, followed by Kanab to LA the next day. Day after, LA to NYC in one day. Plane was a Piper Aztec, 155 KTAS. Headwinds heading west, tailwinds heading east. Neither were much to write home about.

It is something that I'm very glad that I did once, because it felt like a good personal accomplishment. I wouldn't seek out doing the trip a second time, but I would if the reason came across.

I've flown with Hubby New York to Chico, CA in a C-172 several times. Can take up to 3 weeks for the round trip, but that includes stops to visit with family and evading weather. Sometimes end up going pretty far south to get past weather (Mississippi once, Georgia another time). Last time we did it, we had mechanical problems plague us and the good folks on PoA were there to help us out all across the country.

Lots of fun. Lots of good experience. As Ted says, do it once. Then decide whether to do it again.

I've never done such a trip, but I think that a lot of it would depend on your attitude. I for one would be totally game for crossing the country in a 152...but I don't think many people would agree with me :rolleyes:.
I think it would be fun, more fun than crossing the country in a jet. The thing is, there would need to be no time limit. I wouldn't want to try to do it in a hurry.

Yep, I've done it in a 182...going west...took three days...had a ball...coming east...all in one day....kicked my butt...

Last edited:
I've done a couple of transcons - three to four days in OMF symphonies with a mix of VFR and "good" IFR weather.

If you have the freedom to take your time (no "get there" pressures) and the right attitude (treat it like the adventure it is), it'll be a trip you'll treasure.

I live for flying cross country in anything that flies. I've flown ultralights, RV's, certified, anything that I can for any reason. I love it. I've met the most fantastic people just landing for fuel or for the night. I flight plan, but sometimes you just have to throw it out the window when weather pops up.

I've been weathered in for 3 days and had some of the best conversations and met she of the best people who treated me like family.

Can't wait for tthe next trip to knock out the last states back east and fly to Alaska just because.

Get out of your comfort zone... go for it! :yes:

Last edited:
I'd love to do a trip like this in the Cardinal. I'd want to give myself plenty of time and make the journey the point of it. I think a trip of this length I'd really want to include a RON stop in the middle. Unfortunately the reality is my ability to take enough time off from work is limited. Someday I'd love to go to Alaska!

Long Island to Sacramento in a Long EZ. Great trip, it's a beautiful country.
And a few other trips since....
My longest day was Memphis to Seattle in 11.5 Hobbs, one day. Nice ride.
Sure makes me appreciate my little Garmin.

Attachments

• Voyages of Waldo.jpg
    Voyages of Waldo.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 42
Have any of you guys done a trip such as this? If so in what type of plane? Was/Would a trip such as this be fun or very, very uncomfortable?

I've done that trip west to east and back, without the detours to boulder and jackson hole, in a C182. Three easy days each way, not uncomfortable at all. Fun and recommendable. :)

Want to do it in the 182. I'd be willing to do it in a 152 also. Haven't made it east of Wisconsin yet eastbound, but Kill Devil Hills and the monument and airport are calling. The airplane has been there. I haven't.

Given enough time, I'd fly the 182 anywhere. Money can be saved up to do it. It's the lack of personal time that kills my dreams of roaming around seeing the country with the Cessna.

I've never had the opportunity to go East to West or West to East, however, I have done East to Mid several times with my family in our old Cirrus Sr 20. We loved it. We only had 1 bad experience, 90+ degrees in the Houston Bravo airspace. That sucked and made realize that every small plane requires an air conditioner! It always goes back to the money versus time argument.

Ive done seattle to orlando in an ercoupe three times. Portland to orlando in one too. Also los angeles to new york in a super cub. That was fun.
Vegas to kittyhawk in a piper colt.
All were unique trips! Its a fun life!

Many times, I did coast to coast in my Travelair many times in 10 years and I did it in my 310 1.5 times last year (bought in AZ, flew east, back west and back to FL) plus a couple trips from SoFL to the NE a couple times and once to OSH.

I enjoy it and am quite comfortable doing it and don't mind peeing in a jug. YMMV, but the bit of time I spent in Cirrus planes I found them quite comfortable as well. It's a long day heading west, a really long day if the winds are up, but normally heading back east is faster, once I averaged 200kts in a 150kt airplane including the only 1 fuel stop I needed instead of 2-3.:goofy: Those are always great days.:yesnod:

Good video....

I like the comment about the rich private jets as he pulls onto the one ramp. By the time the video is over, you realize he is flying a Turbo Cirrus with Infared vision technology, O2 plug in, and weeping wings,......

Sweet plane, nice paint,... and very $$$$$,...

Haven't done it and won't, because I have no use for either NYC or SF...

But the grand tour at 500 feet (mostly) is still on my list and should happen within a year or two...

Good video....

I like the comment about the rich private jets as he pulls onto the one ramp. By the time the video is over, you realize he is flying a Turbo Cirrus with Infared vision technology, O2 plug in, and weeping wings,......

One of the things I've found to be the most interesting in aviation is that it shows you just how high the spectrum of "rich" goes. Many folks consider someone who can afford to fly at all rich, even if that includes renting an LSA. I've met folks who consider all of us rich simply because we have a house and food.

To the person who flies the 152 or 172, the person who owns the new Turbo Cirrus with all the goodies is rich.

To the Turbo Cirrus owner, the person who owns the King Air is rich.

To the King Air owner, the person who owns the Citation is rich.

To the Citation owner, the G-V owner is rich.

And to the G-V owner, the Boeing Business Jet owner is rich.

It is all very much a matter of perspective.

Good video....

Well the more I learn about general aviation the more I realize it's not an endeavor to consider unless you have plenty of expendable income. :no:

I think I might want to do that some day. I wonder How long it took to do in the 22T

Well the more I learn about general aviation the more I realize it's not an endeavor to consider unless you have plenty of expendable income. :no:

Or if there's a business need to support it.

Long Island to Sacramento in a Long EZ. Great trip, it's a beautiful country.
And a few other trips since....
My longest day was Memphis to Seattle in 11.5 Hobbs, one day. Nice ride.
Sure makes me appreciate my little Garmin.

Holy cow, is all of this solo?

NY to SF probably wouldn't be to bad in a Cirrus. They look like pretty comfortable planes from a cruising stand point and at Cirrus speed, you might even be able to make a trip like that in two days.

Alot different than what I'm currently looking at this summer - San Diego to Norfolk, VA in a 170 at 95 KTAS.

I did a trip from austin,tx to las vegas, nv two weeks ago (960 nm). Pretty sweet stuff, started talking to houston center and ended up with los angeles center when approaching klas. Just make sure to go with another pilot so you can nap on the way. Its not the optimal range of the cirrus nor the most comfortable ride for pax, but if you are doing it for the adventure then its quite a ride! Got to fly over west texas plains, deserts, mountains and also through different weather systems. Return flight sucked after being in vegas for three nights even though we saved a buffer day and night for rest before flying.

I did a trip from austin,tx to las vegas, nv two weeks ago (960 nm). Pretty sweet stuff, started talking to houston center and ended up with los angeles center when approaching klas. Just make sure to go with another pilot so you can nap on the way. Its not the optimal range of the cirrus nor the most comfortable ride for pax, but if you are doing it for the adventure then its quite a ride! Got to fly over west texas plains, deserts, mountains and also through different weather systems. Return flight sucked after being in vegas for three nights even though we saved a buffer day and night for rest before flying.

Please elaborate

NY to SF probably wouldn't be to bad in a Cirrus. They look like pretty comfortable planes from a cruising stand point and at Cirrus speed, you might even be able to make a trip like that in two days.

Alot different than what I'm currently looking at this summer - San Diego to Norfolk, VA in a 170 at 95 KTAS.

I thought 170's were a bit quicker? I'm guessing you're throttling back to save on 100LL. And extend range.

At least you're going west-east!

Please elaborate

I have found cirrus airplanes great for the 300-400 nm range. Longer distances and you will have to make fuel stops or do without much payload. Shorter than 300 nm and you might as well drive. You aint saving a lot of time.

The trip to las vegas was more of an adventure than an actual useful flight. I might as well have flown there save a ton of money and take the same or less time.

I have found cirrus airplanes great for the 300-400 nm range. Longer distances and you will have to make fuel stops or do without much payload. Shorter than 300 nm and you might as well drive. You aint saving a lot of time.

The trip to las vegas was more of an adventure than an actual useful flight. I might as well have flown there save a ton of money and take the same or less time.

flown on the airlines.

I may do this one day when I'm retired or have enough time to. I may end up doing it in an RV-12 just to show that LSA can be used for long X-country trips.

If you have to be retired to have time to do the trip, I don't think that shows much..

Everything is doable, but not always practical. Flying an LSA or 172 182 or whatever out of production plane you fly cross-country or heck even to Antarctica or across the Atlantic is possible, but is it practical or economically feasible? I don't really think so. Probably, you would be better off getting a seat on a 777 to fly you across the ocean or a 737 to fly you from la to ny in half a day. I strongly believe that we, most of the pilots in america including I, are here for the adventure more than the usefulness of GA.Although, we try to justify our flying to spouses, gfs, family, business etc we know deep in our hearts that spam cans (single or twin) are no more than toys for grown ups.

cheers

Never transcontinental, but I did do: Barbers Point, Midway, Majuro, Kwajalein, and back. But with a place to take a nap and a coffee maker it wasn't that big of a deal.

Back