New pilot, new forum member, hello

Another new pilot. Finished last week after 60hrs with two great CFIs. I've always been interested in flying, and living near Oshkosh, along with seemingly everyone at work being a pilot, it was inevitable. The sickness took hold last fall while flying up to Shawano for beef tips with a co-worker.

I've been lurking on the site for awhile, reading the stories, and tips for training. Very nice site.

Welcome aboard, Chris! I see you come from the speed trap on the way to OSH. ;)

Where do you work where there are so many pilots? Have you been to Iola for their weekly Friday lunch, or to the Final Approach restaurant at Sheboygan?

I'm planning on a fun day a week from tomorrow - Iola for lunch, OSH for the museum in the afternoon, and Sheboygan for dinner. Would love to meet up with you at one or all of the above. :)

Welcome aboard, Chris! I see you come from the speed trap on the way to OSH. ;)

Where do you work where there are so many pilots? Have you been to Iola for their weekly Friday lunch, or to the Final Approach restaurant at Sheboygan?

I'm planning on a fun day a week from tomorrow - Iola for lunch, OSH for the museum in the afternoon, and Sheboygan for dinner. Would love to meet up with you at one or all of the above. :)

I have not been to Iola yet, but have been to Sheboygan for a burger. There is also a breakfast run Ive wanted to do.... but can't remember the name off the top of my head.

I work at Mercury Marine as a development engineer. There must be a dozen or more pilots in the building.

Im planning on flying Monday night, but Ill see if I can get away for a flight on Friday afternoon. The check book has a bit of a err..... low cloud ceiling after this last push to get my check ride done. :D

I have not been to Iola yet, but have been to Sheboygan for a burger. There is also a breakfast run Ive wanted to do.... but can't remember the name off the top of my head.

Well, I usually don't wake up early enough for breakfast, but... ;)

Actually, Madison is a pretty popular breakfast/lunch destination on the weekends. The Jet Room there has nearly-floor-to-ceiling windows on the ramp side of the terminal so you can watch airplanes come and go, and they have excellent food with an aviation-themed menu (it's owned by a pilot). Example: Grilled cheese sandwich is called the "Piper Cub" - Probably due to the cheese and the plane being about the same color. Grilled ham and cheese? That's a Super Cub. ;) If they have it, give the Wisconsin Cheese Soup a try.

I work at Mercury Marine as a development engineer. There must be a dozen or more pilots in the building.

Cool. You fly out of Fond du Lac, I assume? Who do you rent from? (or are you one of the lucky ones who has bought an airplane?)

Im planning on flying Monday night, but Ill see if I can get away for a flight on Friday afternoon. The check book has a bit of a err..... low cloud ceiling after this last push to get my check ride done. :D

Hehe... Well, good luck finding a buck and a plane. I'm sure we'll meet sometime. :yes:

Currently renting from West Bend Air out of Fond du Lac. I almost went in on a Citabria 7ECA a couple weeks ago, but decided to wait and try a few more aircraft first. With EAA coming up again soon..... Ill be like a kid in a candy store.

Currently renting from West Bend Air out of Fond du Lac.

Hmmm... I am NOT a fan of them - I took one look at their rental agreement and went "No WAY." They treat certified pilots as if they're students...

* Flight plans required to be turned in to them and you have to notify them of any changes in plans
* MUST file for any cross-country flights
* 3000 foot paved runway minimum unless approved otherwise
* No actual IMC allowed, even if you're instrument rated, current, and proficient, unless approved at the time of flight - "Marginal VFR only" and "transiting to VFR conditions" - that's actually gotten worse since the last time I checked, they used to allow you to take off, punch up through a layer as long as the ceiling was at least 3,000 feet at both ends, and cruise on top.
* Separate night and IFR checkouts required, or night XC is limited to IR pilots
* If you have the aircraft reserved for 4 hours or more, you have to put at least 2 hours on it on weekdays, and 3 on weekends. Kiss that $100 burger flight goodbye.

That is BY FAR the most restrictive rental agreement I've ever seen, and I've rented airplanes all over the country. In fact, I think that it's so restrictive that it prevents certified pilots from improving their skills because it prevents so many possible flights. And why would anyone bother getting an instrument rating if they can't use it? :dunno:

So, I hope you're able to buy your own airplane soon, so you can join us at places like Iola (68C), 6Y9, Gaston's (3M0), etc... But I'd be happy to take you along in one of our club planes until then! :yes:

I almost went in on a Citabria 7ECA a couple weeks ago, but decided to wait and try a few more aircraft first.

Good move - Though the Citabria can be fun, I found it got uncomfortable fairly quickly on longer trips. It has some pretty bad adverse yaw, so you simply can't take your feet off the rudder pedals. Not being able to move your legs around gets pretty fatiguing and uncomfortable. But, if all you want to do is go up for an hour or two and play around, it's a great airplane. I just happen to like going places and seeing new things.

With EAA coming up again soon..... Ill be like a kid in a candy store.

As will we all! :yes:

Agreed on the rental agreement. I have to get a night check out, but I think they relaxed the rules on filing a flight plan, hours / day, and runways. (or at least the manager at Fondy doesn't really enforce them).

The plan is to use them to stay current, since it's convenient, then fly as many planes as possible from other FBOs. Watertown has a Citabria to rent, and I can get my tailwheel cert there. There is OSH and Shawano for float planes. Then a guy out of Hartford for aerobatics.

So many planes, so little time. This pilot thing is great.

Agreed on the rental agreement. I have to get a night check out, but I think they relaxed the rules on filing a flight plan, hours / day, and runways. (or at least the manager at Fondy doesn't really enforce them).

Careful... If there's an incident, and your name's on the line saying you'll follow those rules but you didn't, they can easily come after you for the cost of fixing or replacing the airplane. Sigh. :frown2:

The plan is to use them to stay current, since it's convenient, then fly as many planes as possible from other FBOs. Watertown has a Citabria to rent, and I can get my tailwheel cert there. There is OSH and Shawano for float planes. Then a guy out of Hartford for aerobatics.

And if you want to get into some really nice traveling airplanes, I'm in a kick-ass club in Madison (I live in Milwaukee). Check out the link in my signature.

So many planes, so little time. This pilot thing is great.

Amen to that! :yes:

Careful... If there's an incident, and your name's on the line saying you'll follow those rules but you didn't, they can easily come after you for the cost of fixing or replacing the airplane. Sigh. :frown2:

I did pick up a liability policy for my protection, but I will definitely re-read the rental agreement. I don't plan on breaking the rules, just for the reason of "what if". But It will probably push me into the decision of joining a club or buying a plane much sooner.

[/QUOTE]
And if you want to get into some really nice traveling airplanes, I'm in a kick-ass club in Madison (I live in Milwaukee). Check out the link in my signature.

Amen to that! :yes:[/QUOTE]

Looking at the webpage now...... Very nice :D

It's the old Lake Winnebago Municipal. Indep Muni is totally gone. Lake Winnebago is one lone runway surrounded by the City of Pleasant Hill on one side and rock excavators on the other sides. The X markings aren't even visible anymore along with the numbers, but nearly every time I fly, I fly over that place at 1000 AGL.

Flying to Miami County with one of our salesmen was what gave me the bug to learn to fly. Just last Saturday, that's where I took my Dad for his birthday for breakfast. The whole thing would have been much cooler if I didn't fly over the place by 3 miles and have to go back - even with GPS. Guess I better spend a little more time with that thing or quit relying on it.

My, oh my...you make my heart sad...reminder of the so called "good ole days" Lake Winnebago where I got to learn to fly for the cost of fuel and Greg's (most of the time gracious...:)) flight instruction.

THen there's the Independence airport...another one that bit the dust. Really hated to see both of them go! Both are in parts of town where I spent a lot of time in my younger years...some before Greg and some after Greg.

btw...Greg and I are married. I won't tell you my name until you tell me what the 3 signifies in my screen name. :idea:

This is a test...only a test...which happens to mean........NOTHING!

Back