New plane pricing

glyn ferrell

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
glyn ferrell
Hoping for expert advice on negotiating prices of a new Cessna T206H verses a late model (97 up to 99) T206H with very low hours? Do you feel there is more flexibility in the NEW plane pricing or the late model (97 to 99) T206H? Thanks

Depends on who's selling. The seller sets the asking price, but something is worth only what someone will give you for it. Find a desperate seller who needs the cash, and you'll get a better deal, regardless of whether it's new or used.

My experience in buying new airplanes is a few years old, but the dealers were more willing to add bling for nothing than to cut the price.

My experience in buying new airplanes is a few years old, but the dealers were more willing to add bling for nothing than to cut the price.
Well that explains the rhinestone-encrusted SR-22's I keep seeing on the ramp.
Not to mention the 182 I saw last week with the spinning dubs and subwoofer kit.

Well that explains the rhinestone-encrusted SR-22's I keep seeing on the ramp.
Not to mention the 182 I saw last week with the spinning dubs and subwoofer kit.
Not to mention the undercarriage neon and, my favorite, lowrider landing gear!

Not to mention the undercarriage neon and, my favorite, lowrider landing gear!
Undercarriage neon is the number one cause of reported UFO sightings in Atlanta, Los Angeles, and Miami.

Do you mind taking a big depreciation hit right off the bat? If not, buy the new one. The 97-99 will hold its value better.

Why spend all that money for the same plane?:dunno:
All your doing is lining the legal defense fund of Cessna.

Buy the '9x plane and tell Cessna you didn't buy new because they are opening that new plant in CHINA.

When did Cessna start putting the G1000 in 206's? If it were me, I'd be looking for a distressed seller with an airplane a year or two older than that. I bought my 1 year old '05 Columbia 400 with 200 hours on it for $150K less than the "market" price and WAY less than the G1000 birds when they started shipping. I was able to put 400 hours on it and get out of it, even with the melt-down, for a reasonably close to whole number.

I've owned a couple of aircraft that I flew for a year or two and actually made money on the investment by just being really patient and finding the right motivated seller. And here's a hot tip, those guys aren't usually found in Trade-a-plane.

I've owned a couple of aircraft that I flew for a year or two and actually made money on the investment by just being really patient and finding the right motivated seller. And here's a hot tip, those guys aren't usually found in Trade-a-plane.

So, where are they found?

Be Well,

Jimmy

You and I must be the lucky ones, I have owned 4 airplanes, ( 2 Certified and 2 Exp) and have made money on every one of them. Not just making the purchase price back, but paid for all the fuel, insurance, hangar rent and maintenance and put extra in my pocket. My turn around is every 12-14 months, if you keep them longer than that, they cost you money.

You and I must be the lucky ones, I have owned 4 airplanes, ( 2 Certified and 2 Exp) and have made money on every one of them. Not just making the purchase price back, but paid for all the fuel, insurance, hangar rent and maintenance and put extra in my pocket. My turn around is every 12-14 months, if you keep them longer than that, they cost you money.

I've owned 3 different aircraft that I considered investments and I'm well ahead financially on those deals. I've also owned several aircraft just because I wanted that aircraft (Pitts, Commander 115 TC, Columbia 400's) and while I can't say that I've made much money on those, they also didn't cost me much to fly them for a few years either. The Pitts I'll probably keep forever and the net result financially on that plane isn't on my radar. It pays me back in experiences and lifestyle that few things you can spend money on can.

Buy the '9x plane and tell Cessna you didn't buy new because they are opening that new plant in CHINA.

And they will laugh at you and say "So what?". Quite frankly, they don't make much money on any of the piston planes they sell. If they feel like they can make money on small planes by building them in China, more power to them. Especially if the prices come down some, which may/may not happen. Any money they do make, is on the jets.

There is a sweet CompAir 6 on Barnstormers right now. IO-540 with only 185 hrs SMOH.
Asking $128K

Last fall I was looking at a new 206 loaded up about 100k off the sticker I think it was 400ish.

You have way more headroom for negotiation on the older model than the new plane.
But if you are ever going to sell it the newer plane will be easier to sell with the G1000 and GFC700.

Back