New student with a question

athleticgeek

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Geekyathlete
Im starting to fly here in reno and i have been using my gopro,
I am getting great video but my audio is all prop,
What are the things i need to but to get radio talk aswell?.

At minimum a lavalier microphone tucked into your headset that plugs into the GoPro.

I think it's kinda funny that airline guys fight a cockpit camera tooth and nail while GA pilots try to figure out how to amass the maximum evidence against themselves as possible. :rofl:

I think it's kinda funny that airline guys fight a cockpit camera tooth and nail while GA pilots try to figure out how to amass the maximum evidence against themselves as possible. :rofl:
How true that is. But the same is true in many professions. When I was training we typically videotaped everything, now I would never videotape anything I do, way too much fodder for the lawyers.

We just don't publish all the "bad" stuff... :wink2:

Im starting to fly here in reno and i have been using my gopro,
I am getting great video but my audio is all prop,
What are the things i need to but to get radio talk aswell?.
Here's what I did, it's the cheapest/easiest way (just cockpit audio, no prop/environment sounds):

Get a 1/4" y-splitter from RadioShack. It's got one 1/4" male split to two 1/4" female ends. You'll plug this into the airplane headphone jack.

You'll also need one 1/4" male to 1/8" (3.5mm) female adapter. Plug this in one of the two 1/4" female plugs from the adapter and plug your headset into the other, while plugging your mic into the normal plug on the aircraft.

Lastly, get a 1/8" (3.5mm) audio cable and go from the adapter to your GoPro. I bought all this a couple years ago, but I bet you can get it all for about $15 at the 'Shack.

To make it cleaner, I use the same set-up but instead of recording on the camera, I use a separate audio recorder so I don't have to run a wire to wherever the camera is.

Last edited:
If I wrecked my plane, I bet that video in the cockpit would disappear pretty fast. :rofl:

LOL, there is a problem with doing that though, if they ever find out there was a video and you destroyed it, you can be in deeper crap than for the crash.

LOL, there is a problem with doing that though, if they ever find out there was a video and you destroyed it, you can be in deeper crap than for the crash.
How can they prove the SD card didn't get snapped in half during the crash? :wink2:

Having the lessons recorded can be a good teaching tool. They sure helped me pull things together. Not saying that I would throw all of them on YouTube though!

Having the lessons recorded can be a good teaching tool. They sure helped me pull things together. Not saying that I would throw all of them on YouTube though!

Yeah I agree. When it is recorded you can review your flight and also make sure that all issues that had been mentioned have been corrected.

Back