New free $100 hamburger site

groucho

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Groucho
Hey everybody-

Just wanted to drop a note about a recently lauched website of mine, www.fly2lunch.com. It's a completely free place to search & review fly-in restaurants. It's usable from either your normal computer or your favorite mobile device (cell phone, PDA, etc). You can also get airport info for any airport in the US. Please check it out & add a few reviews of your own.

Thanks!
-Bryan
http://www.fly2lunch.com

Last edited:
Hey - that's awesome! Can't wait to help you out!

Good deal... a long awaited site! It might even inspire stops during student cross countries. :)

Hey everybody-

Just wanted to drop a note about a recently lauched website of mine, www.fly2lunch.com. It's a completely free place to search & review fly-in restaurants. It's usable from either your normal computer or your favorite mobile device (cell phone, PDA, etc). You can also get airport info for any airport in the US. Please check it out & add a few reviews of your own.

Thanks!
-Bryan

I like the proximity search, but it appears that there's a lot of restaurants missing and I don't see a way to add them?

For example, I searched within 100nm of MSN for on-airport restaurants and only JVL and LNR showed up. Missing (off the top of my head) is Final Approach at SBM and Pilot Pete's at 06C (and I'm sure I'm missing some, as I've eaten at both of these within the last month!) Oh yeah, and EAU has one on the field too. And how could I forget The Jet Room right at MSN!

Within 100nm of MSN and up to a long drive only adds Lake Lawn. There's tons missing here: Two across the street at 3W0. Schreiner's who will pick you up from FDL. Unique Cafe or one other one a short courtesy car ride from OVS. Steakfire near RYV. El Greco on the edge of MWC. The Italian place around the corner from RAC. The supper club, Culver's and the restaurant down the street from PDC. The restaurant at Morris. Sunset Grill across the street from 40D. Mom's and the bar&grill up at 6Y9 (OK not within 100nm but still missing).

Where'd the data come from, and how can we add to it?

The airport data is straight from the FAA. The restaurant data is added from users all over & by me one at a time. I've started out in my neck of the woods & I'm working across the country.

If you know of a restaurant that's not in the database, there are several ways to add a new one. The easiest ways to add a new restaurant is to click on the "Add a New Restaurant" button or the "Add a Review" link. From there, it'll direct you to everything you need to do.

Another way is to do an "All airports" search & click on the "None" link for an airport that doesn't have any restaurants listed.

Yet another way is to do a "Get Airport Info" search from the main page for the airport you'd like to add a restaurant to. Once you get to the page containing that airport's info, you can click on the link at the end of the "If you would like to add one, please click here" toward the top of the page.

It's worth mentioning that to fight off the spambots from filling up the page with junk, users are required to get an account. It's fairly painless and, like the whole site, free. The account requirement has completely stopped (so far) any spam/junk posts - so, the accounts are a necessary evil to make the page easy for me to manage.

Hope this helps!
-Bryan

If you know of a restaurant that's not in the database, there are several ways to add a new one. The easiest ways to add a new restaurant is to click on the "Add a New Restaurant" button

Which I didn't see 'cuz it's a big happy blue ball. :redface:

or the "Add a Review" link.

Which I didn't see 'cuz it's a teeny tiny link. :redface:

Off to get my eyes checked...

Which I didn't see 'cuz it's a big happy blue ball. :redface:

Which I didn't see 'cuz it's a teeny tiny link. :redface:

Off to get my eyes checked...
:D

I also just turned on a "Recent Reviews" list on the main page so that everyone can see the last couple day's worth of additions.

Thanks everybody,
-Bryan

It's worth mentioning that to fight off the spambots from filling up the page with junk, users are required to get an account. It's fairly painless and, like the whole site, free.

And, "flyingcheesehead" works for registration, but when I try to log in I get to "flyingcheesehea" and can't type any more, so I can't log in. :no:

And, "flyingcheesehead" works for registration, but when I try to log in I get to "flyingcheesehea" and can't type any more, so I can't log in.
Fixed - sorry about that. Congrats, you have the longest user name at the site. :)

Well Groucho. i like the site. And will be adding a couple places. I need to find out if Kutztowns Rest. is still open first.
Dave G

It's still not working, though... Did the whole thing make it into the database?
It might have gotten messed up during registration, but your entire user name is there. I reset your password - check your Private Messages here for the new one. Sorry for the pain. (edit: it looks like you're able to log in now - sweet)

HR, I'm sending you a private message here too. Looking at the times, it looks like you got bit by me updating files fixing the earlier problem. (edit: looks like your account is good now too)

Thanks to everyone that's posted reviews & checked out the site!

Last edited:
Tried to add a few local restaurants, registered and confirmed, but it says my password is wrong :dunno:

I'm on my laptop, and when I go to http://www.fly2lunch.com, it sends me to http://www.fly2lunch.com/mobile, and I'm unable to find anything related to editing.

Otherwise, great idea for a site, especially for mobile users. Cool.
Thanks skyflyer8. The web page looks at your browser to decide if it should redirect to the mobile site automatically. I'll take a look & see what needs tweaking. Sometimes when new versions of browsers show up, they "smell" like mobile browsers.

The mobile site doesn't let you add reviews. I wanted the mobile side to be easy to use from a cell or PDA, so all you can do is search exisiting reviews, restaurants & airports.

Tried to add a few local restaurants, registered and confirmed, but it says my password is wrong :dunno:

A couple people here have seen this, but I haven't been able to track down the problem. I'll reset your password at the site. Please let me know if you don't get a new password confirmation email soon. If anyone else runs into this, you can reset your password here: http://www.fly2lunch.com/forgot.php After it's reset, you can log in & change your password in the "My Account" area. If anyone else runs into this, please let me know so I can keep the hunt going for the fix.

Sweet avatar BTW.

Nice site. I added a more favorable review of Florentinos at KLNS.

Great, thanks!

Last edited:
Love the site. Added a few favorite restaurants. Will be back to add more. Told some friends and hope they will, too.

Someone forgot a ;

Too funny. That worked with Safari & IE, but not with Firefox. Fixed!

Aunt Peggy is my new hero - 6 reviews yesterday! Thanks for spreading the word.

Several others added reviews yesterday & today too...thanks!!

I also just turned on a "Recent Reviews" list on the main page so that everyone can see the last couple day's worth of additions.

Thanks everybody,
-Bryan
I think it would be a good idea to display the most recent reviews on the first page even if they are not within your time guideline. I like to see what other people have written.

I think it would be a good idea to display the most recent reviews on the first page even if they are not within your time guideline. I like to see what other people have written.
See, I'm just trying to motivate you to check back every couple days. ;) It goes back 2 days now. Would a week be enough?

-Bryan

Hmm, I tried to take a look as well. I tried it with Firefox and it went to the mobile site then tried it with Safari and it went to the mobile site again. Don't have and won't put MSIE on my computer, so I guess I'm locked out. :(

Maybe I'll try it with my wifes computer. Or, with my mobile phone... :)

Great idea! I'm going to put a link to it on my blog.

I just signed up and added APA's "Perfect Landing". Given the original $100 Hamburger site owners' decision to charge pilots, I really ope this project meets with success. I'll be spreading the word.

Aunt Peggy- I updated the "new reviews" on the main page to list the last week's worth of activity. Whatcha think?

Flypatchfly- I sent a reply to your PM. If you let me know what versions of Firefox & Safari you tried I bet I can fix it. I installed fresh versions of both in September & they both work fine from here. I'll also add a cookie setting soon to override the default redirect for those that get sent to the mobile site by accident.

midlifeflyer- Thanks for the review!

Back