New FAA Nominee

Be careful what you wish for. I remember Babble when he was the ALPA President. He's all airline all the time. He will not be a friend to GA.

And he has one other problem, if you can call it that. He's a lobbyist currently lobbying for companies that deal with the FAA. As if that matters to our current administration.

I know... I was looking for the tiny gimmer of bright side.

He's coming from ALPA, which -- as far as I can tell -- is not exactly committed to GA interests.

From ALPA site:

"Kay adamantly maintained that a sustained funding source must be central to any discussion of modernizing our airspace. “A project of this scale and significance cannot stop and start because of sporadic funding,” he said."

Hmm... that sure sounds like hill-speak for User fees.

And he has one other problem, if you can call it that. He's a lobbyist currently lobbying for companies that deal with the FAA. As if that matters to our current administration.

Read the article, the whole article, and nothing but the article:

Mr. Babbitt cancelled his lobbying registration in April 2007. In a letter attached to his final lobbying-disclosure form, an office manager in Mr. Babbitt's office said: "We have done no lobbying for this period, and have not done any lobbying for the several periods before it."

Why is NextGen the 2nd priority? How is NG going to address flight dealys? Does it remove thunderstorms from Georgia? Let airliners land two by two? What, exactly?
I don't see why it should be a priority at all. The current ADS/B proposal is much worse than RADAR/Mode C, it won't be cheaper, and of course the RADAR stations won't be decommissioned. Not to speak of the fact that many other countries aren't implementing it.

This is one of my few issues with AOPA's position. Why do they continue to talk about NextGen? It's not in our (their constituents interest).

-Felix

User Fees will decrease traffic volume, decreased volume will mean lower revenue which will require increased fees per operation, which in turn will cause further reduction if volume as people can no longer afford to fly. Decreased GA user volume will increase fees paid by Airlines.

User Fees do not provide a steady level of revenue. Agreed that income from Aviation Fuel taxes fluctuated also.

Just ask the Post Office. Mail volume goes down with advancing technolgy in online bill pay and "paperless" billing and banking and email, texting etc. Decrease in mail volume requires higher postage fees to face rising costs of operation. They are facing cuts to include reducing the number of times per week that you will receive mail deliveries at your home or place of business.

Yes, putting a stamp on that birthday card to grandma is PAYING A USER FEE.

Just ask the Post Office. Mail volume goes down with advancing technolgy in online bill pay and "paperless" billing and banking and email, texting etc. Decrease in mail volume requires higher postage fees to face rising costs of operation. They are facing cuts to include reducing the number of times per week that you will receive mail deliveries at your home or place of business.

Yes, putting a stamp on that birthday card to grandma is PAYING A USER FEE.

Do you remember when the post office tried to get Congress to pass a tax on email to fund themselves? What a joke.

At least they finally came out with the "forever stamp". Prior to that you could buy a roll of stamps that decreased in value every time they raised their rates even though you already pre-paid for their service. Amazingly they now sell both kinds of stamps for the same price. Why would anyone buy the non "forever" kind?

Yes I remember that attempt to charge for emails to fund the post office.
I also remember a political cartoon in conjunction with a postage rate increase, the volume of fax, email increased.. this was before "texting".

Back