New Mooney Thread

Aztec Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Bryon
Thought I would add me Mooney questions in here as well.

My partner and I are looking for a decent M20J later model Mooney. I have seen and heard that some of the "missile" and "rocket" conversions may give more performance, but at a substantial maintenance cost. Do the bigger engines really have a cooling problem resulting in shorter cylinder life? Is this a very large percentage of them? What ways can combat the problem?

What kind of "average" maintenance costs can be assumed with one of these planes?

How do these compare to the M20K turbo charged models in performance and expected maintenance?

Maintenence is always going to vary from one plane to another. it will depend on your type of flying, the abuse you put it thru etc. but you know this.
I have not heard about overheating with the post C rockets conversions. I wouldnt imagine them being any more expensive than a turbo to work on. I can talk to my mech if you need specific answers, he has worked on both.

Aztec Driver said:
How do these compare to the M20K turbo charged models in performance and expected maintenance?
You really need to consider there are two K models -- the 231 and the 252/Encore. The 252 is a much better engine/airframe/turbo combination than is the 231, and the mx histories of each model bear that out.

Ken Ibold said:
You really need to consider there are two K models -- the 231 and the 252/Encore. The 252 is a much better engine/airframe/turbo combination than is the 231, and the mx histories of each model bear that out.

As do asking prices. After reading everything, I'd personally stay with the NA 201, or make the jump over the 231 to the 252. Just have your checkbook ready.

I'd also recon a good 252 to be one of the nicest airplanes you could own, new, used, or otherwise.

If you have the budget for it (both acquisition and operating), it's hard to beat a 252.

If you don't, then a J is probably the best bet. There are aftermarket turbonormalizing mods available if you NEED a turbo'ed engine.

One of the Mooney club magazines..ran a comparison between the 231 and the 252...their conclusion was that for the money a 231 with a few aftermarket mods (intercooler, Merlyn wastegate) was the better deal.

Len

Bill Jennings said:
As do asking prices. After reading everything, I'd personally stay with the NA 201, or make the jump over the 231 to the 252. Just have your checkbook ready.

I'd also recon a good 252 to be one of the nicest airplanes you could own, new, used, or otherwise.

Couldn't agree more. If you are going to buy a 231 there are three things you've gotta have: intercooler, wastegate, speed brakes.

Fast n' Furious said:
Couldn't agree more. If you are going to buy a 231 there are three things you've gotta have: intercooler, wastegate, speed brakes.
And by then you might as well have the oil stabilized Garrett wastegate, too, which is the point of the MB1B engine.

Forgot about that too. When you add up all the stuff that you need to make a 231 "as good" as a 252, you might as well just buy a 252. Not that I'm partial or nuthin......

If you have the budget for it (both acquisition and operating), it's hard to beat a 252.

If you don't, then a J is probably the best bet. There are aftermarket turbonormalizing mods available if you NEED a turbo'ed engine.

But can you put them on a certified aircraft? The K model also has a few aerodynamic tweaks over the early J and was certified for 28,000ft.

Back