New Wings basic phase completed

TMetzinger

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
I get a discount off my insurance by completing recurrent training every year. WINGS is one of the things that counts, as would getting a new rating, going through a simcom/flightsafety course, or a few other things.

Since I'm a FAASTeam rep I decided to put my money where my mouth was, and did the BASIC phase of WINGS. I was able to complete the three credits of ground training via an FAA seminar, an FAA online course, and an AOPA online course. Then I got the flight requirements done by searching for matching credits, printing out the syllabus info, and going flying with an instructor.

One basic flying required credit was airwork and basic instruments - steep turns stalls, constant airspeed climbs and descents, and unusual attitude recoveries. That flight was just under an hour but we also did an approach for proficiency, so it could have been done in half an hour or so. The second flight of one hour covered another required credit of takeoffs and landings. We did normal and crosswind takeoffs and landings, a go around, soft and short field work. We also got the elective credit in that flight by doing a thorough preflight, taxiing, talking about light gun signals, and preparation for night flight.

Then I just scanned in the endorsements, forwarded them to another FAASTeam rep, and requested credit. About an hour later he'd approved the request, and I got an email letting me know I'd fulfilled the requirements for the basic phase. I was able to print out a certificate, which included the new expiration of my BFR at 6/30/2010, and I requested an award pin from AVEMCO. Lastly, I gave the system the email addresses of my insurance agent, and the admin folks at the two places I rent from, and they all will get an email from the FAA with my "transcript".

So, all in all:

• The system works.
  • It requires less flying than it used to IF (and only if) you are proficient. It's quite possible to meet all the requirements for a basic flight phase in 1.5 hours of dual, or less.
  • It's much nicer to do it all online and get your certificate right away than waiting for the FSDO safety program manager process it for you.
  • I'll take a picture of my pin when it arrives.
I'm a lot more comfortable recommending the new system now that I've gone through it. Next year I'll do an advanced phase (CFI-A should cover most of it) and the following year I'll do a master (the CFII should cover most of that). After that I think I can just do any phase I want, but we'll see.

I also did the "new wings" this year. I did the "old wings" last time, and before that was my IR checkride and ASEL checkride... (so I've never had a "traditional" flight review).

It wasn't that difficult to find my way through the web site, but I'm used to dealing with web sites of various designs... the instructions could still be simplified.

I did the ground portion with three online FAA courses. They were OK, not as bad as some online training, not as good. The basic design was good -- take the course, take the quiz (open "book") until you get 100%. For the course I took on ADM, I'd like to see some discussion of why their answer was considered the "best" answer (they do say up front that more than one answer could be "right", they want the "best" answer).

I think the AOPA ASF online courses may be better (higher production values at least), but I could not figure out how to get wings credit for them, so I just did the FAA courses instead.

One premise of the "new wings" is that the training will be tailored to the type of flying you do. That was not the case, since there aren't that many classes yet, and it seems none of them at the basic level are for instrument pilots. I assume this will get better as the program evolves.

The flying portion hits the same issue: all the applicable/available flying options are from the Private Pilot PTS.

That turned out to be OK for me -- I hadn't actually done some of those manouovers since I got my private, and it was a really good review, which is the whole idea. But it would have been better if of the three flying units, one had been along the same lines, but focussing on intrument flying (and not just doing some approaches for legal currency).

I think I could have gotten the same thing out of a well-planned tradtional flight review with a conscientious CFI. Since I had a conscientious CFI, who didn't cut any corners, I guess what we gained for the flying portion was an easy-to-follow plan of what to cover.

--david

Tim,

Get your CFI and add that to your WINGS tally.

After I passed the CFI and submitted all my credits, I received three pins from the nice folks at Avemco Insurance -- Basic through Master.

I'd completed most of the AOPA online courses as well as some extra stuff for CAP that counted as well.

Now if it would only make a difference to the AOPA renter/non-owned insurance....

I also did the "new wings" this year. I did the "old wings" last time, and before that was my IR checkride and ASEL checkride... (so I've never had a "traditional" flight review).

It wasn't that difficult to find my way through the web site, but I'm used to dealing with web sites of various designs... the instructions could still be simplified.

I did the ground portion with three online FAA courses. They were OK, not as bad as some online training, not as good. The basic design was good -- take the course, take the quiz (open "book") until you get 100%. For the course I took on ADM, I'd like to see some discussion of why their answer was considered the "best" answer (they do say up front that more than one answer could be "right", they want the "best" answer).

I think the AOPA ASF online courses may be better (higher production values at least), but I could not figure out how to get wings credit for them, so I just did the FAA courses instead.

One premise of the "new wings" is that the training will be tailored to the type of flying you do. That was not the case, since there aren't that many classes yet, and it seems none of them at the basic level are for instrument pilots. I assume this will get better as the program evolves.

The flying portion hits the same issue: all the applicable/available flying options are from the Private Pilot PTS.

That turned out to be OK for me -- I hadn't actually done some of those manouovers since I got my private, and it was a really good review, which is the whole idea. But it would have been better if of the three flying units, one had been along the same lines, but focussing on intrument flying (and not just doing some approaches for legal currency).

I think I could have gotten the same thing out of a well-planned tradtional flight review with a conscientious CFI. Since I had a conscientious CFI, who didn't cut any corners, I guess what we gained for the flying portion was an easy-to-follow plan of what to cover.

--david

New AOPA courses have codes on them that correspond to an FAA syllabus number. Many older courses can be found by doing an "advanced search" on the faasafety.gov website, or by sending me an email - I'll be happy to see if I can find a credit that matches.

As for the flying stuff, there are syllabuses for advanced and master flight routines that are at the instrument or commercial level. Keep in mind that the focus is on accident causal factors, so you're gonna see the same things stressed at all levels, just to different standards.

You can certainly meet the flight review requirements, and probably in LESS time, by doing a traditional flight review with a CFI, if you're proficient. What WINGS gives you is a nifty pin, a guided focus on stuff that is statistically important to safety, and the potential for savings on your insurance costs.

What WINGS gives you is a nifty pin, a guided focus on stuff that is statistically important to safety, and the potential for savings on your insurance costs.
I know they used to do the pins under the old program, but last I heard (more than 6 months ago) they didn't have a sponsor for the pins for the new program. Is Avemco sponsoring them for ALL participants, or just their customers?

And, as Dan mentioned, it would be nice if the AOPA/AIG renter's insurance offered a discount for completing it!

Back