New guy here looking for a Hangar @ PDK

BonanzaDriver

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
BonanzaDriver
Hey guys,
I have been lurking here for awhile and figured it was time for me to join :)

Anyway, I am exhausting every resource available to try and find a t-hangar for rent/buy @ PDK. I own a 91 F33A bonanza and my bird needs a home, the hot Georgia sun isn't friendly to a new paint job.

If anyone knows anything, I would love to hear it!

Thanks guys!

Welcome to the best pilot forum on the net. I can't help you with your hunt for a hangar in GA but good luck.

Welcome!

It's slim pickin's just about all over from what I hear. It's true of Gainesville up here as well. The new hangars built a couple years ago filled in no time. The only chance for expansion now also means shutting down a runway.

I understand they were going to build a few more hangars off the end of 16 at PDK but not sure if it's still happening.

Not trying to state the obvious, but you have tried this number also, right?

Tie Down Rentals(770) 936-5440

Most airports in my next of the woods have a waitlist that they maintain. Perhaps Peachtree does too.

welcome! Dean was right, you have found a good place, pull up a chair...

Thanks for the responses guys! I actually am tied down @ LZU right now, but the drive from buckhead is killing me (an hour each way!)

My irrational hope is to become some wealthy old woman's cabana boy, and she'll buy me the land to the north of PDK.

:)

I'll check out the PDK master plan page. Again, I appreciate it guys!

Thanks for the responses guys! I actually am tied down @ LZU right now, but the drive from buckhead is killing me (an hour each way!)

My irrational hope is to become some wealthy old woman's cabana boy, and she'll buy me the land to the north of PDK.

:)

I'll check out the PDK master plan page. Again, I appreciate it guys!

If you're at LZU give Rich, the owner of 8085X a hard time on my behalf :D

I presume you have your name on a waitlist. However, keep in mind that not all waitlists are created equal. Get your face (and tribulation) known to the manager who makes the calls when a hangar comes open. Conversationally ask if there's anything you can do to help out at the airport -- "good neighbor" days picking up litter, cook during a bbq, whatever. Just happen to stop by occasionally with some donuts or pizza. Be the squeaky wheel.

If you're at LZU give Rich, the owner of 8085X a hard time on my behalf :D
...and don't forget Pancake Bunny Rich, who is also tied down at LZU.

It is my understanding the line for a hangar at PDK is quite long, and always has been. There may still be space at Air Harbor on the south side of LZU. I know that doesn't solve your driving problem, but hey this is Atlanta. It's an hour drive anywhere!

BonanzaDriver said:

Two words: Johnny's Hideaway. :fcross: :goofy: :yes: :blowingkisses: :cheerswine: :rofl:

-Rich

I presume you have your name on a waitlist. However, keep in mind that not all waitlists are created equal. Get your face (and tribulation) known to the manager who makes the calls when a hangar comes open. Conversationally ask if there's anything you can do to help out at the airport -- "good neighbor" days picking up litter, cook during a bbq, whatever. Just happen to stop by occasionally with some donuts or pizza. Be the squeaky wheel.
That's good advice for all of us, even us lowly renters.

But . . .

How does doing all that help you get a hangar? If I were on a list and someone got bumped in front of me because he kissed more ass, I'd be freakin' p*ssed. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but the GA community is too small and fragile for us not to treat each other with more respect than that.

How does doing all that help you get a hangar? If I were on a list and someone got bumped in front of me because he kissed more ass, I'd be freakin' p*ssed. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but the GA community is too small and fragile for us not to treat each other with more respect than that.

There is a local airport we're trying to get into, and the gouge is to BS up the airport manager as much as possible. Sorry, but it happens...:(

But . . .

LOL...be ****ed, this happens far, far more than you think. Not that I have done it, but I know it happens. BTW...most pilots are very respectful of each other, but when it comes to a 50-100K aircraft sitting in the sun baking or getting inside a hangar, that respect may be stretched a bit! ;)

But . . .

Almost EVERY time I have not lobbied for myself, I have been waitlisted for years. The two times I lobbied for myself I had a gang hangar "temporarily" and than had a T-hangar within a couple of months. The sole exception is when I moved to Jax and got a vacant T-hangar that was empty because it was too small for even a Cherokee. Of course the roof leaked, the doors didn't work right, and the electrical service was a fire waiting to happen, but the fabric was out of the sun.

Bill has been on a hangar waiting list for 2yrs (He thought ahead where I did not) and they still expect it to be another 2-3 years before we get one. Now that a plane is on the way let the lobbying begin!!

Edit: This kinda goes along with Ken's other thread. It's not always what you know, It's who ya know

Last edited:

Ah, but you have made the profound error of presuming that airport management are a part of the "GA community." Which they can be (especially at smaller fields), but so frequently are not.

At many GA fields, the airport management is just another city-hired bureaucrat, with all that that implies. I know it will come as a shock to you, but sometimes, the city/town/village functionaries who run the airport don't know much about the airport, and don't much care.

Ask me how I know (!). :vomit:

So you learn the system, you work the system, and you hope.

Edit: This kinda goes along with Ken's other thread. It's not always what you know, It's who ya know
Yeah, I feel like a hypocrite, with a thread on one had saying "be fair" and a thread on the other saying "work the system." :dunno:

So just ignore my amoral little self!!!!!!!! :D

Yeah, I feel like a hypocrite, with a thread on one had saying "be fair" and a thread on the other saying "work the system." :dunno:

So just ignore my amoral little self!!!!!!!! :D

OK, we'll ignore your amoral self, and pay close mind to the pragmatic you, instead.

If you are expecting years on a wait list, you need to get creative. Do you have any airpark communities in your area? Sometimes the old guy who can't fly any more is still in the house - with a hangar full of junk. Can't hurt to check around and make him an offer. He may like having a plane in his hangar again. Offer to take him up and let him fly once in a while with you. Near me I know of 2 such situations. One the widow of a pilot who died in a crash, and rents the hangar; and another old couple who have 3 old cars in the hangar just taking up space.

Last edited:
Bill has been on a hangar waiting list for 2yrs (He thought ahead where I did not) and they still expect it to be another 2-3 years before we get one. Now that a plane is on the way let the lobbying begin!!

How far are you from Dalton? They had hangars the last time I was there.

Back