New Guy

Jhernandez04

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
TheHulk
Hey guys, I've been lurking for months now. Looking for the right plane for my mission plan. Was looking at either a 182 or 235 cherokee, due to the decent speed and usable load. Well, a few things led to my decision and I went with the PA-28 235 Cherokee (64')

I couldn't be happier as a first time plane owner! Im getting 135KTS and the usable load says 1416lbs (havent even gotten close to that though.) Im a student pilot and just logged my first two hours. I'm hooked!

Going again tomorrow afternoon!

Attachments

• IMG_0274.JPG
    IMG_0274.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0272.JPG
    IMG_0272.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 90
Nice plane! I know that you're new here...but you should know that pictures don't count unless you post a pic of the panel as well. :yes:

Welcome to PoA...

Smartest way to do it, pick a capable plane and buy a good copy before you start, enjoy.

Last edited:
You bought a plane before you started lessons? You lucky dog. :thumbsup:

I wish it was luck, more like hard work and going against my wifes wishes (uh... demands....) haha

Nice plane! I know that you're new here...but you should know that pictures don't count unless you post a pic of the panel as well.

Welcome to PoA...

Thanks, I'll get that pic tomorrow!!

Smartest way to do, pick a capable plane and buy a good copy before you start, enjoy.

Thats kinda what I was thinking! I was not going to pay 150$ an hour for a cessna 172 when:

A) I didnt want a 172
B) Im paying for someone elses plane.
C)After 40 hours of usage I'd have a huge chunk of a plane paid for
(if it was mine)

I love the fact that after I successfully get my PPL I can load the WHOLE family up and FULL fuel.

Hey guys, I've been lurking for months now. Looking for the right plane for my mission plan. Was looking at either a 182 or 235 cherokee, due to the decent speed and usable load. Well, a few things led to my decision and I went with the PA-28 235 Cherokee (64')

I couldn't be happier as a first time plane owner! Im getting 135KTS and the usable load says 1416lbs (havent even gotten close to that though.) Im a student pilot and just logged my first two hours. I'm hooked!

Going again tomorrow afternoon!

Sell it and buy a real man's plane. RV - 10 ;)

Just kidding.... Welcome. Congrats on the plane, stick with it. If you have any questions on your training just ask.

Last edited:
Welcome to POA. Tell us a bit a out yourself. Where are you from?

Im from Oklahoma. I stay active in athletics and work in the Safety field. Not really sure why or how I got the urge to fly/own a plane. But I got it, and haven't let up since (February). Something the is unique about me is that I fight professionally in mixed martial arts. Do we have any fans here?

Welcome to PoA. Enjoy your learning to fly experience and enjoy your new airplane. Nothing quite like flying!

Im from Oklahoma. I stay active in athletics and work in the Safety field. Not really sure why or how I got the urge to fly/own a plane. But I got it, and haven't let up since (February). Something the is unique about me is that I fight professionally in mixed martial arts. Do we have any fans here?

I have a few liberal buddies you can practice on in the Spin Zone! :rofl::rofl:

Great choice in airplane! Always liked the 235.

Welcome!

Heh. Move the AI to the center, and move the CDI where the AI is and the DG bottom left. Haha. Shotgun panel!

Right here! I fought PKA full contact kickboxing league (precursor to UFC) for two years!

Welcome, Mr. Hernandez! Nice plane, and you're right - a Cherokee 235 is a fine choice.

---

We also have a former pro wrestler ("Nick Nitro") and an occasional cage fighter here...

Where in the exceptional state of Oklahoma are you based?

Welcome, Mr. Hernandez! Nice plane, and you're right - a Cherokee 235 is a fine choice.

---

We also have a former pro wrestler ("Nick Nitro") and an occasional cage fighter here...

Where in the exceptional state of Oklahoma are you based?

KADM and thank you, im really enjoying my decision! It seems like the 235 has a lot of power, we did stalls today and it powered through everything. I even noticed 1100FPM climb to 3500ft

Is that a carb temp gauge? I found them nice to have.

Not sure?

Heh. Move the AI to the center, and move the CDI where the AI is and the DG bottom left. Haha. Shotgun panel!

Not sure what you mean, can you elaborate?

Right here! I fought PKA full contact kickboxing league (precursor to UFC) for two years!

Awesome, do you still train?

Oh I was joking about the locations of the instruments. It's a non-standard layout, like almost all older instrument panels. It'll serve you fine. No worries.

Oh I was joking about the locations of the instruments. It's a non-standard layout, like almost all older instrument panels. It'll serve you fine. No worries.

Good deal, I would like to upgrade the panel eventually. But I think i'd better learn how to use them first ;)

What are those?

Click on the pic of my plane and you'll see the G-500, that's the display unit. I don't have the 750 yet, I have Garmin's older 430w which is a good box with dog **** cudge of a user interface which the 750 replaces with an excellent user interface.

Those are pretty awesome! How much are those? I have something in my plane, its on the far right side of the panel pic. Not sure if its good or what?

KADM and thank you, im really enjoying my decision! It seems like the 235 has a lot of power, we did stalls today and it powered through everything. I even noticed 1100FPM climb to 3500ft

Not sure?

Not sure what you mean, can you elaborate?

Awesome, do you still train?

Afraid not for fighting, but I still hit the gym seven days a week.

Great idea. I am about to pull the trigger on a pilots license. However that plane burns 9-10 gph in fuel (probably more durring training), so that's ~60 of the cost of a rental, and my rental is $110 an hour wet.

So in the end, you save $2000 (if you get it in 40). That's a nice savings (and it would be great to learn in your own plane), but I worry about not knowing what I don't know.

I would hate to buy a plane, and then after I become a pilot, wish I had gotten something else.

Then again, if that did happen, and you just sold it for what you paid for it, you are still 2+ grand ahead.

Hmm... you got me thinking! :)

Great idea. I am about to pull the trigger on a pilots license. However that plane burns 9-10 gph in fuel (probably more durring training), so that's ~60 of the cost of a rental, and my rental is $110 an hour wet.

So in the end, you save $2000 (if you get it in 40). That's a nice savings (and it would be great to learn in your own plane), but I worry about not knowing what I don't know.

I would hate to buy a plane, and then after I become a pilot, wish I had gotten something else.

Then again, if that did happen, and you just sold it for what you paid for it, you are still 2+ grand ahead.

Hmm... you got me thinking! :)

Well, I dont have access to a bunch of planes around here, pretty much 172's and piper 140's. So I used the internet to help me decide. I had my mission plan so I knew what performance I was looking for. Highwing/low wing did not matter to me. Price had to be good. Under 45K.

If your like me you've never flown small aircraft, so how would you wish you'd gotten something else after you became a pilot if you've only flown one thing? I took this into consideration as well. Which made my decision pretty easy once I found the right plane to fit my needs.

I rented for my private but have considered buying something to do the IR in. I figure I come out ahead if I can find a real cheap 150/172 and then dump it when I finish. But I worry about the maintenance on a cheap 150/172, which could turn the whole equation back to being cheaper to rent very quickly. If I could just get my wife to allow me to take on a sugar mamma I wouldn't have to make these kinds of decisions. She just doesn't understand...

Don't mind DenvorPilot, he's just jealous of the location of your wings =D

My Apache has a shotgun panel too, it looks like someone fired at the panel with a shotgun and just stuck instruments wherever there happened to be holes afterwards. =D

Welcome to Pilots of America.

Thanks!

Don't mind DenvorPilot, he's just jealous of the location of your wings =D

My Apache has a shotgun panel too, it looks like someone fired at the panel with a shotgun and just stuck instruments wherever there happened to be holes afterwards. =D

Lol I see what you guys mean. Your right. Which is why i'll be making it a glass cockpit ( I assume thats the correct term?) and getting all the instruments on one screen. I guess like an Aspen?

If your like me you've never flown small aircraft, so how would you wish you'd gotten something else after you became a pilot if you've only flown one thing?

My small airport 10 minutes away has a 172, 150, and Mooney M20 for rent. I took my discovery flight in the 172 (so my wife could come along), and will train in the 150. I am going to request some time in the Mooney as well.

In less then an hour and a half drive from my home, additional aircraft to rent are:
Piper Arrow PA-28RT-201
Cessna 177B Cardinal
Cessna 182R Skylane
Piper PA-28R-180 Arrow
Super Decathlon
Extra 300L
Piper Cherokee PA-28-140
Piper Warrior PA-28-151/161
Piper J-3 Cub
Diamond DA-40 Diamond Star
PiperSport Light Sport Aircraft
Bellanca Citabria
Piper Warrior II
Piper Warrior III
Piper Arrow III
Piper Arrow IV
Piper Archer III
Piper Cherokee Six 300
and a dozen different models of 172's

As far as know what I don't know... hard to say with just the discovery flight down. Maybe a plane feels awesome.. until you get 4 people in it, and then you wish you had a different model. Maybe I end up taking off and lading at the same airport just for fun, or fly to other locations, and learn mpg is very important to me. Maybe some flight characteristic feels special to me, and I want a plane that excels at that. Maybe cabin noise matters. Maybe my wife gets more sick on one over the other. Maybe how it handles cold weather. Who knows.

My guess is the deciding factor for me is not even in that list. It will be something I haven't thought of yet.

Again, I think it's a smart move to buy. Like I said, you can just sell it if in the end it does not become the plane you hoped it would. And there is something to learning in a plane you own over renting.

My reasons for not doing it, is not to criticize your decision to do it. I think it's awesome! :)

Last edited:
Back