New starter for my Cardinal.

TulsaWeather

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TulsaWeather
Just replaced my Prestolite with a Sky-tech. 9lbs lighter off the front of the WB arm. Nice!

Now, what to do with a working Prestolite starter, other than use it as ballast in the car's trunk when ice hits this winter.

Boat anchor? Mid evil attack weapon? Extreme bowling ball?

Keep it. You, a hangar neighbor, or passerby will be aog with a starter someday and you can loan it to them. I have 2 of them in my hangar, 1 for each lycoming flywheel. Both of them have been loaned out a few times over the years.

Keep it. You, a hangar neighbor, or passerby will be aog with a starter someday and you can loan it to them. I have 2 of them in my hangar, 1 for each lycoming flywheel. Both of them have been loaned out a few times over the years.

Or just hand flip it?

...we actually made money on our OEM starter...we paid to get it refurb'd then sold it. The cost of refurb was less than what we could sell it for so we figured we'd refurb it and try to sell it and if we didn't...well, we had a handy spare. Worked out great...YMMV...

James, did you replace it for W&B? I'm thinking of doing that. A 270 pound friend I fly with can't fly with me if I have over 30 gallons in the tanks. I'll have to do the math, but I think -9 pounds might do the trick.

James, did you replace it for W&B? I'm thinking of doing that. A 270 pound friend I fly with can't fly with me if I have over 30 gallons in the tanks. I'll have to do the math, but I think -9 pounds might do the trick.

Tell him /her to lose weight....

They will live longer and your plane plane will fly better...:yes:....;)

IMO definitely worth doing for the weight loss.

That said, if you are worried about 9 lbs as a go/no decision, your empty weight is almost certainly inaccurate by more than that.

Photo shows before and after electrics for my travel air. The monster delco generators were only good for 25amps each.

attachment.php

Attachments

• old vs new electrics sm.JPG
    old vs new electrics sm.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 87

CG and wanted a faster spin, 9 lbs on the front of the arm. Scoots my CG back a bit too. Spins the prop a LOT faster than the prestolite did. I almost look forward to my first hot start. I think.

...if you are worried about 9 lbs as a go/no decision, your empty weight is almost certainly inaccurate by more than that.

It's not the weight, Jeff, it's the balance. Even with the 270 pounder I'm still 300 under gross. The CG is just a tad too far forward though, unless I have less than 30 gallons in the tanks. The -9 might be enough to move the CG back into the envelope.

I'd agree with keep the old one as a spare for "just in case." I keep a spare starter in my wing locker. Sure found it useful a bit under a year ago in Wyoming when the old one quit.

It's not the weight, Jeff, it's the balance. Even with the 270 pounder I'm still 300 under gross. The CG is just a tad too far forward though, unless I have less than 30 gallons in the tanks. The -9 might be enough to move the CG back into the envelope.
might be just the ticket. And anyways it's a much better starter.

Just for grins, charge up your battery, take the spark plugs out, and see if the airplane will roll a little while cranking.

I could use the old starter as ballast in the cargo area. THAT would be plenty to keep me in CG w/ two in the front.

I did the same thing to my Tampico last year. The old starter is in the tool box in the back of my truck. IIRC the bendix is shot on mine.

I netted out 18 pounds lighter with the changes I made during that annual. Swapped starters, took out the ADF & antenna, etc.

Back