yet another right seater

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
My 5yo son and I have been doing a lot of biking this year. We've been riding in the street and he's been listening well, so I figured it was time to stick him in the right seat.

I adjusted the seat such that he couldn't kick the flap handle or reach the yoke. I was worried that he'd try to remove his seatbelt or otherwise get unruly, but he was fine.

He was a great passenger and he had a great time. I didn't even have to break out the iPad. Hopefully I have a new flying compadre!

Excellent George, glad to hear!

My 5yo son and I have been doing a lot of biking this year. We've been riding in the street and he's been listening well, so I figured it was time to stick him in the right seat.

I adjusted the seat such that he couldn't kick the flap handle or reach the yoke. I was worried that he'd try to remove his seatbelt or otherwise get unruly, but he was fine.

He was a great passenger and he had a great time. I didn't even have to break out the iPad. Hopefully I have a new flying compadre!

Great isn't it? I exposed my son when he was a tot and he went on to get his PPC w/ myself as CFI. A few years ago took my grandson up, think he was 4-5, and let him fly the plane doing turns and sorta climbs and descents. Wasn't afraid at all and enjoyed seeing his school and the ball fields where he plays baseball from the air. Need to get him back up again, along with my son's son, soon.

Always fun to take up kids ,even if there not yours,that's why I fly young eagles. I did take my own kids up at an early age but neither got the bug.

Went up again today for a pancake run. Still working on the whole "sterile cockpit" thing, but overall a great flight.

My son started flying when he was a couple months old and fly in the right seat at three years. It's worked out great. I wouldn't hesitate with most kids.

We headed over to MD1 today. He started to express an interest in helping, so I gave him some landmarks to look for. He played with his iPad on the way home, which helped with the chatter.

Last edited:
Took my younger son (4.5) for his first flight recently. Lots of questions about the panel, followed by pure giddiness after engine start, followed by silence as soon as we began the takeoff roll. We flew out to the bay, looked at container ships and sailboats, the bridge, then called it a day and headed home for ice cream at the FBO.

Took my younger son (4.5) for his first flight recently. Lots of questions about the panel, followed by pure giddiness after engine start, followed by silence as soon as we began the takeoff roll. We flew out to the bay, looked at container ships and sailboats, the bridge, then called it a day and headed home for ice cream at the FBO.
Ya got him hooked. Cause and effect. Fly in plane, get ice cream.

And you are officially the “cool” dad. Wait until he wants you to take him with some of his friends.

Back