New York to Florida

BrianR

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
BrianR
Encouraged by my recent relatively stress-free trip to the midwest and back, I am thinking about planning a trip later in the summer from Syracuse to Ocala.

This would be as a low-time VFR private pilot, in a well-equipped 182. Looking at direct routing, it would take me just west of the DC SFRA, west of Charlottesville, between Raleigh-Durham and Greensboro (likely with a mid-trip stop for food/fuel in that area), then about 50 miles east of Charlotte, over Savannah, along the coast for a bit, over Jacksonville and into Ocala.

What are the gotchas for that route? I suppose I'd be at 8500 or higher. Looks like the main issue would be 130 miles or so of mountainous and fairly inhospitable terrain from west of Frederick southwest through West Virginia. How reasonable is it to fly that route at 8500 or 10,500 on a summer day? Aside from that, there look to be just a couple R areas, as well as some low-level MOAs.

Suggestions? Alternatives? Comments? Aside from the intelligence of going to Florida in summer, which I once swore I'd never do again, but when the opportunity arises...;)

VFR...you might want to make sure you steer as clear of the CLT Bravo as practical...the initial climb outs are 7-10K...look at he IFR charts for the T Routes and stay outside of those...you should pass seamlessly by...

Cheaper gas along the coast...Columbus County NC Elizabethtown NC...Baxley Georgia are known to have good fuel prices...

It is really a straightforward flight once you get below the DC/Richmond Area..

I don't bother going around B airspace. Why inconvenience yourself when you can simply get on the radio and ask? I don't understand why GA pilots do this...

If you make it to Ocala, hit me up. It is my turf and I'll treat you to lunch or dinner.

If you make it to Ocala, hit me up. It is my turf and I'll treat you to lunch or dinner.

Will do! Though it's far from definite at this point. I have a friend in Ocala I haven't seen in a couple years, who has been asking since the day I got my PP when I was going to fly down and visit! If all the stars align properly, it may work out.

Can't comment on the piloting stuff but I can comment on the weather in Florida which is no secret. So far we are starting off with lots of wet afternoons. Thunderstorms, (or in pilot words, convection) occur quite frequently.

Ocala is not too far a drive for me. Let me know if you come down.

Brian, sounds like another fantastic adventure. You use your PP well! Have Fun!

Back