New Technique?

poadeleted1

Deleted by request
From a Peter Schweizer op-ed in USA Today:
In a brilliant new white paper on public diplomacy, Michael Waller, the Walter and Leonore Annenberg chair in International Communication at The Institute of World Politics, makes a strong case for America's employing a new powerful weapon against the terrorists: ridicule.
Actually, this has been tried, by the Piranha Brothers. From a July 9, 1970 "Monty Python's Flying Circus" sketch by the same name:
Vercotti: Well, I was terrified. Everyone was terrified of Doug. I've seen grown men pull their own heads off rather than see Doug. Even Dinsdale was frightened of Doug.
2nd Interviewer: What did he do?
Vercotti: He used--sarcasm. He knew all the tricks: dramatic irony, metaphor, bathos, puns, parody, litotes and--satire. He was vicious.
Presenter: By a combination of violence and sarcasm, the Piranha brothers by February 1966 controlled London and the Southeast of England.

A friend who is a Major in the USAF (KC-10 commander, instructor and check airman) once told me (if I remember correctly) that the pillars of AF flight training were intimidation, sarcasm and ridicule (what happened to the spell checker, Chuck?).

RotaryWingBob said:
A friend who is a Major in the USAF (KC-10 commander, instructor and check airman) once told me (if I remember correctly) that the pillars of AF flight training were intimidation, sarcasm and ridicule (what happened to the spell checker, Chuck?).

Those are most assuredly 3 tools my dad used on me. And not only in flying. Talk about "The Great Santini" - same guy AF Blue, but in B-52s.

Back