New "Seattle" sectional errors

kgruber

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skywag
I really like the new layout of the SEA sectional, all except for their terrain depiction. The new contour lines are just horrible, and blend into a mushy dingy yellow blob of obscurity.

Also, there are errors. For instance the dams and reservoirs on the Elwha River have been demolished for years, but are still on the chart.

http://www.nps.gov/olym/naturescience/elwha-ecosystem-restoration.htm

And Vista Field (S98) is closed, and information has been out for a year on that.

My guess is that "pilotage" is no longer being taught, since the young instructors never did it anyway, since their instructors didn't either. It is a lost art and the chart makers obviously agree.

Maybe no one told AeroNav? Who at DNR even thinks about sectional charts (or knows that they exist)? The airport manager at Kennewick should have notified them....I don't expect AeroNav to have drones or satellites searching for closed airports. Someone has to tell them...why not you? BTW, the closure of Kennewick didn't make it into the General Aviation News until the issue before last.

Bob Gardner

Bob,

I am too busy bitching about the errors to give them a call.

AND: I love this....

"""Should you discover or encounter an error in any of our products, you are encouraged to contact us immediately. Before you do however, please check the Alerts/Notices webpage to see if the error has been previous discovered or resolved. FAA has no effective way to contact every individual that has downloaded a digital product; therefore, you are requested to check the Alerts/Notices webpage often.""""

But they don't give you a clue as to where/how to contact them.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago Aeronav had the identifier wrong for Pearson Field on the sectional ('VOU' when it should have been 'VUO').

I sent an e-mail to Aeronav at 9-AMC-Aerochart@faa.gov, though I forget now where I found that address. Within a couple of days I got a phone call from Aeronav thanking me for catching the error. A correction was posted on the next cycle of the Chart Bulletin.

Bob,

I am too busy bitching about the errors to give them a call.

AND: I love this....

"""Should you discover or encounter an error in any of our products, you are encouraged to contact us immediately. Before you do however, please check the Alerts/Notices webpage to see if the error has been previous discovered or resolved. FAA has no effective way to contact every individual that has downloaded a digital product; therefore, you are requested to check the Alerts/Notices webpage often.""""

But they don't give you a clue as to where/how to contact them.

From the AeroNav FAQ:

How can I report chart discrepancies?
You are encouraged to bring charting errors to our attention. Every FAA Aeronautical product contains contact information and brief instructions for reporting charting errors. You may contact us by mail, telephone, and e-mail:
Mailing Address:

FAA, AeroNav Products AJV-3
Second Floor, Station 2111
10201 Good Luck Road
Glenn Dale, MD 20769-9700
Telephone.......(800) 626-3677 toll free, U.S. only
Telephone.......(301) 344-6341 local, MD, VA, DC
E-mail...............9-AMC-Aerochart@faa.gov

Bob,

Thanks.............now I'm out to batten down the hatches (old Coast Guard term). Wind coming up here in the desert. The doors are howling!

Back