New excuse for not flying

poadeleted20

Deleted
It’s clear and a million, light winds, sunny and beautiful, but my trainee and I can’t fly today due to weather...

...there’s so much snow on the hangar roof, its weight has jammed the doors shut.:frown3:

Electric doors. :)

There have been times when the electric bi-fold doors at KBED
have been frozen shut. The grading in front of some the T's
allows the water to puddle at the door.

Get a torpedo heater and fire it up. It will melt the snow.
Actually, that idea occurred to us, and he has a torpedo heater. His partner is going out to the airport tomorrow to try it. Only problems are what happens when two feet of snow and ice go sliding off the roof, and what plastic deformation has already occurred to the doors.

Only problems are what happens when two feet of snow and ice go sliding off the roof, and what plastic deformation has already occurred to the doors.
We had problems with that once on our hangar which is pretty large and was pretty new at the time. The load of snow came off the roof and put a good sized buckle in one of the walls. I didn't think it would do that. I guess others didn't either.

It’s clear and a million, light winds, sunny and beautiful, but my trainee and I can’t fly today due to weather...
I thought this was going in the direction of the Dilbert cartoon in which the airline gate agent tells the passenger that his flight is delayed due to weather. When asked what kind of weather, the agent replies, "Our planes can't handle direct sunlight." :D

Do NOT climb on the roof. Go to a nearby boating store or a top line hardware store, and buy 100 feet of 1/2" NEN Braid line. Let it get good and cold. Tie a short 2x4 (say 12" long) on one end and THROW it over to the other end of the gable.

Then the TWO of you traction the rope from each end, and SLIDE it down the slope of the roof. Do this about four or five times, Neither EVER standing below the edge of the roof slope.

This works. Ask me how I know.
Sign me, "did my time in the frozen north- and never left.....sigh".

You could also buy a roof rake from the local hardware store (at least they carry them around these parts). Ask me how I know...

41ueuYOJGYL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Got out of my hangar. Had to shovel for a bit, good exercise. Had to call for a tow. Job security for the line guy. Lets hear it for the Frozen North!

Back