New IFR Hood - Icarus

It's not new either. I've seen something similar with a remote box and you can switch them on and off. I can't find them now but I know I've seen them for sale.

Either way, waste of money, foggles aren't hard to take on/off and really all you need to do is look up.

Points for spirit of entrepreneurship and innovation. But already a very crowded market with successful solutions that don't require batteries and are less than 10% of their proposed selling price.

I can definitely see some benefit of training with me (as the CFI) being able to turn them on and off at particularly inopportune times. Say, halfway down an ILS turn them off. Then once the student stops following the needles, turn it back on and see what happens. Or turn it off at MDA then back on if they balloon back up. Or in the middle of a circling manuever!

But, the entry price at this time is prohibitive compared to the vastly cheaper options (like the $10 safety glasses from Lowe's). Hopefully with time this will come down.

I can definitely see some benefit of training with me (as the CFI) being able to turn them on and off at particularly inopportune times. Say, halfway down an ILS turn them off. Then once the student stops following the needles, turn it back on and see what happens. Or turn it off at MDA then back on if they balloon back up. Or in the middle of a circling manuever!

But, the entry price at this time is prohibitive compared to the vastly cheaper options (like the $10 safety glasses from Lowe's). Hopefully with time this will come down.

Turning them on and off as you suggest.... I don't know... while a possible realistic scenario, the old risk management side of me sees potential bad things happening because the student doesn't handle the surprise very well.

Now, however, if he wants to cover the entire lens with the material, then make them go completely and utterly black at the first sign of peril, then he'd have a market for the sci-fi con crowd under the Joo Janta 200 SuperChromatic brand.

A solution in search of a problem.
Their sponsor should have at least donated a good mike because parts of the video sound like they were recorded in the bathroom on a can. :)

Turning them on and off as you suggest.... I don't know... while a possible realistic scenario, the old risk management side of me sees potential bad things happening because the student doesn't handle the surprise very well.

Well, it wouldn't be the first lesson, of course! :D But I can see it being a great test as they get to the end of training. I don't see it being any different risk-wise than the many other things a CFI faces every day.

However, it would be far better if they could make it dimmable instead of just on/off. Things start to lighten up, the student starts to look outside, but then it gets dark again. Yeah, it's not perfect, and certainly I don't want it to occupy a bunch of attention on the CFI's part making it dim, but I can see some training scenarios based around this idea.

But the whole idea, while interesting, is a small benefit for a large cost.

I'll stick to Jepp shades or the lamp shade.
I fail to see how this has any training value
lampshade-on-head-office-party-business-clothes-200.jpg

I fail to see how this has any training value
lampshade-on-head-office-party-business-clothes-200.jpg
For my BFR last week the only thing handy was the old-school Jepp hood I used during my instrument training in 1969. Those things weren't designed for use with headsets, apparently. :no:

The lampshade, though, would have fit in at our office party a couple of weeks ago.

:goofy:

Sounds like replacing something simple and effective with something complex and prone to malfunction.

Jaybird, no wonder your so fun at parties :D

Sorry, this looks like a waste of money. It's basically just normal safety glasses foggles with the ability to turn them off and on.

The real best way to simulate this sort of thing would be to use polarized filters on the windows and then wear a pair of glasses that turns polarization on and off, which would allow full interior visuals but block any view outside (unless you tilt your head sideways). This approach is not without its issues though since:

1) Not sure what the regs are on putting polarized filters on aircraft windscreens, and
2) The polarizing glasses would mess up ones ability to view LCD screens in the cockpit

Now, however, if he wants to cover the entire lens with the material, then make them go completely and utterly black at the first sign of peril, then he'd have a market for the sci-fi con crowd under the Joo Janta 200 SuperChromatic brand.

Peril sensitive sunglasses?

He'd have to become President of the Galaxy first. And buy a pair for each head.

The old version I was taking about was, if memory serves, $100. I can't find them for sale anywhere now. Safe to assume they were discontinued.

Won't sell at $100, guessing they won't sell much better at $300...

Peril sensitive sunglasses?

He'd have to become President of the Galaxy first. And buy a pair for each head.

We could always offer them as the "bonus" item when FF 7.6 rolls out with the latest and greatest feature and they increase the price by $10.00

So, like the original Icarus, they are trying to fly to high and may plunge into the sea?

How poetic for a fabulous waste of money.

Pretty cool idea, not sure how many people you'll find to pay $300-$400 for hood/foggles though...

Supportive family members.....

Interesting use of tech, but I wouldn't anticipate people replacing their $10 foggles with $300 ones. He's trying to spin these as a safety device that "will reduce accidents caused by spatial disorientation." A little bit of a snake oil salesman with comments like that.

Here's the best IFR hood solution available -

baseball-hat-and-ball-clipart-dc85XBjbi.png

• Comparable price point to competitor Foggles
  • Comes in an assortment of styles and colors
  • IMC/VFR switch enabled; to turn on pull bill down, to turn off push bill up
  • Requires no batteries
  • Can wear when not flying

Hope I saved someone $300.....

Supportive family members.....

Interesting use of tech, but I wouldn't anticipate people replacing their $10 foggles with $300 ones. He's trying to spin these as a safety device that "will reduce accidents caused by spatial disorientation." A little bit of a snake oil salesman with comments like that.

Here's the best IFR hood solution available -

baseball-hat-and-ball-clipart-dc85XBjbi.png

• Comparable price point to competitor Foggles
  • Comes in an assortment of styles and colors
  • IMC/VFR switch enabled; to turn on pull bill down, to turn off push bill up
  • Requires no batteries
  • Can wear when not flying

Hope I saved someone $300.....

Design flaw. Needs the top button removed.

Those hurt when you bounce your head off of ceiling or canopy... :)

Design flaw. Needs the top button removed.

Those hurt when you bounce your head off of ceiling or canopy... :)

Top button.. heehee... who cares when using Halo or Clarity Aloft?

If you're getting close the canopy they have these nifty shoulder harnesses and lap belts that will keep your meat in the seat.

:goofy:

I am using my el cheapo ASA Jiffy Hood that I bought during my PPL training. Less money spent is better to have more to complete training and fly.

Old thread bump but I see they’re starting to sell these now. $1,000 airplane and $1,500 helicopter. Anyone think this is truly a game changer in training for IIMC?
https://icarusdevices-buy.com/

Wow, it sure is an expensive view-limiting device. Can't say I personally see the value there, but that's just me.

For all their warts, "foggles" or a simple plastic hood basically do a pretty good job for most instrument training needs.

The point of these is that they're variable, not on/off like foggles, so you can simulate low visibility. I believe they are primarily aimed at helo pilots who routinely fly in mvfr.

Please invent pliers so that we can remove the buttons from baseball caps

I would pay for that. The only good hat I have for flying is an old AOPA cap sans button and it is getting a bit.... sweat stained and nasty. I like it, but I am no longer allowed to wear it in the house.

If I could buy @GeorgeC 's De-buttoner 2000 (TM) I would be able to de-button about 50 of the other free hats sitting on a shelf in my closet.

Thought he cancelld the kickstarter campaign back in 2015? Wonder who’s finding it now?

Old posts, I know. But that button is called a squatchee (or a squatcho in some circles). Many caps with aviation themes (AOPA caps, etc.) are sans squatchee.

you're welcome! ;)

Sans-squatchee sounds like something cancel culture needs to look into. LOL

I would pay for that. The only good hat I have for flying is an old AOPA cap sans button and it is getting a bit.... sweat stained and nasty. I like it, but I am no longer allowed to wear it in the house.

If I could buy @GeorgeC 's De-buttoner 2000 (TM) I would be able to de-button about 50 of the other free hats sitting on a shelf in my closet.
After many nights of long hours I have managed to work up a prototype. Here is a picture of it. I just need another $25000 for beta product.
843221000431.jpg

Back