new GPS for iPad/iPhone/Android

Rigged4Flight

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Rigged4Flight
Garmin GLO: the most accurate and fastest updating (updates 10x/second, and includes 24 more satellites than normal) bluetooth GPS on the market. Powered either by internal batteries (12 hour charge) or external power supply. Takes location readings from both US and Russian satellites. I would assume (and I know what that acronym means) that this would mean it wouldn't be as susceptible to outages in the US GPS system. :dunno:

The aviation version comes with a 6 month subscription to Garmin's Pilot app. Also comes with a cockpit mount. I haven't found an actual review of the device yet. The aviation version is available now, but the regular version won't be available for a while.

Links:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=109826&ra=true#overviewTab

http://www.gpsnews.org/category/gps-system/

lf-lg.jpg

Last edited:
So what does this buy you with an Ipad? I couldn't beneficially use greater accuracy than the built in GPS provides.

I posted it because of the other thread about the GPS system having intermittent outages. Since it looks at both the US and Russian satellite networks, the possibility that it will lose it's location lock is greatly reduced. It also has a much longer battery charge life than the Dual Electronics GPS.

As for your question, there are many reports on the 'net about the iPad GPS being inaccurate - especially when used in aviation. The iPad uses a combination of GPS, wi-fi georeferencing and cell tower triangulation to obtain location data. Stick it in an airplane and go high enough and you'll lose half of the built-in capabilities that the designers thought you would need in order to overcome the weaknesses of the internal GPS they equipped it with.

I know that many pilots have never had an issue with the built-in iPad GPS. When I start using my iPad for flight ops, I don't intend to become one of the numbers of pilots that depended on it and wished they hadn't. YMMV, of course. ;)

Last edited:
As for your question, there are many reports on the 'net about the iPad GPS being inaccurate - especially when used in aviation. The iPad uses a combination of GPS, wi-fi georeferencing and cell tower triangulation to obtain location data. Stick it in an airplane and go high enough and you'll lose half of the built-in capabilities that the designers thought you would need in order to overcome the weaknesses of the internal GPS they equipped it with.

Your statement is not quite accurate. The cellular-equipped iPad has a genuine GPS that does not require WiFi or Cellular connectivity at all. The iPad itself will use other sources of location information to identify your position more quickly, or when GPS data is not available. It does not rely on those other sources of information in order to calculate accurate position information.

My iPad GPS works just fine, and with just as much accuracy, in areas where I have neither a WiFi nor cellular signal. Using the iPad's internal GPS, I routinely see accuracy to within 15-20 feet, which is about as accurate as I'd ever need it to be.

The Garmin device, as with other external units, may be of mostly of interest to those with WiFi-only iPads, which do not have an internal GPS receiver.

JKG

Your statement is not quite accurate. The cellular-equipped iPad has a genuine GPS that does not require WiFi or Cellular connectivity at all. The iPad itself will use other sources of location information to identify your position more quickly, or when GPS data is not available. It does not rely on those other sources of information in order to calculate accurate position information.

My iPad GPS works just fine, and with just as much accuracy, in areas where I have neither a WiFi nor cellular signal. Using the iPad's internal GPS, I routinely see accuracy to within 15-20 feet, which is about as accurate as I'd ever need it to be.

The Garmin device, as with other external units, may be of mostly of interest to those with WiFi-only iPads, which do not have an internal GPS receiver.

JKG
That is what I meant to convey. And also that pilots have reported inaccurate GPS data - as well as the thread about GPS service outages, which would not be a problem with this device.

Personally, I can't see myself buying this. But I also wouldn't buy a Bad Elf or Dual Electronics GPS either. I plan on buying an ADS-B GPS/antenna for the wealth of other situational data it provides.

addendum/update/caveat: If the intermittent GPS network outages mentioned in the other thread are caused by solar flares, this device will have the same issues as any other GPS. The Russian satellites are no better than ours at shielding from solar radiation.

Back