New forums created.

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
We've added a number of new forums for fly in events in Cool Places to Fly, and also a Sports Section under the general area, with subforums for fantasy gaming. I only set up baseball and football for now, but if there's any other fantasy gaming you folks are interested in, let us know. :)

And just a reminder, you can "opt out" of any forum from the "New Posts" link by going to your Options in your control panel.

ROFL thats cute Scott.

No, Fantasy gaming is when you pretend to be a team owner. You join a league and set up your own team, but you use the stats of real players. So you might set up a football team using players from either league.

Your team earns points based on how your individual players do.

Or something like that. I dunno, I don't do it m'self. I play MMORPGs instead. :)

I play MMORPGs instead. :)
Bet you loved the South Park Episode about World of Warcraft!! After watching that episode I actually wanted to go buy the game and play. One of our business dev people is really into WoW, she play it almost everynight and then tells us about it. It is hard but she is out nerding the engineers!! :rofl::rofl:

Could you please create a forum for the folks who love Macs? Oh, never mind. I guess you'd need to have more than two or three people participating to make it worthwhile.

:rolleyes: :rofl:

I've not heard of fantasy games, or whatever the reference was, but I thought a thanks was in order for filling what must have been a need with some of our members.

Greebo is right. You join a league for whatever sport is in season. Typically you do this with a bunch of people that you know, but there are ones you can join at random. Then, they have the draft. If it's a bunch of people that know each other, you'll typically have a live draft, where you get together to drink beer, and you take turns going around the room and selecting available players for your team. The order you do this in is usually determined by drawing numbers out of a hat. The number of players you get on the team varies by sport, so since I do Fantasy Football, I'll use that as an example. We get either 15 or 17 players on our team (I can't remember). Then, before the games each week, you can modify your lineup. The positions you can play at a time are determined by your league commissioner. In my league, we could have 1 QB, 3 WR's, 2 RB's, 2 TE's, 1 Kicker, and 1 Defense (you counted an entire team's defense as 1 player). I might be missing a couple, but that's the gist of it.

Then, each stat that the players can put up in their real-live games is assigned a point value before the league starts by the commissioner. I.e., a touchdown is 6 League Points (LP), an extra point attempt is 1 LP, a field goal from 10-30 yds = 3LP, 30-40 yds = 4LP, 10 passing yards = 1 LP, 10 receiving yards = 1 LP, 10 rushing yards = 2LP, etc.

When the league begins, your Fantasy Team will be matched up against another fantasy team from your league each week. After all of your players plays their real-life games, the point values from their stats are added up, and the fantasy team with the most LP's at the end of the game wins. Typically, the fantasy league runs 14 - 15 weeks, depending on the size, then there are 1-2 weeks of playoffs and a championship game. The championship fantasy game always coincides with the last week of the NFL season, since not all of your fantasy players will be on teams that will make it to the real-life playoffs.

There are a few more details, but that's the basic gist of it. There are several online services that provide the stat tracking and league hosting - some for free, some for fee. For my office league, we use Yahoo! Sports.

So, is anyone interested in participating in a POA Fantasy Football League this year? I'd be willing to act as commissioner...

Last edited:
We've added a number of new forums for fly in events in Cool Places to Fly, and also a Sports Section under the general area, with subforums for fantasy gaming. I only set up baseball and football for now, but if there's any other fantasy gaming you folks are interested in, let us know. :)

How about fantasy relationships...:D

Jesse & Steve is the first that comes to mind :rofl:

Could you please create a forum for the folks who love Macs? Oh, never mind. I guess you'd need to have more than two or three people participating to make it worthwhile.

Genius: you just can't keep it down.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

We've added a number of new forums

Holy overkill, Batman!

I'm having a fly-in next week, can I have my own forum?

(*wonders where all this came from...*)

EDIT: I don't mean to sound un-appreciative :no:. I just don't get why we have the sudden glut of forums when single threads would do for some of them... :dunno:

Last edited:
Single threads don't work well for annual events. The only problem I'd see with the multiple fora is if there were threads that didn't fit clearly into one of them. If that's the case, one can always put the thread in the parent forum.

Here is a question, or perhaps a sugestion. Over on the red board the "Aircraft Ownership" forum is the second most active forum for total posts. Here we do not have anything specific to ownership issues. Is that something needed? Or do we just go to AOPA about ownership?

Also, I read something about a "Yellow Board". What is that? Red, Blue, now Yellow. How many aviation boards are you aware of?

theres zillions dwight. yellow board is often reffered to as the "old" AOPA board. green is studentpilot.com i think most of the ownership questinos get answered pretty well here between hangar talk and maintenance bay, even though there is no specific forum for it

We certainly can add a forum for owners. Look for it soon. :)

Thanks. But no one actually told me what and where the Yellow Board is. Is it still active? Why would it be the "old" AOPA site? I found the Green one OK.

Thanks. But no one actually told me what and where the Yellow Board is. Is it still active? Why would it be the "old" AOPA site? I found the Green one OK.

Yes, "yellow board" was the old AOPA site, predecessor to the red board. A lot of us came from the yellow board, and in fact this site was started just before the yellow board was taken down for a while before the red board was launched.

As for whether it's active, the answer could be either "No" or "Yes, it's called the red board now."

Did anyone see South Park last night? Apparently it was a repeat - it was the one where they were all online war-gamers? It was hilarious! The "heavy-metal" band they had as the overlay music was funny - it kept repeating "Live to Win!" and then just "Live"... "Win"... ad nauseum.

Back