New OTC Nasacort OK with FAA?

U

Unregistered

Nasacort Allergy 24-hr is an allergy relief nasal spray that arrived on the over-the-counter scene this year. So of course the prescription-only Flonase nasal spray I've been prescribed for allergy relief is now going up in cost in July, under my insurance plan. Nasacort is priced about the same as I have been paying for Flonase.

IIRC there was a certain allergy nasal spray that was not FAA-approved. I could be wrong on that. Is this new Nasacort as effective as Flonase and also OK with the FAA? It claims no drowsiness.

Is this new Nasacort as effective as Flonase and also OK with the FAA? It claims no drowsiness.

I don't know about the effectiveness of this treatment but I do know that if you wander over to the AOPA website and check their list of permitted medicines you will find it there. All you need is a status report... i.e., you tried it and had no adverse symptoms.

-Skip

Nasacort Allergy 24-hr is an allergy relief nasal spray that arrived on the over-the-counter scene this year. So of course the prescription-only Flonase nasal spray I've been prescribed for allergy relief is now going up in cost in July, under my insurance plan. Nasacort is priced about the same as I have been paying for Flonase.

IIRC there was a certain allergy nasal spray that was not FAA-approved. I could be wrong on that. Is this new Nasacort as effective as Flonase and also OK with the FAA? It claims no drowsiness.

If its OTC I dont believe its reportable nor an issue... and... of course Flo-nase is non-sedating and non-drowsy.. Its a steroid.

If its OTC I dont believe its reportable
Question 17a on the FAA medical application requires reporting all medications you use, both prescription and nonprescription.

As for flying with OTC Nasacort AQ, WedMD says about its side effects: "Nose/throat dryness or irritation, cough, sneezing, nosebleeds, and unpleasant taste/smell may occur." None of those sound particularly scary if they occur in the cockpit, but I think it would be prudent to take it for a couple of weeks and see what happens before flying with it. However, the good news is there are none of the warnings one sees with some drugs about driving, operating machinery, etc.

In any event, Nasacort is FAA accepted for flight deck use with a status report and no adverse side effects.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back