New Jersey: The Woosie State

dmccormack

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dan Mc
New Jersey: The Woossie State

From the Newark Star Ledger:

Hundreds of times a day, they play chicken at Teterboro Airport. Coming and going, planes tickle the leaves on neighborhood trees, frighten drivers on nearby roads and shake homes with the engine thunder.
The Federal Aviation Administration says the airport, tucked among Bergen County homes and schools and businesses and beneath some of the nation's most congested skies, is 56th busiest in the nation -- a shocking ranking for such a small facility.
And it's one of the most dangerous: Teterboro had the sixth-highest number of serious close calls from 2000-2007 - more than sprawling big-city facilities in Boston and Philadelphia and elsewhere that, unlike Teterboro, serve commercial airlines.
The Federal Aviation Administration statistics only reinforce what New Jersey already knows: The 827-acre plot, carved into a densely populated area and the site of several high-profile crashes, is no place for such a busy airport.
The rest of the weak-wristed bile is found here.

:sosp:

Last edited:
From the Newark Star Ledger:

The rest of the weak-wristed bile is found here.

:sosp:

Pretty amazing how they packaged up enough parcels of land to jam an 827 acre airport amongst all thoses homes, schools and businesses way back in the 1920s, huh. :rolleyes:

Trapper John

"Even with a 25 percent reduction in total airport traffic over the past decade and a 41 percent reduction in night activity, Teterboro still tempts fate. Opened in 1919, it was built as a sleepy-town airstrip for small planes and crop dusters. Today, it's a busy jetport -- with no buffer -- wedged into dense North Jersey communities."

1919 mmmmm boy they sure " wedged" that airport in there. Ya think perhaps the " North Jersey communities are "crowding out" the airport. they must have really wedged it in there in 1919. Man they close TEB and Newark, JFK and Laguardia are gonna be screwed.

Then the article states "...He never would have made it. Luckily, he plopped the plane into the Hudson River, saving the lives of everyone on board." referring to Sullenberger's ditching in the Hudson. LUCKILY LUCKILY? How about intelligently and skillfully. There was no luck about that it was Sully experience and skill.

This article has to be one of the worst hatchet jobs I have ever seen.

Last edited:
I've heard the folks at TEB don't enjoy catering to the likes of us piston-drivers, so as fara s I'm concerned they can have all the trouble their local inept journalists can muster.

:rolleyes2:

Can anyone explain what this paragraph has to do with the point of the article, other than to enhance the aura of menace?

"Teterboro probably avoided a major catastrophe when Flight 1549 pilot Chesley Sullenberger decided against the original suggestion from air traffic controllers to fly his damaged plane to Teterboro. He never would have made it. Luckily, he plopped the plane into the Hudson River, saving the lives of everyone on board."

I'd say every location in the area within gliding distance avoided a major catastrophe... but of course, had he tried for KTEB and crashed there, that would mean KTEB was inherently dangerous, somehow. :dunno:

And let's say they were a little higher and farther NW when the engines failed, and couldn't make the river... without KTEB there, it would have probably gone down in a heavily-populated area.

This bird-cage liner is merely following in the footsteps of institutions like the NY Times and political hacks in aggrandizing it's own self-importance by raising a shrill voice to "problems" like this, then offering a solution.

I'm thinking the author likes General Aviation. A lot. You know, goes and hangs out at the airport on Saturday mornings, all that jazz.

Thank goodness that the people that read that cat box liner of an article are responding in a cogent manner. Read the posted comments. Very good!! Hopefully the editorial board reads the comments too.

I'd say every location in the area within gliding distance avoided a major catastrophe... but of course, had he tried for KTEB and crashed there, that would mean KTEB was inherently dangerous, somehow. :dunno:

And let's say they were a little higher and farther NW when the engines failed, and couldn't make the river... without KTEB there, it would have probably gone down in a heavily-populated area.

Exactly right.

Some in NJ are wussies -- present company excepted.

:thumbsup:

forgive my noobyness.
Are there threads discussing opinions of flight schools in Northern NJ?I tried searching, but was surprised to not find anything obviously labeled as such.

This is the year I'm going to jump on board!

Thanks and regards,
Mason

I wonder, maybe the neighborhood trees LIKE having their leaves tickled?

Heard? Well I have been there a half dozen or more times...treated very well every single time...

I've heard the folks at TEB don't enjoy catering to the likes of us piston-drivers, so as fara s I'm concerned they can have all the trouble their local inept journalists can muster.

forgive my noobyness.
Are there threads discussing opinions of flight schools in Northern NJ?I tried searching, but was surprised to not find anything obviously labeled as such.

Welcome aboard Macemace. Your best bet is to post a new thread in Pilot Training,

forgive my noobyness.

Thanks and regards,
Mason

1) Never reply to a thread if your intention is to ask/state something unrelated to what is already in that thread.:nono:

2) If you do choose to reply to an existing thread, take a look at the date of what you're replying to... you replied to a 4 year old thread, which is rarely productive.:nono:

3) If you post this question as a new thread, in the Pilot Training board, you'll probably receive helpful input.:yes:

forgive my noobyness.

Thanks and regards,
Mason

There are several at nearby Caldwell and Morristown airports.

I've only been into TEB a few times and I've never found them to be particularly hostile. It's a busy place but I've seen worse airports that don't have a tenth of the traffic.

Back