New Mexico to Arizona

rcaligan

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
rcaligan
What are good strategies for flying a route between Clovis, NM (KCVN) and Glendale, AZ (KGEU)? The limitations are that it will be a normally-aspirated, single-engine airplane with no oxygen. Should I invest in a portable O2 system? Are there areas I should avoid?

You just have to weave around a couple ranges and you're golden. DA is up there, but you can stay at 10,500 or under the whole way.

DA is huge there this time of year. Leave early and do the calculations to make sure you can clear the terrain. I did it full gross in a mooney last year, But i was at service celing in no time.

Stay off the high country, load light, and you'll be OK. watch for the "Fire" TFRs

Easiest route would be to follow Interstate 40 all across NM to about Winslow, AZ, then turn southwest toward the Phoenix area. Will need to contact ABQ approach below 9500.

The earlier you can get off in the morning, the better. Performance decreases as temps get higher later in the day, plus the winds really kick up in the afternoon and the thunderstorms get going. It's very rare that weather is a factor in the morning in summertime.

Jon

The south route over Roswell and Deming is not bad, either. Below 10,000 IIRC. Just watch out for the R-areas. Occasionally they're cold, so ask ABQ center whether you can transit or not.

Back