New Video up: First Flight

Gadgetman

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Darren
Hey POA friends,

I like to share my new video I made and taking up a friend on her First Flight. Enjoy!

Equipment used: GoPro Hero 2

Best Regards,
Darren

Nice video! So Darren, were you or your passenger more shocked at the door opening?

Nice video! So Darren, were you or your passenger more shocked at the door opening?

Thank you... Hahaha, she grabbed my arm so she wouldn't get sucked out like you see in the movies. Did you see her reaction when the door pop'd open? :lol:

I sure did noticed her grabbing you. Your reaction was like "this happens all the time". Either that or you were putting your Captain face on :) -- that's why I asked.

I don't know if it's the same for everyone, but when your video ends and youtube shows you other vids you can watch, did anyone else see that freaky lookin chick staring you down? just something I noticed :)

this is what I was talking about..........I know, I must be bored this morning....

Attachments

• freaky.jpg
    freaky.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 44
I'm not nitpicking but I'm curious...is checking the doors on your checklist and if so, how do you check them?

I'm not nitpicking but I'm curious...is checking the doors on your checklist and if so, how do you check them?

During our passenger brief, I did give her door a push after helping her fastening her seat belt; also emphasis with her about doors opening in flight to not panic.

In this short video, I show you when I checked the door to ensure it was secured.

Last edited:
Good thing the handle didn't come off in yer hand. :eek:

In this short video, I show you when I checked the door to ensure it was secured.

Note: It's currently being uploaded and check back in about 30 mins.

OK, you are vindicated. LOL. This is a tough crowd!

Last edited:
Darren, I suddenly have the urge to get my instrument rating with you. That reads much dirtier than it seemed in my head. I'm currently flying out of NAS Jax with the Navy flying club, but have considered flying with Kacpyr Gradzky over at Herlong...not sure if you know him or his outfit (http://www.jacksonvilleflighttraining.com/).

Anyway, you work for Florida Flyers? I'm curious about just doing instrument training with you guys as opposed to a whole zero-to-hero type thing. I'm a sub-100 hour PP-ASEL.

Very nice!
Thanks!

Nice Job. Great music!
Thanks! Finding the right music for the mood is kinda tough. Some audience like music and some don't and just want to hear noisy cockpit sounds.

Darren, I suddenly have the urge to get my instrument rating with you. That reads much dirtier than it seemed in my head. I'm currently flying out of NAS Jax with the Navy flying club, but have considered flying with Kacpyr Gradzky over at Herlong...not sure if you know him or his outfit (http://www.jacksonvilleflighttraining.com/).

Anyway, you work for Florida Flyers? I'm curious about just doing instrument training with you guys as opposed to a whole zero-to-hero type thing. I'm a sub-100 hour PP-ASEL.

You can visit our website at: www.florida-flyers.com We offer either Part 61 or 141. Just ask for Bettina (VP of the company) and let her know I sent you. Right now, I'm working on 2 PPL students who are almost ready for their Check ride and 1 Instrument student who is doing it Part 141. She's almost ready for her Stage 1 check. If you visit my youtube site, you can see other videos; Private, Instruments, and Commercial. I really enjoy teaching flying and have 990 TT with 664 TT dual given.

All the best!
Darren

You made her wear the David Clarks? Chivalry is dead... :)

:lol: I know... Had these DC's since 2000. They're still comfortable and I decided keep them for my passengers.

I love my Lightspeed Zulu's. They are very comfortable; recommend them for anyone. If your a CFI, you also get a significant discount if you purchase them directly from Lightspeed. You would just need to fill out a form and make copies of your log book to prove that you are actively teaching students.

In this video, I was observing Linda's cross country flight with a diversion. She did good. Last week, she passed her Private and I'm currently teaching her Instruments.

Enjoy!
Darren

Darren, great job on the videos!

Do you have an easy reference for tips on how to operate the GOPRO? I received one as a gift and I'm excited to use it!

One easy question: What are you using to get the radio audio into the film?

Bill D.

Darren, great job on the videos!

Do you have an easy reference for tips on how to operate the GOPRO? I received one as a gift and I'm excited to use it!

One easy question: What are you using to get the radio audio into the film?

Bill D.

Bill,

Here's a cable that would work for your audio interface in order for you to record the intercom/radio communications.
http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/1622

I'm using the GoPro Hero2 and if you got the Hero3, the cable above will not work because you dont have an input audio for the camera. GoPro sells an additional adapter that you would need to purchase.

Tips:
1. Think of how you plan to display your video. In other words, think of a story line. An example what I like to use is to record the student picking up ATIS, then making radio calls to ground. Next scene is to show the taxiing video (You would need to reposition the camera). Now, you can record the engine run up, (again repositioning the camera). Then commutations for take off. Then the take off roll to rotate and climb out. Move the camera to the front window and record the runway behind the airplane recording both pilots. Next reposition the camera to the side view.
Do you get the idea? I only use 1 camera and take short videos segments.

2. Battery life in the camera is short. Use an external battery pack like this one from Best Buy. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Peak+Po...684537933&skuId=5709927&st=mycharge&cp=1&lp=1

3. Have extra memory cards if you tend to take longer videos.

4. Learn how to edit video w/wo music. I'm using Final Cut Pro for my iMac computer.

I hope that help some.
Darren

Last edited:
Back