New member introduction (long post)

Late Bloomer

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Late Bloomer
Greetings, everyone! I've been lurking here for awhile, so I decided it's finally time to introduce myself. I call myself Late Bloomer because it seems a lot of things I've done in life, I've started later than usual--joined the military late, got married late, finished college late, and now, trying to get my PP certificate.

And now, a little about me--I've been around aviation my entire life. My father has had his pilot certificate since 1950, and has had several airplanes throughout the years (L2 Taylorcraft, Champion Tri-Traveler, Fairchild 24, and a Baby Great Lakes which I helped him build). Growing up, weekends were usually spent at the airport. We'd go up for rides together frequently, though we never made any "$100 hamburger" trips. Summer vacations consisted mainly of going to Rockford or Oshkosh.

Since I was familiar with aviation, I joined the Air Force when I was 21. After a couple years, I decided to get my PP certificate. After about 15 hours or so, I felt I couldn't afford it, so I gave it up.

Fast forward about 12 years, and I'm stationed in Korea. I decided to try it again. Though I was higher in rank, it was still too expensive for me. So, it quit again.

Still interested in aviation, I finished my degree in Professional Aeronautics from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. I'm retired AF now, and I have a good job. I also completed my Master's Degree from the University of Arkansas, but it is industry-related, rather than in an aviation field.

Since I can actually afford flying now, I tried it again last spring. So I joined the local Aero Club and started flying. But something happened which I'm still struggling with: during my fifth flight, while doing ground reference maneuvers, something in my head "clicked," and I thought to myself, "You know, I really don't want to do this anymore." After landing, when I was refueling, I thought to myself "This is the last time I have to do this crap!" I was just frustrated because I felt I should be more advanced, as I have 40 hours in my logbook. But I realize now that I need to rewind, and start as a beginner again. Plus, it is a Part 141 school located on a military installation, and there is a lot of information they throw at you at once.

I told my instructor I had to take some time off to do "honey-do" projects, and I wouldn't be able to fly again until the fall or spring of 2012. Well, it was true, though I know it was also an excuse. Since that time, he was hired away by the airlines.

But since I stopped flying, every time I look in the sky and see a plane overhead, I think, "That could be me up there!" I talked it over with my wife, and she'd like to see me get my ticket. Also, my wife's girlfriend is persuing it as well, so I have a "study buddy." I also talked to my father, and he told me to do it only if I want to do it; don't do it for him. I've always wanted to fly cross country with him, and I want to do it before he gets much older (he's in his 80's now--but still in excellent health).

So, on the anniversary of the Wright Brothers flight, I joined AOPA and the EAA, along with joining a local EAA chapter. They've been very encouraging! I also found a new flight instructor, and I begin again tomorrow! I hope I can finally finish it this time.

Thanks for letting me share my story!

Last edited:
It's not how you start, it's how you finish.

Good luck with it.

And welcome aboard!

PS where in Florida???

-Rob

Bloomer - welcome to PoA!

That's some lively airspace you call home. Fir quite a while, my family and I flew from Dallas to Tallahassee, to visit wife's grandmother, and when so doing, we always received excellent service from Eglin Aproach - and darned well needed it! Now, Granny's moved from TLH to Houston (she turns 105 next month...), so Tallahassee and the Florida panhandle are not so much in our plans. But enough of that.

Your concern about progress is a little harsh on yourself, given how your hours have been spread out. If you have the urge, you should try to find an instructor who can fly with you three or our times a week - then see how things go. You may well feel a much greater sense of accomplishment with faster progress, since you will lose less between lessons.

Keep us apprised of your progress, too. Lot of good advice here, and the price is very low, too.

Welcome to POA late bloomer. I didn't start till my late 30s. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Like my user ID indicates, I took my first airplane ride when I was 9 years old. When I was 13 I joined Civil Air Patrol. There, I spent my Saturdays at the airport doing chores around the headquarters building hoping a Senior Member would tag me for a ride. I started taking formal lessons when I was 16 years old and soloed at 17 (with 10 hours dual). I spent the next year in substandard programs until, ultimately, I enlisted in the Air Force without my PPL in my pocket. I flew infrequently for the next 12 years until I was stationed at Plattsburgh AFB, NY. There, I hooked up with a great instructor, JoAnn Segretto. She got me over the finish line in about 6 months. It would have been sooner if the weather had cooperated. The moral? Don't ever give up! Some day you'll look in the mirror and there will be a Private Pilot looking back at you. Is it all worth it? You bet it is!!!!

Welcome aboard!

I peruse things quickly, so I might have missed it, but how old are you?

I too have been a late bloomer throughout life. I went in the Army at 19, so I wasn't off on that one, but I was married at 25, graduated college at 31, first child at 30, started flight training at 41, quit for quite awhile then got my PPL at 62.

You're only as old as you think you are.

Late Bloomer,

I used to have a boat docked on Okaloosa Island, know that area pretty well. I have a condo in Panama City so we will have to try and hookup at some point when I head over that way. Only two XC's left for me before checkride time and I'll be flying over there whenever I'm off work for a little vaca.

Nice area to fly around!

Oh watch out for the drone testing areas :eek:

-Rob

Welcome! Late Bloomer!

I say better late than never. I'm starting my flight training in my 40's as well. I guess this is our midlife crisis kicking in. I live in Florida as well, (Tampa Bay area). Let me know if I can help out in any way!

Thanks!

Back