new handheld

markb5900

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark B
Got a new hand held as a gift.
This thing is COOL. Has so many functions though, will take me 6 months to remember how to use them all.

http://www.lcflight.com/icom.html

If anyone has that model, would love to know what you "really" use with it.
Thanks

I've got the A6 Comm only handheld. They are a great radio.

What do you mean by "use with it"? Accessories or what?

I've got the A6 Comm only handheld. They are a great radio.

What do you mean by "use with it"? Accessories or what?

Well it has 200 channel memory, that requires hitting xx and xx at the same time to access.
That kind of stuff.
Is it easier to just "program" it on the fly or to go ahead and take the time to load up the memory. That sort of thing.

I just charged the battery, so going to play with it this weekend, just looking for what is "worth" learning how to do and what is the "easiest" uses.

Thanks

Mark B

Why do you think it was bought for me?
JUST for the Taylorcraft!!!

Well it has 200 channel memory, that requires hitting xx and xx at the same time to access.
That kind of stuff.
Is it easier to just "program" it on the fly or to go ahead and take the time to load up the memory. That sort of thing.

I just charged the battery, so going to play with it this weekend, just looking for what is "worth" learning how to do and what is the "easiest" uses.

Thanks

Mark B
I have mine programmed for only a few airports and for TRACON in the couple sectors I fly in most of the time. The airports include ATIS (ASOS), ground and tower. For the text on the programming, I use "PDK_TWR" for KPDK Tower, GND for ground and simply WX for the ATIS or ASOS frequencies.

I can't see loading up all the memory unless you want to sit there and go through the entire region. It's more important you organize them such that they make sense when you need to find a frequency quickly.

I obtained mine only because I had an actual electrical loss and had to return home NORDO. That's not as much an issue at GVL but PDK under Atlanta Class B and Mode C veil.

I couldn't even tell you off the top of my head how to program it. I'd have to look at the thing a moment and recall. It's not that difficult at all. I'm just not recalling all the buttons.

My strongest suggestion is keep it charged. The battery does lose a charge over time. I've seen mine go down by half in a month. I'll put it on charge every couple weeks as I continue flying. More often when I'm flying a few times a week. Tis not wise to get caught coming back to PDK with lost comm.

Ah... Christmas is a month away. Put down the radio. Put the wrapping back on it. Or Santa might take it back!
Fine radio BTW. I replaced a KX99 with it.

Back