New XM Receiver... any PIREPS?

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
This past weekend, I attended a seminar taught by @scottd (which was awesome, btw). During a lunch break, Scott shared information on the new unit and what it and the new(ish) service brings to us tablet users. In his opinion, he is a fan of what all of this brings to the party.

Anyone else have one yet? Any PIREPS from the gallery here?

Unit is $500 (but Scott said there might be a rebate available): https://shop.siriusxm.com/siriusxm-aviation-receiver.html

XM subscription for ForeFlight users is $39/month: https://care.siriusxm.com/forefligh...ign=FOREFLIGHT1&utm_source=APP&utm_medium=web

Additional information is in Scott's Weather Blog: https://blog.foreflight.com/2016/09/26/tips-on-using-siriusxm-satellite-weather-in-foreflight/

And before folks go ranting off about ADS-B being free and all..... yeah, I get that....

But there is some actual utility with this solution that covers some shortfalls of ADS-B. Scott can elaborate more, but mainly this is a private company actually listening to Scott and ForeFlight and willing to improve existing products and develop new ones that are actually useful to pilots. Where ADS-B improvements and development is dependant on the government... and we know how quick that is [snarky_smily].

Nope, but when I made the switch to ADS-B, I kept my XM Radio subscription for just $4/mo. so I now have ADS-B & (limited) XM tunes.

I think it looks like a sound value, and there is a $200 rebate from Sportys. Need a reliable way to get the DM music out of it, though.

I don't know anything about the new receivers but my 496 puck frequently lost signal when northbound. This was a consistent problem in both my truck and plane and got worse the farther north I got. I struggled with it when I was working in Wisconsin and then later when working in South Dakota. Puck was always laid up against the windshield on the dash/glare shield.

I hope that they've overcome this shortcoming.

I think it looks like a sound value, and there is a $200 rebate from Sportys. Need a reliable way to get the DM music out of it, though.

It's not a sportys rebate. XM is doing it. Same deal on their website.

I'm still kinda wondering how much @AggieMike88 is getting paid by foreflight &/or scottd to be the spokesman for their products here. It seems like every two or three months Mike starts a thread similar to this one.

They're cunningly disguised as questions but, by the end of the read, they definitely come off as sales jobs.

I have nothing against foreflight, I love it and have flown with it since very early on, it just seems pretty obvious to me that Mike's their front man here.

But then again I may just be overly suspicious.

What say ye, Mike? Come clean now! :cool:

Last edited:
You're just overly suspicious. But it's fun.

Well, if I ever decide to sell the yard and downgrade to Minion, can I work for you as your top salesperson?

Being quiet is more a product of being busy in the office renovation and now training and developing a new team of sales minions.

And if Tyson or Scott wants to toss me a drastically reduced subscription price to their product, who am I to refuse?

Back