New Garmin GTNs - Dumb Question

bigmo

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
bigmo
I can't believe I don't know this - or can even find a discussion on the topic. With a NEW avionics purchase of a Garmin GTN (in the USA), does Garmin include/ship the units with *any* data? By data, I mean, a basemap, navigation data, obstacle, safe taxi, or terrain. I'm lining up install now and am thinking ahead to subscriptions.

FWIW, I have everything I need/want now on my twin G3X - and am happy with how they perform. I'm only adding the GTN so I have a certified navigator with vertical guidance. With that being said, I *believe* the only thing I need to purchase is the "Navigation Data - United States" correct? It's $129 one-time or $299 subscription. I have everything else subscribed on the G3X.

You get a coupon to use online for one current cycle of all data. Then you buy a subscription. Garmin has all sorts of "packs" but eventually seems that a single 650/750 (w/o charts) is around $600 per year for the US. Note this price is for all the stuff, not just the nav data. Don't know enough about G3X's own subscriptions to know if just data is enough.

It should come with a full set of databases without any updates. You can fly using that (assuming you don’t fly procedures that have changed and other caveats like that) until your G3X subscription comes due, then pick a bundle to have full updates on all devices. This usually works out well. Also, it is worth calling or emailing Garmin support to ask for transition options. I upgraded a panel last year and Garmin was helpful to go from what I had paid for to what I needed.

Through April , if you buy a GTN, they will give you a 1 year One Pack (covers everything in your panel and the basic Garmin Pilot). If you subscription for your G3X is less than 6 months old, they will refund a prorated amount back.

Our GTN 650Xi was installed 2 years ago and was good for 12 months. Now that the US database is expired, we are considering updating only the navigation database and not the others (obstacles, safetaxi, terrain and basemap). Can you do that, or does it make sense to spend the money and update all of the databases "one time."

Terrain and basemap don't change much.

Obstacles do. And having up to date Safe Taxi can save a violation.

I fly IFR, so keep the databases fully up to date.

Back