woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
Hi

It used to be that if I didn't check online for say, an hour, the next time I logged in I would only see new posts as being those since my last login.

Today, nothing is being "marked" as an old post. Right now I'm up to nearly 300 "new posts" despite a number of logins today (which should only have me at maybe 30-40 new posts on a normal day.

I don't know if I am explaining this well.

Also, where is the "marked as read" button?

Hi

It used to be that if I didn't check online for say, an hour, the next time I logged in I would only see new posts as being those since my last login.

Today, nothing is being "marked" as an old post. Right now I'm up to nearly 300 "new posts" despite a number of logins today (which should only have me at maybe 30-40 new posts on a normal day.

I don't know if I am explaining this well.

Also, where is the "marked as read" button?

No changes that I know of. Jesse may speak up...but I haven't changed anything.

The "Mark Forums Read" is in the top bar under "Quick Links".

I changed the "session" time from 15 minutes to two hours because those that refuse to use the remember me feature were losing posts that they spent more than 15 minutes writing. Because of that the new posts is based on two hours, not 25 minutes.

I changed the "session" time from 15 minutes to two hours because those that refuse to use the remember me feature were losing posts that they spent more than 15 minutes writing. Because of that the new posts is based on two hours, not 25 minutes.

Would that explain why the system said that yesterday had the most visitors ever on at one time?

Would that explain why the system said that yesterday had the most visitors ever on at one time?

Yes, people are now logged in longer which means more users logged in.

What is remember me? How long is someone logged in if they wander off for say an hour and a half?

p. I was pretty sure the "old marked forums read" could be done forum by forum - not across the board?

Something has changed in the past day or two. Previously I could use forum tools to mark an individual forum read and that option is not available now. Also, posts are being compressed by the elimination of extra lines (CR control character ignored). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoPiJOubR-4

Something is really goofed up here. Quotes can be converted to gibberish. Example:
I just use "experimental blah blah blah" - saying "Merlin ..." (the "model") would mean nothing to nobody and saying the "Make" which is the names of the guys who originally built it would mean even less.

Mr. Ronachamp was kind engough to look up the designation for a Macair Merlin for me (which is basicly the same kit) and I have it written down in case I need it. But otherwise...

p. I was pretty sure the "old marked forums read" could be done forum by forum - not across the board?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-03-18 at 7.41.45 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-03-18 at 7.41.45 AM.png
    71.7 KB · Views: 109
That's the way it formerly worked. Now when I click on it the drop down menu does not open but it takes me to the bottom of the page.

It worked properly for me just now. Can you clear your cache and try again (or try a different browser)?

It worked properly for me just now. Can you clear your cache and try again (or try a different browser)?
Clearing the cache worked. Previously when the cache was too full other pages would not load properly and it has never messed up this site before. Thanks.

I did "delete browsing history" and it didn't do anything. It still shows quick links and mark forums read, which marks EVERYTHING read, not an individual forum.

Who the heck takes more than 15 minutes to write a post?!? We're not writing essays or novels, here. :crazy:

The other thing to point out is that if someone took over 15 mins to write a post, is it better off lost? ;)

Or, you start, take a phone call, go back...

Not sure if Jesse is still reading this, but, does the two hour change mean that if I am logged in, then click off... it still shows me as logged in two hours later?

If so, isn't that a bit excessive? I guess I can see that 15 minutes is too little, but maybe 30 minutes?

If someone can't finish a post in two hours (due to WHATEVER reason) why would they still even want to post it?

I also don't understand how things would "get lost" because you are still logged in. If I were to type something, walk away and walk back much later - I am still logged in, right? How does the post get lost?

It's really trippy to log in and see 15 people on my friend list logged in at the same time - instead of the usual 5 or so. Especially if it means that they might not actually be logged in, because they wandered off 45 minutes ago.

If someone can't finish a post in two hours (due to WHATEVER reason) why would they still even want to post it?
Sometimes those words of wisdom are timeless. ;) :D

If I'm planning to write a long post on any of the forums (which I rarely do now), I now either write it somewhere else on my computer and copy and paste it in the reply box (is that what you call this thing?), or save my response intermittently as I write it. In the past it would be lost as I hit Preview Post, or when I would hit Submit Reply. Over the years, for various reasons, I've lost some of my long-winded responses before posting them. Sometimes it's because of my stupid satellite connection. It used to happen a lot on the red board...they used to have a lot of technical problems. Technical problems don't happen nearly as much here. :)

I don't like it. Change it back to 15 minutes, please.

It could also be solved by doing a "control-a then control-c" before you post, if it gets lost then you just re-open and re-paste it in.

I'm surprised so many people look at the list of people who are logged in. I rarely do.

I like it. Leave it like it is, please.

Two hours is a lot - especially if it showing that people are still logged in two hours after they left.

Not sure if Jesse is still reading this, but, does the two hour change mean that if I am logged in, then click off... it still shows me as logged in two hours later?
If you log yourself out no. But there is no magical way for the software to know if you're looking at your computer or not. I'm not sure why vbulletin considers the session time and the activity timer the same way but they do.
I also don't understand how things would "get lost" because you are still logged in. If I were to type something, walk away and walk back much later - I am still logged in, right? How does the post get lost?
If you use the Remember Me feature you'll still be logged in. If you don't and you open up a thread, spend some time reading it, get distracted and go do something else, then come back and type a reply into the quick reply box at the bottom it could get lost if you exceeded the session time without using the remember me feature.

OK. I never "log out", I just click the X at the top of the screen and the browser goes away. If I re-click to open it up again, I am automatically logged in - I don't re-type the password (if that is what you mean).

No idea what Remember Me feature is.

ps. you have to know that folks here are going to notice there are changes and wonder what happened!

Maybe a time somewhere in the middle? Is 1/2 hour enough to write a post, for those who won't click "Remember Me?"

I only look at the logged-in users occasionally, but when I do I like it to be worthwhile information - Having a list of everyone who looked at a page on PoA in the last 2 hours is pretty useless.

Back