New Guy

GreggSRT8

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
GreggSRT8
Hey,

I just joined this forum. Passed my Private Pilot check ride yesterday in a Cessna 172S-G1000. Looking forward to sharing stories and learning from everyone.

Gregg
Dallas, TX
KADS

Hello, welcome to POA. Congratulations!!
Tell us about it.

Congrats on passing, Gregg!!

Lots of North Texas folks here. We can also be found over at DFWpilots.com.

Thanks! :)

I told my wife yesterday morning that I was more nervous today than the day of our wedding. She laughed and said you'll be fine. I must have heard "relax, you'll be fine" 100 times from a dozen people. Every pilot friend, every flight instructor and every relative that knew I was taking my check ride. It doesn't matter how many times you hear it, you can't relax and you don't think you'll be fine.

My oral/practical was scheduled for 1:00 in the afternoon. I've been looking at the weather for 3 days leading up to it and in the back of my head hoping that the forecast would be wrong. It wasn't....HOT 100+ degrees and winds 180 @ 18 gusting to 25. I would have loved for a calmer day but at least I wasn't dealing with a crosswind. My runways were 17 (KHQZ) and 15 (KADS).

I was just as nervous for the oral as I was for the practical. First thing we did was check all my paperwork and go on the IACRA website to verify my eligibility for PPL. This really calmed my nerves. I felt having all the right paperwork as he asked for them was like answering questions correctly and it put me in a positive frame of mind. Relaxed and finally confident for the first time all day we jumped into it. 1.5 hours of questions and the only thing he asked that I missed was the 4 types of altitude and to explain what they are...I answered density and pressure right off the bat and stumbled on the other two. I finally started to talk about AGL and MSL and he asked me what we call those altitudes...he was looking for absolute and indicated but my brain never gave my mouth the answer. Aside from that he said I did excellent. Took a 10 min break and then he briefed me about what we were going to do for the practical.

Preflight was pretty standard...he asked me a few questions about the parts of aircraft and why we do certain preflight checks and then it was time to fly.

We started out on the XC that I was told to preplan for the check ride. KADS to KTYR. After climb out and turn to the east and avoiding class B airspace we got to my second waypoint and checked the heading and the time. We were on course and ahead of schedule. He said that was enough of the XC and told me to put on foggles. He told me that I accidentally flew into the clouds...what to you do? Well I wasn't in clouds before so I did a 180. We did a few more scenarios as if that didn't work (turns and ascents etc) and I got to take the foggles off. He then told me we were lost and wanted me to use a nav aid to find ourselves. I told him we can tune to a VOR and he said lets use the Cedar Creek VOR 114.6. I tuned the VOR and after a few seconds he asked me how we would identify that we had the right VOR. At this time I am confused...I was hearing the morse beeps but was also hearing HIWAS (Cedar Creek doesn't have HIWAS). It took me what felt like forever to realize he gave me the BONHAM VOR freq. Cedar Creek is 114.8. (He tricked me - I never verified the Cedar Creek VOR freq on the sectional and I trusted he was giving me the right info.) We then simulated an engine failure...plenty of places to land in middle of nowhere Texas. We went over one more lost procedure that turned into a ground reference maneuver. Reading town names on water towers also know as turns around a point. We were over Talty, TX! The DE then said take me to Mesquite Metro (KHQZ)...which was perfect as we were southeast of the airport for a perfect 45 degree entry into the left downwind. Normal landing full stop taxi back. Short field take off. Short field landing. Soft field take off. He pulled the power on me on the up wind and yelled WHAT DO YOU DO. I yelled back LAND STRAIGHT AHEAD!! Then he yelled RIGHT ANSWER!! FULL POWER LETS GO BACK TO ADDISON (KADS). I wasn't as entertained as he seemed to be. I wasn't expecting that. We got ATIS called approach then handed off to KADS Tower and it was time for the final test. Soft field landing. Then things got weird...there was a lot of traffic in the pattern and both the DE and myself felt there was something wasn't right with one of the pilots the way he was communicating...after taking off he asked to return to land. He said he didn't have an emergency but just needed to come back so he was number 2 behind us. My DE said do you think you can bring it in tight for a short final soft field. I knew I could do it and I did. Then ATC told us to get off at Golf no delay and contact ground immediately. We complied and went back to the flight school. (We learned later that the Cessna 310 behind us landed gears up on his belly). What a way to end a check ride....we got back JUST IN TIME because the airport shut down for an hour+.

Upon shutting down the DE turned to me and said congratulations you are now a Private Pilot!! After tying down the plane debriefing and getting my Temp Airman Cert. I called everyone I knew...posted on Facebook...tweeted. I was so giddy. One of the happiest days of my life (after my wedding of course).

-Gregg

Yes, GregSRT8, tell us about it. I never heard of that plane before, is it an experimental? (SRT8):D

Its a 470hp Jeep....unfortunately it doesn't have wings...so yes...definitely experimental.

We also did recovering from unusual attitudes somewhere between lost procedures and simulated engine failure.

In addition to names on water towers in Texas... High School football fields will also work.

Entertaining story! Longing the day I feel the same.

Hey,

I just joined this forum. Passed my Private Pilot check ride yesterday in a Cessna 172S-G1000. Looking forward to sharing stories and learning from everyone.

Welcome to the POA forum and CONGRATS on the checkride!!

Congrats and glad you found out the secret to passing, be well prepared. :wink2:

Like most things TEST, being concerned is normal and if it causes you to prepare thoroughly, the actual event turns into a piece of cake.

Now get out there and practice some more.

Cheers

Gregg, first off, CONGRATULATIONS! Doesn't it feel great?

Next, as Mike noted, there are a lot of us around the area, so I'll look forward to meeting you one day soon. I base at ADS, have a Bonanza on the west side. Your check ride sounds a lot like mine, except my landings were all at Denton (KDTO). You ride with Norm? And where did you do your training?

Welcome to PoA. Best thing you can do now is, fly, fly, fly!

Greg,

Welcome! There are lots of DFW fliers on this board and a number of prominent forum pilots out of Addison like Wayne and Spike.

I fly out of Bonham.

We had a Steak eating get together a month or two ago, so keep in touch.

I told my wife yesterday morning that I was more nervous today than the day of our wedding. She laughed and said you'll be fine. I must have heard "relax, you'll be fine" 100 times from a dozen people. Every pilot friend, every flight instructor and every relative that knew I was taking my check ride. It doesn't matter how many times you hear it, you can't relax and you don't think you'll be fine.

My oral/practical was scheduled for 1:00 in the afternoon. I've been looking at the weather for 3 days leading up to it and in the back of my head hoping that the forecast would be wrong. It wasn't....HOT 100+ degrees and winds 180 @ 18 gusting to 25. I would have loved for a calmer day but at least I wasn't dealing with a crosswind. My runways were 17 (KHQZ) and 15 (KADS).

I was just as nervous for the oral as I was for the practical. First thing we did was check all my paperwork and go on the IACRA website to verify my eligibility for PPL. This really calmed my nerves. I felt having all the right paperwork as he asked for them was like answering questions correctly and it put me in a positive frame of mind. Relaxed and finally confident for the first time all day we jumped into it. 1.5 hours of questions and the only thing he asked that I missed was the 4 types of altitude and to explain what they are...I answered density and pressure right off the bat and stumbled on the other two. I finally started to talk about AGL and MSL and he asked me what we call those altitudes...he was looking for absolute and indicated but my brain never gave my mouth the answer. Aside from that he said I did excellent. Took a 10 min break and then he briefed me about what we were going to do for the practical.

Preflight was pretty standard...he asked me a few questions about the parts of aircraft and why we do certain preflight checks and then it was time to fly.

We started out on the XC that I was told to preplan for the check ride. KADS to KTYR. After climb out and turn to the east and avoiding class B airspace we got to my second waypoint and checked the heading and the time. We were on course and ahead of schedule. He said that was enough of the XC and told me to put on foggles. He told me that I accidentally flew into the clouds...what to you do? Well I wasn't in clouds before so I did a 180. We did a few more scenarios as if that didn't work (turns and ascents etc) and I got to take the foggles off. He then told me we were lost and wanted me to use a nav aid to find ourselves. I told him we can tune to a VOR and he said lets use the Cedar Creek VOR 114.6. I tuned the VOR and after a few seconds he asked me how we would identify that we had the right VOR. At this time I am confused...I was hearing the morse beeps but was also hearing HIWAS (Cedar Creek doesn't have HIWAS). It took me what felt like forever to realize he gave me the BONHAM VOR freq. Cedar Creek is 114.8. (He tricked me - I never verified the Cedar Creek VOR freq on the sectional and I trusted he was giving me the right info.) We then simulated an engine failure...plenty of places to land in middle of nowhere Texas. We went over one more lost procedure that turned into a ground reference maneuver. Reading town names on water towers also know as turns around a point. We were over Talty, TX! The DE then said take me to Mesquite Metro (KHQZ)...which was perfect as we were southeast of the airport for a perfect 45 degree entry into the left downwind. Normal landing full stop taxi back. Short field take off. Short field landing. Soft field take off. He pulled the power on me on the up wind and yelled WHAT DO YOU DO. I yelled back LAND STRAIGHT AHEAD!! Then he yelled RIGHT ANSWER!! FULL POWER LETS GO BACK TO ADDISON (KADS). I wasn't as entertained as he seemed to be. I wasn't expecting that. We got ATIS called approach then handed off to KADS Tower and it was time for the final test. Soft field landing. Then things got weird...there was a lot of traffic in the pattern and both the DE and myself felt there was something wasn't right with one of the pilots the way he was communicating...after taking off he asked to return to land. He said he didn't have an emergency but just needed to come back so he was number 2 behind us. My DE said do you think you can bring it in tight for a short final soft field. I knew I could do it and I did. Then ATC told us to get off at Golf no delay and contact ground immediately. We complied and went back to the flight school. (We learned later that the Cessna 310 behind us landed gears up on his belly). What a way to end a check ride....we got back JUST IN TIME because the airport shut down for an hour+.

Upon shutting down the DE turned to me and said congratulations you are now a Private Pilot!! After tying down the plane debriefing and getting my Temp Airman Cert. I called everyone I knew...posted on Facebook...tweeted. I was so giddy. One of the happiest days of my life (after my wedding of course).

-Gregg

Gregg,

I enjoyed your write up more than most because I identified with it on a local basis.

First off when you wrote 114.6 I knew that it was the Bonham VOR. Since I fly out of Bonham, this frequency is commonly in both of my VOR's.

Secondly, it was unreal that you had a 310 land gear up behind you at Addison. About 20 years ago I flew into Addison with a 310 ahead of me and yakking on the radio about his landing gear. He ended up landing okay, but while I was on short final he turned off the runway and the side load folded the gear and punctured a fuel tank. He was not past the hold line so they had me flying a holding pattern over EDS.

I broke out and went to Redbird for a few hours and then came back to Addison.

Is there something about 310's and Addison?

Congrats on the checkride and thanks for the write up. Maybe we will get to meet somewhere along the way. Have you ever flown to Bonham?

Gregg, first off, CONGRATULATIONS! Doesn't it feel great?

Next, as Mike noted, there are a lot of us around the area, so I'll look forward to meeting you one day soon. I base at ADS, have a Bonanza on the west side. Your check ride sounds a lot like mine, except my landings were all at Denton (KDTO). You ride with Norm? And where did you do your training?

Welcome to PoA. Best thing you can do now is, fly, fly, fly!

My DE was Joe Johnson and did my training at Monarch. Hope to see you out there someday.

Gregg,

I enjoyed your write up more than most because I identified with it on a local basis.

First off when you wrote 114.6 I knew that it was the Bonham VOR. Since I fly out of Bonham, this frequency is commonly in both of my VOR's.

Secondly, it was unreal that you had a 310 land gear up behind you at Addison. About 20 years ago I flew into Addison with a 310 ahead of me and yakking on the radio about his landing gear. He ended up landing okay, but while I was on short final he turned off the runway and the side load folded the gear and punctured a fuel tank. He was not past the hold line so they had me flying a holding pattern over EDS.

I broke out and went to Redbird for a few hours and then came back to Addison.

Is there something about 310's and Addison?

Congrats on the checkride and thanks for the write up. Maybe we will get to meet somewhere along the way. Have you ever flown to Bonham?

I didn't do a ton of VOR work in my training so I wasn't familiar with the numbers for all the VOR's in the area. I have not flown to Bonham either. I have been to Tyler, Paris, Bowie, McKinney, Mesquite, Stephenville, Gainsville, Northwest, and Austin.

Not sure what it is about the 310's. I am just glad I was in front of him because it was hot and I was sweating like mule and just wanted it to be over.

I told my wife yesterday morning that I was more nervous today than the day of our wedding.

That took me by surprise as well. I had practiced carefully and was ready. But I was still much more nervous than when I defended my dissertation for 3.5 hours in front of a committee of experts.

Not that it's comparable, but I thought I had that "nerves" thing under control. I was wrong.

My DE was Joe Johnson and did my training at Monarch. Hope to see you out there someday.

Don't know Joe.

I did mine at Monarch, as well, and was quite pleased. Ten (10) years ago right now, sweating in the 172. Time, it flies, while we do the same.

Found some old receipts from when I was training - 172: $78.00/hour, gas (at Tyler) was (I think) $2.10/gallon.

Chuckle.

Congratulations, Greg. Your learning has just begun. You can learn a great deal from this forum.

If you ever have any questions, uncertainties, just post here and some great, knowledgeable people will respond.

Get started on the Instrument rating as soon as you can. It will not only enable you to fly more often, cancel less trips, but will give valuable knowledge about our Airspace System, make you a better pilot hands on, and make you more comfortable and skillful.

Again, congratulations and best wishes.

I've had the power suddenly pulled on climb out a few times by an instructor. They are looking to see if you instinctively allow the nose to drop and maintain airspeed, or if you freak out and keep pulling back on the yoke, airspeed decaying....

one of those is bad so they say ...

I have been to Tyler, Paris, Bowie, McKinney, Mesquite, Stephenville, Gainsville, Northwest, and Austin.

You're missing the jewel of the west side... Alliance (KAFW) and their super cool tower crew. One of the few tower's I've encountered the actually exercise their sense of humor. Information Bubba is a great example.

It's a good place to practice.

Not to far away is Rhome Meadow, T76. A public grass strip that is a nice place to practice soft field procedures.

Don't know how I forgot Alliance!!!!...I have been there. I was on the downwind and an F-18 was on short final. It was the first fighter jet i've seen in the air while I was flying. Unforgettable!

-Gregg

I wasn't prepared either when he pulled my power on upwind, though there was no shouting!

Great write up, welcome to POA.

Don't know how I forgot Alliance!!!!...I have been there. I was on the downwind and an F-18 was on short final. It was the first fighter jet i've seen in the air while I was flying. Unforgettable!

I was doing my XC 5TX0 ABI CWC 52F when I saw a group o F18s flying south to north between Alliance and MWL.

I was in a Piper 140 and doing 100, they were hammer down and moving FAST.:yikes:

Traffic was no factor, well, for an experienced pilot.

Favorite training memory at Alliance was doing laps on 16R and a Navy BBJ 737 was doing the same on 16L. More than once we we facing one another on our base legs.

Another was during some solo time when the Pacific Prowler showed up and I got follow him around for a few.

Back