New Headset- Preflight function check

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
I got 2 new sets of passenger headsets and need to check to ensure they work before an upcoming XC. Is there a good way to do this outside of plugging them into an airplane? (I have no idea where my multimeter is right now).

BTW- Standard plugs and both are Passive Noise Reduction (PNR).

Thanks

I got 2 new sets of passenger headsets and need to check to ensure they work before an upcoming XC. Is there a good way to do this outside of plugging them into an airplane? (I have no idea where my multimeter is right now).

Thanks

Do you have, or know someone with, a handheld transceiver?

Do you have, or know someone with, a portable intercom?

A: Have someone stand next to you making airplane "vroom" noises.
B: Put on headset.
C: Verify that "vroom" noises diminish in volume.

No. What is a portable intercom and why would someone have one?

Us old farts that were flying rentals in the 80's sometimes bought and used portable intercoms because the aircraft we flew didn't have an intercom installed. The portable intercom gets power from the cigarette lighter (or batteries) and plugs the mic and headphone plugs into the aircraft plugs.

I still have mine because I never sold it.

The first (of MANY) avionics changes I made to my cherokee was to install a good 4-place intercom a few months after I bought the airplane.

Thanks
I'm flying this weekend. You can send them to me and I'll shake them out for you.
The portable radio isn't a bad idea. Or you could just jump in the plane for a quick radio check. The local pilot shop here used to use a portable and would call the ground controller using his airplane callsign.

Back in the days when I had to carry an intercom because the airplanes didn't have one, or you couldn't hear the Instructor, but you could talk to ATC just fine... I'd just plug them into the portable intercom to test 'em out. ;)

Some home receivers and amplifiers have large audio jacks for headphones that are the same style as a headset's...just make sure to start with the volume at 0. You can also do this with a guitar/bass amp. Unfortunately this doesn't help you test the microphone.

Just out of curiosity, if you bought new headsets, why would you suspect that they don't work in the first place? The likelihood of new headsets not working is a whole lot less than the passenger headset jacks not working in the plane. I'd be more concerned with testing out the plane's intercom system than the headsets by themselves.

Well see when you ask it that way, I can't give back a smart-alek retort.

But its because I have the time and this flight is like planning a wedding. I want everything to be perfect.

Back