New Student!

ethosunum

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
EthosUnum
Been lurking here silently for awhile, but finally bit in and did my discovery flight today in a 172S steam gauge. Visibility here in Northern Va was great. Left out of KJYO towards Frederick, over Harper's Ferry and Summit Point race track, then swinging back around to JYO. A whole 0.9 hours. All in all seamed to be a great day to be out there and got along great with my instructor. Hopefully i'll be able to do more than just lurk around now

Now to find a way to pay for a new hobby . . .

Congratulations.
Welcome to the club!

Congrats and welcome. Busy area your going to be training in.

Congratulations and welcome to the addiction!

So how did you enjoy your flight?

Thank you all for the welcome.

My schedule is already booked the next few weekends and then i'm on a 3 week vacation out of the country in October. I figure it would be better off on my wallet to not take a few lessons weeks apart sporadically. I will wait till I can go back to back sat/sun for a few weekends in a row to start off. So with that said I am planning to start in Nov. Here's to hopping for a light winter.

The flight was great, got along well with my instructor and the staff at the school and, having been an aircraft maintenance tech and aviation safety inspector, answered any technical question i threw at him.

I also found a local maker group that is building a plane from planes that I'm planning on participating. Hope it'll help with a deeper understanding of the internal mechanics.

Thank you all for the welcome.

My schedule is already booked the next few weekends and then i'm on a 3 week vacation out of the country in October. I figure it would be better off on my wallet to not take a few lessons weeks apart sporadically. I will wait till I can go back to back sat/sun for a few weekends in a row to start off. So with that said I am planning to start in Nov. Here's to hopping for a light winter.

One of the best bits of advice I got as a fledgling student was to save up at least 66-75% of the total funds needed before starting. Then open up the tap at the bottom of the money bucket and do training, while filling in the remaining amount into top of the bucket.

This way, lack of funds does not become an impediment to training. Long gaps between lessons will just add to the costs because you lose the fine details (both information and muscle training) you paid big bucks to acquire.

In most areas of the US, a private pilot license is about $9000 +/- $1000. There are many ways to be well under that budget, one of which is train frequently and keep at it.

Another bonus to having all of that cash is the peace of mind you can afford your training an are not robbing other areas of the household budget.

And it's insurance against Mr. Murphy showing up and taking away the training money because the fridge died, or the transmission won't shift, or the wife needs that pair of Jimmy Choo's and matching handbag.

@OP: Good idea. Keep your training consistent and in between lessons, immerse yourself with all information aviation.

So i was working on this to try something new and to see if it would be useful during my training. It could be usefull for others. I tried a stab at making an app to record gps position and save it as a google earth tour. It'll record the audio as well and have it synchronized with the tour. I started it thinking it may be useful during my training for review. As i havn't quite discovered what other information may be useful to track, it doesn't do much else. And i'm definitely open to feedback.

if anyone is interested in donating for it, i put it on the play store($2, no ads, no subscription, flat rate). All of it, minus googles cut, will go to PPL training. If any of you in PoA want it for free, i can just send you the apk for you to put on your android.

PM me for the link to the play store or with an email to send you the apk.

Mod's, if this falls into the advertising rules too much please let me know.

First forray into an app, so it may not be very "pretty" to look at, but hey it's supposed to run in the background. The tour runs in google earth, so you'll need that on your phone or your desktop to play it back.

...and it starts

You'll have a lighter wallet, but you'll have a hell of a time and will be meeting some great folks to boot

Back