New Here! Need help!!

BrandonPaith

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BrandonPaith
Hello everyone!! I am new here and am wanting to get to start getting my pilots license. I have no experience in flying full-size aircraft, but have a number of years flying RC aircraft, so I at least have 'some' principles of flight in my head.

My question becomes, I am having a 'very' hard time finding various agencies in my area (Kansas City, MO). I google some, and find a few, however I have no idea if they are reputable and good. Is there any sort of website out there that people can grade flight schools?? Also, I found one website that "guarantees" I can get my license for under $5500. (www.kcflight.com), however, a lot of their information (judging by the posts on teh home page) appear to be very old, so I am not sure if they are even in business still.

I have not called any place yet, and like most things, I like to do a bit of research to know which questions to ask!

Final question, if you're in the KC area, please let me know what flight school you chose, and any tips for getting started down a correct path! Thanks!!

-Brandon.

There are a few red flags in that website. I don't see any use of the word "guarantee," so maybe I've missed it. Their budget assumes 45 hours, which is not very realistic. They claim "modern avionics," which is irrelevant (you fly the plane, not the panel, and late-model avionics can dramatically increase costs). Most of the photos on the website are clearly not their aircraft -- one has a 3-blade constant speed prop, and another has a Canadian registration, for instance. But they only list a Cessna 152 and 172 available. They seem to want block rates, essentially "use it or lose it," so if you gain some weight and can't fly a 152 anymore or you discover a disqualifying medical condition, you're probably SOL. More importantly, schools do abruptly go out of business on occasion -- and then you're seriously SOL -- so it's not a good idea to pay up front (at least, not very much).

But you can call them and make your own judgment. The only way to really tell for sure is to try out their aircraft and their instructor in a "discovery flight." I'd be a bit skeptical. The stuff they are doing isn't really all that unusual, but it's a bit misleading.

Keep in mind that you may not be able to train in a 152 if you weigh much over 200 lb or if you're much taller than 6 feet. I like to compare a 172 to four folding chairs. A 152 is more like two of them with the legs cut off.

You can find what businesses are available through airnav.com or aopa.org. I don't know if it's visible to nonmembers (but you can try), but Olathe, KS seems to be of interest. Here's a local airport: http://www.aopa.org/airports/KIXD . Scroll down to the "business information" and you'll find three different outfits that are offering flight training.

Last edited:
Final question, if you're in the KC area, please let me know what flight school you chose, and any tips for getting started down a correct path! Thanks!!

-Brandon.

Brandon, head on over to the Purple Board and ask your question there.

www.purpleboard.net/

There are a lot of KC guys there, me included, and I am sure they can help you.

Specifically, look up ja_user. He is a freelance CFI in the KC area that does a good job.

BTW, where do you live? I am in Lee's Summit.

Find an old instructor on your own. I would recommend you buy your own small plane, but if you can't swing it, try a partner deal. If not, you can rent through the CFI somewhere.

Stay away from any place that wants you to pay up front in a large single payment. That's a good way to lose money quickly.

Welcome to POA.

Brandon, head on over to the Purple Board and ask your question there.

www.purpleboard.net/

There are a lot of KC guys there, me included, and I am sure they can help you.

Specifically, look up ja_user. He is a freelance CFI in the KC area that does a good job.

BTW, where do you live? I am in Lee's Summit.

Greg! Thanks for all the information. I currently live up in North KC. Right at 152 and North Oak. I will head over to that website shortly and look for him!! I'm actually in Lee's Summit quite frequently as my parents live in Pleasant Hill and I work in Overland Park! Would love to know more about what you fly!!

To everyone else....thanks for the warm welcome and all the advice. Ill make some phone calls in the AM.

Are there any specific questions I should ask? Also are the freelance CFIs a good way to go?!

Brandon, I grew up and graduated HS in Harrisonville. I have a Cessna 195 in a hangar in Harrisonville. I fly a 777 for UAL as a "day" job. Would love to meet you.

Greg

Oh, BTW, the purple people get together on a fairly regular basis for lunch at one or two airports around. It would be good to see you at one.\

If I were getting my license again I would look for a club or partnership and own a plane. These are the best and cheapest ways to fly.

Hello everyone!! I am new here and am wanting to get to start getting my pilots license. I have no experience in flying full-size aircraft, but have a number of years flying RC aircraft, so I at least have 'some' principles of flight in my head.

My question becomes, I am having a 'very' hard time finding various agencies in my area (Kansas City, MO). I google some, and find a few, however I have no idea if they are reputable and good. Is there any sort of website out there that people can grade flight schools?? Also, I found one website that "guarantees" I can get my license for under $5500. (www.kcflight.com), however, a lot of their information (judging by the posts on teh home page) appear to be very old, so I am not sure if they are even in business still.

I have not called any place yet, and like most things, I like to do a bit of research to know which questions to ask!

-Brandon.

That school sounds iffy, another good forum to get on is backcountrypilot.org find someone who can fly the crap out of a plane and you hit it off with. Learn how to fly in a taildragger or glider.

<Fair warning, this post may be/is biased...>

If you're anywhere near OJC, go check out Air Associates of Kansas. I work at Air Associates of Missouri, but know several of them up there, including the owner. The company as a whole is very close-knit and has great values. From my experience with the employees, the CFIs are there because it's not just a way to build time, but because they truly love teaching others to fly and spreading their love of aviation. I've trained at/with a number of flight training organizations across MO; all the way from a free-lance instructor to a flight university. I've also rented from the same... I have to say that I have not looked back at any of the others.

At many other FBOs, I tend to see a disconnect between the flight school and maintenance shop. With some of those schools, the Mx guys would even put transient job above maintaining the flight school fleet. AT Air Associates, I have never seen that. They always primarily focus on maintaining the company fleet, with transients as a side-thought when time allows. Anytime you have a mechanical question that your CFI can't answer, the Mx guys will gladly go out to the aircraft and talk you through it.

(Ps, as a plus, AAK has a pilot there that worked for Era Alaska and was on the show 'Flying Wild Alaska'... :goofy:)

Also are the freelance CFIs a good way to go?!
Opinions certainly vary, but my opinion is that it depends on the individual CFI and the student. For example if you're looking to bang out your training in a small period of time you may be better off at a school (with multiple instructors so that one is always available when you want to fly), while if you plan to fly only a few times (or less) per week, you might have better results with an independent whose schedule still meets your needs.

The only thing that is best in all cases is to interview your prospective trainer/school and find out if they seem to be a fit for what you need. You're the customer, so that puts you in charge.

Welcome to PoA.

You're getting decent advice on the other stuff. Just saying hi. ;)

Back