New FBO and Restaurant at Sheboygan

bstratt

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Canuck
Anyone tried out the new FBO at Sheboygan Falls? Apparently it cost a bundle. The guy has hired a chef to run the dining room and the windows overlook the runway. Also selling BP avgas. Figure I'll make a trip up to see it soon.

Anyone tried out the new FBO at Sheboygan Falls? Apparently it cost a bundle. The guy has hired a chef to run the dining room and the windows overlook the runway. Also selling BP avgas. Figure I'll make a trip up to see it soon.

Kate and I just went there tonight. It looks like they're not completely finished with the FBO (HUGE ramp with no paint on it yet, a shop with a lot of empty wall/floor space, etc.) but what they've got so far is really nice. The FBO (Burrows Aviation) and the restaurant (Final Approach) are both in the same building, which is at the south end of the field near the approach end of runway 3.

The restaurant has flowers on the table, plants everywhere, nice tables, and a bunch of windows that go way up high so you can see planes in the pattern. It's a pretty good size, seating capacity 160. They must be doing some pretty good marketing to the locals, 'cuz there were quite a few people eating there and there were only two planes on the ramp including ours.

We started out with "onion petals" with a chipotle lime dipping sauce (also available with ranch). They were really good, the sauce had some kick but not too much. They're easier to eat than onion rings or straws too.

I had the New York Strip which was done to perfection, accompanied by garlic mashed potatoes and veggies on a cast-iron skillet, and a salad with raspberry vinaigrette dressing served on a chilled plate. Nicely done.

Kate will have to give her own review of the pan-fried perch.

The service was good, and I liked the place a lot overall. It's certainly on the nicer end of airport restaurants, but I didn't feel too out of place in shorts and a T-shirt. This is comparable to the old Vince's at Muncie, or Pilot Pete's at Schaumburg. The tab came to $58 with tax and tip, but I felt that we got what I paid for. :yes:

Highly recommended! Now when are we gonna have a fly-in there?

Sounds good to me. Why don't we look towards the end of September?

22nd is out for me (for lunch anyway, I could do dinner) 'cuz we're washing and waxing the planes that morning. 23rd (Sunday) I could do lunch.

29th, hopefully I'll be headed east with Mike to go have fun on MVY before going to AOPA Expo.

15th or 16th would be OK though...

Hey, they get the ultimate recommendation ....

TRUCKERS eat there!

LOL!

If we can work it into our schedule, we will!

Thanks for the tip! I've only lived in Wisconsin for a year, so I'm always looking for a good place to fly to.

I may head up there tonight. Anyone interested? Otherwise perhaps Pilot Pete's. It jsut depends on how tired I am after work.
I really need to mow the lawn tonight :(. After all the rain, it's growing WAY too fast! Otherwise, I'd be all over it.

I really need to mow the lawn tonight :(. After all the rain, it's growing WAY too fast! Otherwise, I'd be all over it.
Tell me about it. I mowed yesterday instead of flying. That may have been a mistake looking at the NEXRAD display for Cheeseland. There is another T-storm up that way. The forecast for here shows VMC for the day. If that holds it may just be Pilot Pete's for me tonight.

I recommend the place. I've never been to such a nice restaurant on an airport. Places like this are few and far between. Not cheap though... I think most of the dinner items were $15+.

There were a couple gates in the fence by where we parked, where you normally would be able to go through and go to the main entrance to the restaurant. But one of them was tied shut and the other didn't look promising either, so we went in through a side door to the FBO and then "the back way" through the restaurant. Sort of weird but we figured it out.

The food was good and you get plenty of it. The restaurant is pretty big so I can see a PoA gathering in the future.

Good to know. That has been a turn around point for me when flying the lake front. Now we will have a lunch stop too.

Scott, I'm curious. When flying the lakefront, do you go over, around or through Milwaukee's Class Charlie airspace?

Scott, I'm curious. When flying the lakefront, do you go over, around or through Milwaukee's Class Charlie airspace?

Through it. Never had a problem with Milwaukee. Sometimes they ask us to change an altitude or when going south to head straight tot he airport and over fly runway 19R. Only once did they ask me to remain clear for 5 minutes.

Weekend before last I was at 3500MSL southbound, as we were parallel to runway 19 a 717 from Midwest express took of. ATC advised he would be climbing to 3000MSL and then turning right. The 717 had us in sight and we had him. He passed 500 feet underneath us. That was pretty neat we could see in his cockpit. The pax I am sure was wondering if they were going to hit us. Right after he went under he started his climb. That close he looked like a fighter jet shooting up into the sky!

MKE approach guys are just wonderful. After we loose them around Kenosha the next people to talk to are Waukegan tower. A lot of time we are in their airspace and they are easy to work with. After that nothing until you get close to MDW. Those guys will talk to you if you are cutting in to the west. But if not Gary Tower will give you advisories.

MKE approach guys are just wonderful.

As someone who doesn't fly with a Coast Guard callsign, I have to disagree - MKE is the biggest pain in the ass class C I've ever worked with. Not that they're bad by ORD standards, but they a) don't take VFR FF handoffs, and b) always say "remain clear of class charlie" unless I'm landing there.

BTW, FWIW, at about 11:00 PM last night I not only got FF, I got cleared through ORD class B at 6,500 feet (lakeshore, direct Campbell when able). Must be something about Sunday nights. :dunno:

As someone who doesn't fly with a Coast Guard callsign, I have to disagree - MKE is the biggest pain in the ass class C I've ever worked with. Not that they're bad by ORD standards, but they a) don't take VFR FF handoffs, and b) always say "remain clear of class charlie" unless I'm landing there.

BTW, FWIW, at about 11:00 PM last night I not only got FF, I got cleared through ORD class B at 6,500 feet (lakeshore, direct Campbell when able). Must be something about Sunday nights. :dunno:
I've had both good and bad experiences with MKE. Once when I was flying in there I couldn't even get them to acknowledge me from the time I tried calling around Waukegan until I was doing 360's to the west of MKE to avoid their airspace. When we went to Sheboygan on the way up to Gastons, they gave us FF right through their airspace with no problem.

Never really had a problem with MKE approach. If you ask you can usually get the lakeshore transition, but if you can go via Badger they usually route you that way. As for FF never been truned down by MKE.

Pete

Never really had a problem with MKE approach. If you ask you can usually get the lakeshore transition, but if you can go via Badger they usually route you that way. As for FF never been truned down by MKE.

Pete

You experience is much different than mine even when I am not using the CG callsign. I have gotten FF handoffs, just last Labor Day coming back from 6Y9 they took the handoff from Chi-Center. I fly into Timmerman a bunch too and they don't give me problems. They do get busy though! When it comes to Class C they only place I really have ever had a tough time was the Palm Beech Class C. I think they put the semi-retired Chi-App controllers there.

Kent and his trainee and I went to the restaurant again this past Friday night.

They changed their menu quite a bit. Seems most of the options got even fancier and pricier. http://www.burrowsaviation.com/sheboyganfbo/Menu

The steaks were good.

It's almost worth the trip just to see the fantastic new aviation-themed mural.

Back