New Feature Test - double posting goes into same post

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
This is a test, and an announcement, at the same time.

I've just added a feature where if you reply to a thread twice in a row within 1 hour and nobody has replied since you last replied, your new reply will be added to the end of your previous reply.

And now for the test:

This is a new reply. If this shows up in the first post, it works. :)

Yep, it works! :)

Hmm - it doesn't refresh the page if you do a quick reply...that could be confusing...

Last edited:
wow - does it really work??

thats a trip, man, never seen that on a forum before

but does it work for 3 in a row - and does it mistakenly add to the post count?

guess not :)

Last edited:
Yeah it helps reduce spam posting as well, not that we have an issue with that here.

The not refreshing is a known bug, this is actually a "beta" modification - so when it gets fixed I'll apply the change.

Chuck, you have obviously become an undisputed High Order Hoke-Phenoke' Kung Fu Master of the 8th Degree on this software....Congratulations Grasshoppa..... Do you and The Esteemed Robert of the Board of the Red Dragons share this sort of information as it reveals itself unto you? Or must he walk the rice paper alone........
While I deem myself unworthy to actually POST in the land of the Red, this feature would make the decipherment of the missives posted there and the timely, concise and thoughtful replies there more easily read.

From one who is truly ignorant.... (and reads both boards for enlightenment)
Thanks

Most of the stuff I do in this software is other people's work that they've published and I've leveraged. I can't take credit for anything but knowing where to find it.

I do keep an eye on the tech forum in red-land and try to provide what info I can, when appropriate. :)

I did this today.

When it came back from the 2nd post, that new text wasn't showing. I had to refresh to get it to show up.

Firefox latest version.

Original Post said:
Hmm - it doesn't refresh the page if you do a quick reply...that could be confusing...
Thats what I mean - when you use quick reply, it doesn't auto refresh. It's a known issue with the hack and the author is going to fix it as soon as he can.

It does it to everybody. If you double post using quick reply, it won't auto refresh.

Heres an option Id like, a tag that shows which threads have messages that have responded to any of my posts. It would have to pick up quotes of your messages, I guess.

That way, when I am away for a couple days I can make sure I can follow up on messages directed at me without reading the entire POA.

I suppose a moderator could get sick of 'helpful suggestions' like this!

We show a little --> symbol in the threads in which you've replied. That symbol takes you to *your* last post in the thread. If you see a thread with that little --> in it, and there are new replies, they might be to you... but they might not. :)

This feature has some bad side effects.

LIKE I often type or mispell stuff and edit it after I hit submit to fix it.

So THAT happens. I has happened. Not good.

Did you get a patch to fix that?

I ended up with the entire content of my message posted twice.

It didn't happen here when I tried to make it happen, maybe becuase I didn't have any quotes in message?

mikea said:
This feature has some bad side effects.

LIKE I often type or mispell stuff and edit it after I hit submit to fix it.

So THAT happens. I has happened. Not good.

Did you get a patch to fix that?

I ended up with the entire content of my message posted twice.

It didn't happen here when I tried to make it happen, maybe becuase I didn't have any quotes in message?

Lemme try it with a quote.

There ya go!

Last edited:
I don't get it...

You quoted yourself, so there's the message, and the quoted message... the quoted message is not the same message as the message. Neither appears twice...

Could you try explaining it again?

Greebo said:
I don't get it...

You quoted yourself, so there's the message, and the quoted message... the quoted message is not the same message as the message. Neither appears twice...

Could you try explaining it again?
I had little luck in reproducing what happened.

It was as simple as this.

1) Reply, Edit, Spellcheck [Submit]

Read my post. Uh, oh, missed a typo.

2) Edit existing message. Fix the typo. [Submit]

I ended up with TWO copies of my post merged together - the one with the typo and the corrected version.

I have since edited the post where this happend again to delete the duplicate text. It wasn't the one on this thread.

I had another problem with the merging feature. Suppose I WANT my reply to myself to be a new post because I'm adding new information. Why? Will anybody who read the previous post see the updated or additional information I just added to thread...or will they see my previous message as already read?

Update: I did that very [Edit] thing with this post and the dupe didn't happen.

Last edited:
Back