NEW LSA Limitation Changes

Stache

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Stache
I just finished a training course on Light-Sport Aircraft certification in Oklahoma City this past week for DAR’s and FAA Inspectors. There is going to be some new changes coming out in the next three weeks as it applies to the phase 1 & 2 limitations.

I have written up the new limitations and will add those to my web site in the near future.

There are six classes of light sport aircraft and depending on your LSA it will be certificated to one of the following rules (FAR):

21.191(i)(1) Part 103 (Fat) ultralights (consensus standard and statement of compliance is not required) cut off date for certification 01/01/2008.

21.191(i)(2) Kit Built meets consensus standard (needs statement of compliance). Evidence that an aircraft of the same make and model was manufactured and assembled by the aircraft kit manufacturer and issued a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category.

21.191(i)(3) SLSA to ELSA (needs statement of compliance) Safety directive are mandatory. The aircraft must not have been previously issued a standard, primary, restricted, limited, or provisional airworthiness certificate, or an equivalent airworthiness certificate issued by a foreign civil aviation authority.

The standard for maintenance and maintenance manuals is the ONE standard that applies at all classes.

The LSA maintenance manual shall have the following sections:
1. General Listing of general specifications, capacities and instructions on ground handling, servicing lubrication such as:
· Equipment list
· Sources to purchase parts
· List of disposable replacement parts; e.g. air filters, fuel filters, oil filters, and tires
· Engine specifications
· Weight and Balance information
· Tire inflation pressures
· Approved oils and capacities
· Recommended fastener torque values
· General safety information
· Instructions for reporting possible
. Safety of flight concerns found during inspection /maintenance

Stache

The FAA has posted FAA Order 8130.2F Change 2 on their web site dated 07/10/2006. I have the new limitaitons for Light-Sport written and will be posting them on my personal web site this weekend. You can find Light-Sport and other data at http://www.stacheair.com.

Stache

Back