New IR student- what's your best IR tip?

Get a pretty good computer set up with MS Flight simulator and a yoke. It will pay for itself in one or 2 flights.

I still use mine to review procedures between practice flights.

Another tip that I really appreciated someone giving me when I first got my IR is to file your IFR plans on fltplan.com. The best part is you get your clearance before the flight, so you have it written down and ready to go before you get it read to you over the air. It can be sent via text message or email. As a new IR pilot trying to copy a clearance in an unknown area on a busy frequency where the clearance is complicated, it is SO incredibly useful to have "cheated" and have the clearance already written down. They can change it up a little but usually not much.

Is THAT why everyone uses that god-awful website?! Now I finally know. 'Cause it's FUGLY. ;)

:rofl:

It IS fugly, but it works really well. I do agree they need to fix it up.

train on a g1000. it' way easier.

Know a guy who just did that in an aircraft the owner wouldn't allow the AHRS or any other breakers to be pulled as "simulated failures"... he said all they could do was turn the dimmer down on the PFD on his check ride with the DPE.

(And he admitted he could still see everything on it while simulating flying in the mode where only the right side panel was operative.)

Talk about cheating. :) Yeah, I'd say from his descriptions his check ride was ridiculously easy. Did he learn to fly instruments? Only he knows...

:rofl:

It IS fugly, but it works really well. I do agree they need to fix it up.

Agreed...the website does stink. The good news is that once you're set up thru Fltplan.com for email notifications to receive the probable IFR routing, when you file a flight plan using Foreflight, you will also get the same routing email notification (generated thru Fltplan.com).

Try it...you'll like it...

Tom

Agreed...the website does stink. The good news is that once you're set up thru Fltplan.com for email notifications to receive the probable IFR routing, when you file a flight plan using Foreflight, you will also get the same routing email notification (generated thru Fltplan.com).

Try it...you'll like it...

Tom

How does fltplan know that's your fltplan? Do you setup rules to look for tail number and email to you or does it spam you with anything it thinks you're interested in?

How does fltplan know that's your fltplan? Do you setup rules to look for tail number and email to you or does it spam you with anything it thinks you're interested in?

A good question...and one I can't really answer for sure...

I Initially set up my profile in Fltplan.com (which indludes the tail numbers of the planes i fly). I subsequently filed several flight plans and got the really helpful email from "Info@FltPlan.com" with the routing spelled out.

A few weeks later, I filed a fight plan directly from my iPad ForeFlight app and was surprised to see an email 10 minutes later from the same Info@FltPlan.com with the expected routing.

Never any spam...

My assumption is that somehow FltPlan looks for tail numbers of flight plans filed/routings assigned with the FAA, and sends the info out to registered users of FltPlan.com. They can't tell if the flight plan was filed thru them or another on line source.

One thing I like about using ForeFlight is that when you file the flight plan it immediately sends you an email confirming the flight plan got filed, and also sends a separate email with the full standard weather briefing. This gives you an electronic copy of the briefing you can refer to in flight if you need to.

Tom

Yeah already knew about the briefing e-mail follow-up feature of Foreflight. Like that very much.

Didn't know fltplan scans for your tail number. That's nifty. Wonder if there's some poor soul getting spammed every time his favorite rental aircraft files? Ha. Maybe more info has to match?

Add Jesse's Weight and Balance App (which also can send a courtesy e-mail) and you have a nice record of all your pre-flight stuff.

Back