New IFR Student - Book Question

kjwalker01

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Keith
I'm getting back into flying after a 12-year absence and have decided to go straight into instrument training. I had my PPL for about 6 months before stopping and have less than 100 total hours.

One of the books that I purchased back then was the 2001 edition of the blue/gray Jeppesen Instrument Commercial Manual. I'm curious as to opinions of whether I should just chuck it, or use it selectively?

My thought is that the weather section is probably about the same, as are the sections on aerodynamics. I'd probably ignore anything having to do with regulations and charts. What about procedures? I've decided to train with steam gauges, then transition to glass later, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!

There's nothing detrimental about that Jepp book but frankly, I think it sucks compared to what else is out there.

For the nuts and bolts of actually FLYING IFR, Peter Dogan's book is the best one out there. For general IFR knowledge (and getting geared up for the written, etc..) there are a number of decent ones out there as an alternative to the Jepp one: Bob Gardner (bobmrg here I believe) The Complete Advanced Pilot isn't bad. Bill Kershner's Instrument Flight Manual may be a little dated (he died in 2007) but the fundamental information is sound and well presented. Another good one is Trevor Thom's Instrument Flying.

Of course when it comes to drill and kill for the written, it's hard to beat Irwin Gleim (either the REDBOOK or as I prefer, his software which I believe is stilt he BEST on the market).

Go to www.faa.gov and download the FREE instrument flying handbook. It's concise and does a great job telling you what you need for the test. It's a large PDF file. If you have an iPad, you can save it to iBooks by clicking in the top right corner and you can read it anytime you like.

Go to www.faa.gov and download the FREE instrument flying handbook. It's concise and does a great job telling you what you need for the test. It's a large PDF file. If you have an iPad, you can save it to iBooks by clicking in the top right corner and you can read it anytime you like.

:yeahthat: It has what you need and is vastly improved over the older versions.

If you're already an instrument-rated pilot, you probably know the basics, but the Instrument Procedures Handbook would be most useful in getting you up to speed on the changes in charts and procedures.
http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/instrument_procedures_handbook/
Note that the latest available edition of Peter Dogan's Instrument Flight Training Manual does not address modern avionics (glass and GPS). We're working on that, but it will be quite some time until the next edition hits the street -- first priority is updating the 10-day course manual.

However, since you're looking to start IR training, I'd suggest Bob Gardner's Complete Advanced Pilot for the ground side, and then Dogan's book for use during flight training.

Last edited:
I really like the Peter Dogan book. I'd like to put in a word for Richard Collins' Flying IFR. The two are complementary, with the Collins' book serving as background for Dogan's. Neither of these address, or even mention, GPS. Garmin makes a good manual and set of tutorials for the GNS 400 and 500 series, as well as a very good desktop trainer. If your aircraft has a different GPS, the other manufacturers also have good training aids. Together, Peter and Richard will tell you how to use an airplane for transportation. For more detail on meteorology, Collins' Flying the Weather Map is good.

I appreciate the replies and recommendations. Ended up taking my first flight in 12 years today. Nice to be back in the cockpit. Overall, it went well, but boy am I rusty on the radios!

I appreciate the replies and recommendations. Ended up taking my first flight in 12 years today. Nice to be back in the cockpit. Overall, it went well, but boy am I rusty on the radios!

Completely understandable. I took 5 years off from flying to get finances in order and I completely forgot the basics of a sectional when I got back into it. I can't imagine how rusty I'd be after 12 years. Thankfully it didn't take long to get back in the saddle and I imagine the same will be true for you.

Just spend a few months living and breathing aviation and you'll be back in business in no time.

Last edited:
I just helped a gentleman who hadn't been in the cockpit for 40 years. It all came back surprisingly quickly and now he's flying weekly with his wife, exploring new destinations. Enjoy being back in the air!

I also have that book, but from a circa 1990 instrument ground school. I started back last yr after a 20 yr layoff. I used the FAA books primarily, but there were a few times I pulled out the Jeppesen book to see how it explained something I was struggling with. I wouldn't chuck it, but I wouldn't rely totally on it either.

Back