New iPad

jssaylor2007

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
jssaylor2007
I got the new iPad today and I'm really liking it I haven't really noticed a huge difference between it and iPad 2 except it might be a tad bit faster but I'm sure I'll notice whenever we get to an area that has 4G did anyone else get one?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?lo52jk

I got the new iPad today and I'm really liking it I haven't really noticed a huge difference between it and iPad 2 except it might be a tad bit faster but I'm sure I'll notice whenever we get to an area that has 4G did anyone else get one?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?lo52jk

I upgraded from an iPad 1... Huge difference in speed, and the display is quite simply OMG WOW on text. Zero pixelation, like high quality offset printing. I'll post side by side comparisons later.

Oh, and just noticed that Foreflight is in the Top 25 highest grossing iPad apps!

470e806b-f394-2bb9.jpg

I upgraded from an iPad 1... Huge difference in speed, and the display is quite simply OMG WOW on text. Zero pixelation, like high quality offset printing. I'll post side by side comparisons later.

Oh, and just noticed that Foreflight is in the Top 25 highest grossing iPad apps!

Really? Then I'd say they charge too much!

Jepp has an App though. It's way higher than FF or WingX...

I have Jepp TC and Jepp FD on my iPad. I do not pay though, my company does. Jepp TC (terminal charts) works awesome. Jepp charts, iPad...what could go wrong.

Jepp FD (flight deck), however, isn't so great. It ties into the Jepp TC so it views charts just like TC, but adds mapping. Let's just say for enroute charts Jepp FD doesn't even enter the compitition. Foreflight and WingX both blow Jepp FD away.

Really? Then I'd say they charge too much!

I am assuming that you are joking. Foreflight is a good value.

Beyond that, as someone who spent 20 years in many different areas of the niche HMI software industry, I can tell you that most people have no idea how expen$ive it is to develop good software applications.

I've spoken with one of the principals at FF and understand that they are doing well, but it's not as if they just get up in the morning and harvest the gold nuggets off the floor.

I fully expect that they are among the top grossing because they are selling an app that is among the higher priced of those available. Due to the extensiveness of the app it takes a lot more investment to develop it and their market is relatively small. Most apps are relatively simple things to develop but they are not limited to pilots as their market.

In some cases apps might be as extensive, but they are cheaper because their market is so big, so they get to amortize development costs across a much higher quantity of licenses sold.

I received a new iPad today. It's my first iPad.

It seems to already be compatible with Foreflight and Bad Elf GPS.

It seems to not be compatible with PilotFAR (which shows a table of contents, but none of the pages from the FAR). Reviews on iTunes claim that WingX is not yet compatible. Since the new iPad has been released only since Friday, perhaps some of these compatibility problems will be fixed soon.

For kneeboards, the only one that I found that already claims to be compatible with the new iPad is the iPad Kneeboard Pro C, so I ordered their version that is specifically intended to fit the "iPad3".

HD videos from UND Aerocast look great on the retina display.

470e806b-f394-2bb9.jpg

Looks like quite a few of the top grossing apps are free. I wonder how that algorithm works?

By the way Saylor, there won't be room for that IPad in the cockpit of your Air Tractor!:D

Garmin has an app? Do tell...

Garmin has an iPad/iPhone app called Pilot My-Cast. Not as nice as ForeFlight, but it works. I pay the $10/month when I am going on a long trip to have a backup set of charts for ForeFlight. I have completely converted over to paperless and I like being able to view the charts using to two different apps on both my iPad and iPhone. I have had a ForeFlight mid-cycle update cause problems for me on a trip, so I pay Garmin the $10 to make sure I have another option.

Ryan

I forgot about Pilot MyCast. Early versions of that thing weren't even what I'd call "releaseable" software. Awful. Haven't looked at it since.

Garmin has an iPad/iPhone app called Pilot My-Cast. Not as nice as ForeFlight, but it works. I pay the $10/month when I am going on a long trip to have a backup set of charts for ForeFlight. I have completely converted over to paperless and I like being able to view the charts using to two different apps on both my iPad and iPhone. I have had a ForeFlight mid-cycle update cause problems for me on a trip, so I pay Garmin the $10 to make sure I have another option.

Ryan

Or you could pay $20 once for Skycharts Pro, have unlimited updates and an app that doesn't suck, while supporting independent developers :)

Ryan

You piqued my curiosity Ryan. You said you had a mid flight update. Are you using 3G connection with a subscription?

The reason I ask is that I have a 3G + Wifi, but I don't have a cellular subscription. I just download things including weather at the airport before flight, via wifi.

So I'm just curious if the midflight update was due to cellular connection.

You piqued my curiosity Ryan. You said you had a mid flight update.

I think he said a mid chart CYCLE update as in one that wasn't a full chart series prate at the regular interval.

You piqued my curiosity Ryan. You said you had a mid flight update. Are you using 3G connection with a subscription?

The reason I ask is that I have a 3G + Wifi, but I don't have a cellular subscription. I just download things including weather at the airport before flight, via wifi.

So I'm just curious if the midflight update was due to cellular connection.

I had a mid-cycle update that gave me a small problem. I preflighted my iPad at home and had everything ready to go. Later that day, when I was at the FBO getting ready to depart, I turned on the wifi connection in order to get the latest weather updates into FF. When FF connected to the internet, there was a mid-cycle update available for the airport database. Based on what I read on the FF blog, this update was to fix a problem with airport data at an airport in Canada, so I didn't take the time to download the update on the FBO's slow wifi connection. However, by not having the latest airport database, georeferencing feature for approach plates was turned off. Not just for the Canadian airport with the changes, but for all approach plates. When I got to the hotel after my flight, I downloaded the update and georeferencing worked again. Having georeferenced approach plates isn't required, just a nice to have. However, it made me realize that a software issue is more likely to happen than having a HW failure on my iPad and iPhone at the same time. A software issue could take out both devices, so I now like to have a solution from two different app companies. I am still a big fan of FF, but I also have a plan B.

Ryan

Thanks for taking the time to write the explanation Ryan!

I fly with FF on both my IPad and IPhone and a chart and finger close at hand. I want to learn as much as I can about the different ways that FF can puke in midflight. I stay up with the chart while I fly, but I don't look forward to the day that I lose FF altogether.

Murphey says that if this happens it will be at the worst possible time, like while at the edge of Class B or with lowered visibility.

Thanks again,

I had a mid-cycle update that gave me a small problem. I preflighted my iPad at home and had everything ready to go. Later that day, when I was at the FBO getting ready to depart, I turned on the wifi connection in order to get the latest weather updates into FF. When FF connected to the internet, there was a mid-cycle update available for the airport database. Based on what I read on the FF blog, this update was to fix a problem with airport data at an airport in Canada, so I didn't take the time to download the update on the FBO's slow wifi connection. However, by not having the latest airport database, georeferencing feature for approach plates was turned off. Not just for the Canadian airport with the changes, but for all approach plates. When I got to the hotel after my flight, I downloaded the update and georeferencing worked again. Having georeferenced approach plates isn't required, just a nice to have. However, it made me realize that a software issue is more likely to happen than having a HW failure on my iPad and iPhone at the same time. A software issue could take out both devices, so I now like to have a solution from two different app companies. I am still a big fan of FF, but I also have a plan B.

Ryan

That sounds like a "bug" worth reporting; hope you did!

I haven't noticed it being hot, running either ForeFlight or Real Racing 2 HD.
There's no question that the iPad 3 will run hotter than the 2. It's got the same battery life but about 50% more battery capacity. That energy has got to come out as heat except for the tiny, tiny fraction that's emitted as visible light and RF.

There's no question that the iPad 3 will run hotter than the 2. It's got the same battery life but about 50% more battery capacity. That energy has got to come out as heat except for the tiny, tiny fraction that's emitted as visible light and RF.

It will run hotter... if you run it in a way that it needs to draw more power than the old one (intense GPU activity, for example). If you're using it the way you used to use it (same current draw as before), it shouldn't run much hotter, right? I'm running the same apps I used to, and I rarely run my display on full bright. Haven't noticed any increase in heat. Better battery life, though!

Don't forget that there was a Foreflight update (for example) that took advantage of the higher resolution, so you can't depend on old usage patterns to guarantee extended battery life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It will run hotter... if you run it in a way that it needs to draw more power than the old one (intense GPU activity, for example). If you're using it the way you used to use it (same current draw as before), it shouldn't run much hotter, right? I'm running the same apps I used to, and I rarely run my display on full bright. Haven't noticed any increase in heat. Better battery life, though!
I suspect that you will have very little control over the iPad's power consumption other than the backlight intensity/power (which probably isn't any different than the iPad2 backlight). If you're getting 50% more battery life then your power dissipation is likely very similar to the iPad 2 but if it's less than that I think you're running hotter. I would agree however that if most of the power increase is due to the dual graphics controllers, a static display ought to run about the same temp as before.

I was running an iPad 1 before, not sure if that makes any difference.... skipped right over the 2.

Back