New here just stated to flying

drotto

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
drotto
New here, just started flying

Hi just found this site and was excited to see what looked like an active training section. I just started flight training about 3 months ago and have about 10 hours logged. I got interested in flying when my dad received his license about 18 months ago and has since purchased a refurbished Piper Saratoga SP. So with a plane now in the family felt a need to learn to fly it.

My local flight school uses mainly Warriors, which I know is different from the typical 152's or 172's, but will hopefully help me transition to the Saratoga in the future. I have just started landing, and am on target (hopefully) to do my first solo in the next 6 to 8 hours of flight time.

So any types, help, or encouragement along the way would be great. Or just talk, because not many people seem to understand or have the tolerance for me to talk about this as much as I would like.

Last edited:
Welcome. If there's anything we do well here, it's talk. :D

Welcome,the warrior is a great trainer,the piper crew builds their line of aircraft,so that you can move up in models fairly easily. Good luck,and remember flying is fun.

Re: New here just started flying

Thanks. It has been frustrating the last few weeks due to bad weather, and since I have a full time job and typical family obligations, getting up once per week is about the best I can do. So a missed flight generally means 2 weeks till the next one. I have had my last two lessons cancelled, once due to snow, and once for wind gusts (just today after I managed to squeeze in a "makeup" flight). Tomorrow is not looking good either (more snow). So I understand it may be slow going.

I even had one of the more interesting abbreviated flights when the plane had a tach failure, and for safety reasons we turned around. Ironically, the ground lesson that day was what constitutes a true emergency get the plane on the ground now, vs when you should try to get down at the closest safest time, but not a true emergency.

I am in Robbinsville, NJ local airport N87.

Last edited:
Welcome. Enjoy the learning process. Not many student pilots have access to a Saratoga. Sweet.

Welcome to PoA! And one of the few legal addictions left to us!

Cancelled again today. Two days in a row. Really frustrated, last three flights weather cancellations.

Cancelled again today. Two days in a row. Really frustrated, last three flights weather cancellations.

Tell me about it. Just getting into my landing groove and cancelled every other week...

This plane is my ultimate goal to fly right now, and what all the training is about.

Attachments

• _MG_4844.JPG
    _MG_4844.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 24
Back